Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 09:51 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
She doesn't live there. She lives in Avalon.

Looks like the kids don't live there either.
It really doesn't matter. That road is still a main short cut from east to west North Side and 279. I take that shortcut all the time when I come down 28S because you can avoid many of the lights in North Side. She may have been visiting someone and heading home or to the store or wherever. We don't know. That is not an area where people only go to buy drugs. It just makes me sick that everyone assumes it was drug related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 09:54 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I'd get out of my car if someone struck it with a rock. As to doing it in front of witnesses, these are obviously people of lesser intelligence thus probably didn't think about it.
I would get out of my car too. I usually do. Only recently have I decided to stay in my car or very close to my open car door. The recent news of the stand your ground ruling influenced how I handled the biker. I normally would have gotten out of my car to find out what he wanted, but I only leaned out my open door to hear what he was saying.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:09 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It really doesn't matter. That road is still a main short cut from east to west North Side and 279. I take that shortcut all the time when I come down 28S because you can avoid many of the lights in North Side. She may have been visiting someone and heading home or to the store or wherever. We don't know. That is not an area where people only go to buy drugs. It just makes me sick that everyone assumes it was drug related.
I would hardly call two people "everyone". If anything most feel it was just a women cutting through that street which many of us have done and her car was hit with a bottle and she reacted as many people would. Stop and say, "What is your problem?" Then she was jumped and robbed while being called white this and white that. It is pretty darn disturbing and even someone on here said it was probably a backlash from the Trayvon case and almost justifying such an act. Really? That is what my gut says as well. If the backlashes were to continue, if that is what they are, I suspect the reverse of that will be much worse for the black community as folks read and listen to more and more cases like this or even worse, like that murder of that college kid in Oakland the other day. All this because some Hispanic shot someone and it went so viral that the entire globe was glued to it. There is a murder every day in Pittsburgh's metro, but once one news story goes viral like that Orlando shooting all others are background noise unless you are involved directly. It is an interesting study, but also pretty sad. I don't feel humans should be exposed to all this hyped up media. It really isn't healthy.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:24 AM

288 posts, read 511,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I would hardly call two people "everyone". If anything most feel it was just a women cutting through that street which many of us have done and her car was hit with a bottle and she reacted as many people would. Stop and say, "What is your problem?" Then she was jumped and robbed while being called white this and white that. It is pretty darn disturbing and even someone on here said it was probably a backlash from the Trayvon case and almost justifying such an act. Really? That is what my gut says as well. If the backlashes were to continue, if that is what they are, I suspect the reverse of that will be much worse for the black community as folks read and listen to more and more cases like this or even worse, like that murder of that college kid in Oakland the other day. All this because some Hispanic shot someone and it went so viral that the entire globe was glued to it. There is a murder every day in Pittsburgh's metro, but once one news story goes viral like that Orlando shooting all others are background noise unless you are involved directly. It is an interesting study, but also pretty sad. I don't feel humans should be exposed to all this hyped up media. It really isn't healthy.
I really don't know if 3 young, black girls from the city of Pittsburgh said to themselves, "I'm so upset about the Trayvon Martin verdict that I'm going to go take my rage out on an unsuspecting white person." They were probably bored, doing something stupid, and this woman called them out for it and they chose the type of conflict resolution they were used to seeing; violence.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:32 AM

35 posts, read 64,377 times
I sincerely hope the OP is an elaborate troll.

So much garbage in this thread I dont know where to begin...

This is my neighborhood, and guess what: I'm white! Yes thats correct, white people do in fact live on the northside. I live a stone's throw from where this occurred and my roomate actually witnessed the attack (guess what, he is white too!!). I travel through that intersection on an almost daily basis either by bike or in my truck, and occasionally on foot. So all you jackasses spouting conjecture about what motivated the attack and what this neighborhood is like can save it. I assure you, you have no idea what you are talking about.

No doubt there are some bad elements in this hood, but this is most definitely an isolated incident. Random acts of violence are not the norm here. Were there racial undertones? Maybe. I'm sure alot of minorities grow up with some animosity toward the privileged majority. But if Trayvon Martin had anything to do with this, it only exacerbated tension that was already there. The northside is not filled with roving bands of angry teenagers looking to KILL WHITEY.

The women was not on the northside for drugs. Uptown Kid is straight up full of it, and I seriously question most of the "street report" crap he posts here. That stuff doesn't help, it only galvanizes an image of inner city neighborhoods full of violent black kids in gangs.

SteelCityRising and some of these other great "board thinkers" really need to get called out more often. The stuff you all post on here is downright absurd.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:37 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah121 View Post
I really don't know if 3 young, black girls from the city of Pittsburgh said to themselves, "I'm so upset about the Trayvon Martin verdict that I'm going to go take my rage out on an unsuspecting white person." They were probably bored, doing something stupid, and this woman called them out for it and they chose the type of conflict resolution they were used to seeing; violence.
No, I don't think it is planned in that way. It is more of an overall attitude that lends itself to an act. It is pretty obvious race is involved if they were yelling it as they were beating this women and robbing her. I just feel there is racial tension in the air since that shooting in Orlando that went viral is all.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:40 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by new believer View Post

This is my neighborhood, and guess what: I'm white! Yes thats correct, white people do in fact live on the northside. I live a stone's throw from where this occurred and my roomate actually witnessed the attack (guess what, he is white too!!). I travel through that intersection on an almost daily basis either by bike or in my truck, and occasionally on foot. So all you jackasses spouting conjecture about what motivated the attack and what this neighborhood is like can save it. I assure you, you have no idea what you are talking about.

No doubt there are some bad elements in this hood, but this is most definitely an isolated incident. Random acts of violence are not the norm here. Were there racial undertones? Maybe. I'm sure alot of minorities grow up with some animosity toward the privileged majority. But if Trayvon Martin had anything to do with this, it only exacerbated tension that was already there. The northside is not filled with roving bands of angry teenagers looking to KILL WHITEY.

The women was not on the northside for drugs. Uptown Kid is straight up full of it, and I seriously question most of the "street report" crap he posts here. That stuff doesn't help, it only galvanizes an image of inner city neighborhoods full of violent black kids in gangs.

SteelCityRising and some of these other great "board thinkers" really need to get called out more often. The stuff you all post on here is downright absurd.
Good post. It is an isolated incident. The thugs aren't even from there, so that sort of tells that part of it. Shame it happened.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:58 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new believer View Post

Very good. This sums it up nicely I think. Isolated incident, not indicative of anything in particular, that seems most likely. Thanks for sharing your insight about living there.

BTW, yes, OP obviously a troll (apart from noting the incident happening).

Old 08-29-2013, 11:03 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I was talking about George Zimmerman - The Trayvon Martin CASE....Sorry if you couldn't get that.

Pittsburgh is no more racist/non racist than any other city in the North.... Hell I see more Interracial couples in the Burgh than in any of the Bigger Cities on the Coast. Don't let the ignorance you find on City Data paint your entire view of Pittsburgh.

Most of the Racial Ignorance on here comes from Old Scared Yinzers who do nothing but feed on Faux News rhetoric anyway, except SCR who's shown he can be just plain ignorant at times.
It was obvious which case you were referring to.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:06 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It really doesn't matter.
Yeah, I agree it doesn't matter where the victim lived. More I think about it, the more I think it's significant that the perps didn't live there. This goes back to isolated incident, not something to indict the whole neighborhood, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Yeah, I agree. Anyone's first reaction would be to stop your car and confront people throwing a bottle at your car.
Anyone's? Hm. Well, I guess, yeah, first reaction is anger and WTF and who the F did that to my car and so forth. But getting out to confront some dumb childish BS like that is not something that is likely to end well, and we would do well to think it through rather than rushing to confront.

Of course, I say that sitting here with the comfort of not having been in that situation so I realize that is not the same as being able to be calm and clear headed in the middle of it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh