Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 08:59 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times

Advertisements

What's with the pessimism of a select couple posters on here suddenly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 09:33 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
Pittsburgh was on life support in 1983 when unemployment was 17.1 percent. It died in 2003 when the city went into act 47 and the regions largest for profit employer with 10,000 employees, USAirways, left. If you were not around during those times you missed it. The growth you see is the size of the maggots eating away at what remains of the corpse.

I've been here all my life, I know quite well what the area has been through. You're basically saying that the rebound we've seen recently just doesn't count, we should give up, and continue to focus on the decline of yesterday? I'm so thankful attitudes like yours are in the minority, otherwise, this area would have continued going to hell versus rebound at all. After the blows Pittsburgh received, it takes DECADES to even have semblance of a rebound and we've done exceptionally well. Negative things will always happen...EVERYWHERE. Companies leave NYC, LA, Chicago...because it's BUSINESS. The ratio of jobs coming in versus going out is higher and that has been PROVEN to you.

I seriously cannot comprehend why someone with your attitude would stay another day. I beg you to go and find a better suited area for yourself. On the way out though, be sure to tell the tightest Class A office market in the country that the city is for sure dying...

Class A office vacancy rate now below five percent in the Golden Triangle - Pittsburgh Business Times

Old 08-14-2013, 05:48 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
zman mentioned he was looking for work i believe.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:14 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,242,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
zman is a professional Pittsburgh nihilist. He's best ignored.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:30 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I belive at least one of them is too lazy to look for a job so they just whine that they "can't find a job", even while employers, such as yours truly, can't find enough able bodies to fill our positions, indicating our city's economy is actually red-hot.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:32 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
If zman acts ANYTHING in person like he acts online, no wonder he can't find a job. A "ho-hum" attitude is not a "CAN DO!" attitude for any job.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:39 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
If zman acts ANYTHING in person like he acts online, no wonder he can't find a job. A "ho-hum" attitude is not a "CAN DO!" attitude for any job.
And "ho-hum" would be a step up from his attitude.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
Agreed. If you go into an interview exuding an aura of "Eeyore"-ism instead of confidence, then you're not very likely to land ANY job!

Old 08-14-2013, 06:58 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Not to break up the circlejerk, but rumor on the streets is that a certain airport-area company just finished up on cutting 400 jobs (can't go into much more detail than that). No matter how you want to spin it, it has not been a good week for news in the city's job market.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Not to break up the circlejerk, but rumor on the streets is that a certain airport-area company just finished up on cutting 400 jobs (can't go into much more detail than that). No matter how you want to spin it, it has not been a good week for news in the city's job market.
If you're unemployed you should be doing everything in your ability to secure employment. When my father was laid off from a management position with IBM he worked at a gas station and a stock clerk at a grocery store while my mother also worked two jobs to pay our bills. They're both college graduates, but unlike today's unemployed masses they weren't "above" working at jobs beneath their skill level as they sat at Starbucks all day "networking". When I moved up here from NoVA I quickly accepted one of the two job (no, not "career") opportunities that I had available to me almost immediately in order to support myself instead of whining to Uncle Sam asking for my mortgage to be bailed out. When I hear people who are out of work "long-term" while I can't find enough people to fill our positions I KNOW we have a generation of unemployed who are now just looking for serial sympathy and to game the system. The jobs I'm offering aren't glamorous, but they certainly pay the bills until something better comes along! If you'd rather struggle for month after month don't blame Pittsburgh's job market when there are employers, like me, who can't fill positions. Our city deserves better than to be bashed by the unemployed by chioce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh