Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 11:49 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,579,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Tough call. I'd say #1 or #2 also but I'm leaning heavily towards #2.

#1 -- My girlfriend lives in Turtle Creek. It's not a bad area. It has a grocery store and other the community amenities. My only concern is that the house is small. You seemed to be looking for more space.

#2 -- I like that you already live in this area. You won't be needing to blaze a new trail. I love Craftsman Bungalows. You say you can easily afford the mortgage.

Why I don't like #3 -- I've lived on Spring Hill. I never considered it to be dangerous. It's not. But there is NOTHING up there. Nothing. You'll have to shoot up McKnight Road for grocery shopping if you don't want to shop in that dump of a Giant Eagle in East Allegheny. I don't like that it has siding. Even though the exterior looks intact, it's going to be a big deal to restore the exterior and you already don't like that you need to replace the trim and mantels for the interior.
The "ghetto" Eagle really doesn't strike me as being that bad. I tend to use more exotic ingredients that you can't find there more often than most on here given my culinary background, and yet this store seems to suit our needs just fine for the most part. There are some questionable characters in there from time to time, but I don't mind it given that our grocery bills are significantly cheaper when shopping there versus the waterworks or McKnight Rd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 11:52 AM

461 posts, read 745,186 times
I'll go out on a limb and say Spring Hill, if the house isn't too close to the projects (crime and noise): your passion is for restoration and you could take your time doing the job correctly, even if it means living in an ugly house for a while. Hopes is right, there really isn't that much happening in Spring Hill, but you would have easy access to the stores on East Ohio; I think that area is going to improve. IIRC, HipPriest lives in Spring Hill tell you more about the neighborhood.

My second choice would be the craftsman, since you know and enjoy the area.

Like you, I love not having a mortgage; there is a lot of comfort in knowing that you don't have to worry too much about losing one's home if things go badly in life.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:12 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
Since I've been cyber-creaming my pants intermittently while looking at homes in East Allegheny I would also pitch the Spring Hill home to you. As the East End continues to gentrify (cue "the rent's too damn high" guy here) in the coming years other parts of the city will certainly see accelerating spillover development from younger people trying to enter an increasingly cost-prohibitive housing market in our urban core. Being within walking distance to the Strip District, Downtown, and the heart of the Lower North Side, along with being a 5-minute drive to McKnight(mare) Road, I simply don't foresee East Allegheny, Spring Garden, Spring Hill, Fineview, or Troy Hill trekking anything but upwards in the coming years. East Allegheny is also the site of a proposed "T" light rail station for the route to Cranberry Township, which will make it possible for young professionals to commute sans car while not sacrificing urban living.

Also, you're gay. I'm gay. I don't exactly envision Turtle Creek as housing a dense concentration of LGBT individuals hand-holding and skipping down the street. The Mexican War Streets are well-known to be very gay-friendly. I'm presuming you'll want to continue dating. Would you really want to drive from work in Lincoln-Lemington to home in Turtle Creek and then back to the city AGAIN to date? 100% of our gay and lesbian friends live in the city proper---Garfield, Shadyside, Greenfield, Central North Side, Polish Hill, Lawrenceville, and Mt. Washington.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:42 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
2.Not a bad idea if you're just looking for a new home and are ready to hang up your hobby.
In a subsequent post, he says number 3 needs work.

Quote:
The "ghetto" Eagle really doesn't strike me as being that bad. I tend to use more exotic ingredients that you can't find there more often than most on here given my culinary background, and yet this store seems to suit our needs just fine for the most part. There are some questionable characters in there from time to time, but I don't mind it given that our grocery bills are significantly cheaper when shopping there versus the waterworks or McKnight Rd.
The GE isn't that bad. It's just dirty and the selection isn't the greatest since it's a small GE. I disagree that it's cheaper than McKnight. Kuhns is my favorite and I wish it was more convenient to me. Also, there are three discount grocery stores on McKnight too---Bottom Dollar, Valu King, and Aldi.

I'm not against North Side at all. If he were considering Troy Hill, I'd say go for it because it has businesses on the hill. There's just nothing up there on Spring Hill.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Also, you're gay. I'm gay. I don't exactly envision Turtle Creek as housing a dense concentration of LGBT individuals hand-holding and skipping down the street. The Mexican War Streets are well-known to be very gay-friendly. I'm presuming you'll want to continue dating. Would you really want to drive from work in Lincoln-Lemington to home in Turtle Creek and then back to the city AGAIN to date? 100% of our gay and lesbian friends live in the city proper---Garfield, Shadyside, Greenfield, Central North Side, Polish Hill, Lawrenceville, and Mt. Washington.
You would have said the same thing about Stowe when he was moving there, but his neighbors were very welcoming and he loves it there.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:50 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
Quote:
You would have said the same thing about Stowe when he was moving there, but his neighbors were very welcoming and he loves it there.
I wasn't implying that the people of Turtle Creek would be "homophobic". I'm just considering that the population of LGBT singles in a place like Turtle Creek would be far lower than in the city, meaning an additional commute for dating.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
In a subsequent post, he says number 3 needs work.

The GE isn't that bad. It's just dirty and the selection isn't the greatest since it's a small GE. I disagree that it's cheaper than McKnight. Kuhns is my favorite and I wish it was more convenient to me. Also, there are three discount grocery stores on McKnight too---Bottom Dollar, Valu King, and Aldi.

I'm not against North Side at all. If he were considering Troy Hill, I'd say go for it because it has businesses on the hill. There's just nothing up there on Spring Hill.
Our grocery bills don't lie. Now whether that's because the prices are significantly lower, or simply because there's less selection to promote an impulse buy I can't say.

Good point about Troy Hill, but I think that depends on how often he would use the businesses. I can't say that our family does more than once or twice a month, and that's normally to get a pizza or hit up the convenience mart.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I wasn't implying that the people of Turtle Creek would be "homophobic". I'm just considering that the population of LGBT singles in a place like Turtle Creek would be far lower than in the city, meaning an additional commute for dating.
He seems to be very happy being gay and living in the suburbs.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Our grocery bills don't lie. Now whether that's because the prices are significantly lower, or simply because there's less selection to promote an impulse buy I can't say.
The bolded is more likely. If I get in a good grocery store, I buy all of the beautiful exotic produce and other things.

Quote:
Good point about Troy Hill, but I think that depends on how often he would use the businesses. I can't say that our family does more than once or twice a month, and that's normally to get a pizza or hit up the convenience mart.
Do you get Franks?

Old 09-02-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
The bolded is more likely. If I get in a good grocery store, I buy all of the beautiful exotic produce and other things.

Do you get Franks?
Occasionally. Its decent for being walking distance. Used to buy Ron's more often, but they are inconsistent with their ability to accept plastic/stock ingredients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh