Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 05:17 PM

510 posts, read 900,010 times

Advertisements

I am still reeling from the death of Autumn Klein.
Then last week I read about Roy Kirk's murder of Ann Hoover in Oakland in the late 1990s. I think it was one of the creepiest stories that I have ever heard--If I shared a wall with my neighbor I would be checking it regularly for chinks.
Some of you have lived here a while and are good historians. What other terrifying crimes have occurred in Pittsburgh? Are there any big unsolved cases?
I know it is a morbid topic, but it is a diversion from discussions about how ugly Pittsburgh women are.

ETA: I admit this is a terrible thread title--of course all murders are scary and tragic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 05:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,590,543 times
There was a murder of an very elderly women in Arnold or New Kensington in the early 90s. I don't remember if she was raped or not. I do remember her body was craved up with satanic crap but details weren't given. It terrified me to hear about it. I don't think they ever caught who did it. I can't find any old news article to link here. It happened between 1992 and 1994.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:37 PM

288 posts, read 508,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveKendall View Post
I am still reeling from the death of Autumn Klein.
Then last week I read about Roy Kirk's murder of Ann Hoover in Oakland in the late 1990s. I think it was one of the creepiest stories that I have ever heard--If I shared a wall with my neighbor I would be checking it regularly for chinks.
Some of you have lived here a while and are good historians. What other terrifying crimes have occurred in Pittsburgh? Are there any big unsolved cases?
I know it is a morbid topic, but it is a diversion from discussions about how ugly Pittsburgh women are.

ETA: I admit this is a terrible thread title--of course all murders are scary and tragic.
I used to look for abandon houses in Lawrenceville to potentially try and purchase. One was owned by Roy Kirk. When I tried to look his information up I found that story. Pretty crazy.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:01 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,195,072 times
The Pittsburgh Press - Google News Archive Search

The 1985 murder of an elderly Homewood Brushton couple, Sarah and Boykin Gibson, by a group of young teenagers is still pretty disturbing to me. There were 5 perps who tied them up and stabbed them to death. At least one of the identified individuals was subsequently released and got back into trouble.

The arson murder of Joseph Marcinek in North Oakland about 12 years ago was also disturbing. The convicted murderer was targeting a young lady who had dumped him, he set fire to the dwelling and Mr. Marcinek was one of the other tenants.

The 1987 stabbing murder of Jeane Goldberg in South Park by a CMU student was also pretty disturbing. The man who is serving a life sentence is still complaining about the interrogation.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:22 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,182,291 times
Unsolved Cases: Catherine Corkery - Police & Fire - Dormont-Brookline, PA Patch

Old 08-31-2013, 08:33 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,484,569 times
Heard about this for the first time this year (while reading this Patch article) and thought it was creepy:

Unsolved Cases: Richard and Donna Hyde of Moon Township - Police & Fire - Robinson-Moon, PA Patch

If you click the link to the Beaver County Times story, it was believed that the killer followed the wife around Beaver Valley Mall as she was Christmas shopping, and then followed her home.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,590,543 times
I finally found articles about the one in Arnold, PA. It's even worse than I remember. The rape was after-the-fact.

Quote:
ARNOLD, Pa. —Relatives of a 74-year-old woman who was murdered then physically and sexually mutilated 19 years ago have once again hung posters on utility poles advertising a $10,000 reward for information in her slaying.

The Valley News Dispatch (Yearly ritual is wrenching for Arnold family | TribLIVE ) reports Monday that Stephanie Coyle was killed in her garage apartment in Arnold on July 16, 1993.

Police say Coyle was found nude and the killer carved a design in her back and sexually abused her corpse after cutting her throat and slashing her body.

Read more: 1993 Arnold slaying still unsolved | Westmoreland Co. News - WTAE Home
This lengthy article says it's "one of Alle-Kiski Valley's most infamous and unsettling police cases."

Case of Arnold mother brutally stabbed to death 20 years ago... | www.wpxi.com

Old 08-31-2013, 11:30 PM

64 posts, read 91,218 times
Yikes...I think I'm going to stick to the ugly women or bad driver threads for now on!! Some of this stuff is downright scary and horror movie creepy. Those murders in the late 70's are simply terrifying to read about, I can imagine it was a very frightening time to be living in the area.

Truth is stranger than fiction...it's unsettling at times to think of the things that humans will do to other humans.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:19 AM

4,692 posts, read 8,981,503 times
It looks like Ann Hoover owned the house at 321 Lawn Street. Roy Kirk must have owned the house at 323 Lawn. Both seem to be occupied today. I wonder if the renters who live there know they're living in a creepy murder house. That's gotta be one haunted basement.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:46 AM

12,225 posts, read 6,390,535 times
The daughter of a friend of mine was murdered and dumped in the river in 2007. The police have been keeping an eye on the #1 suspect ( ex-boyfriend) but an arrest won`t be made until they`re sure they can get a conviction.

Kelly Nicole Smith's killing remains unsolved | TribLIVE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh