Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 07:06 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
I work in social services at a hospital. I have seen people get fired for dumb things, and I have seen many people get laid off after budget cuts. So you never know what is in the future. The economy sucks and social services often get cut. It's also sort of a thankless field to work in. I have a very good employment history, but I remember having great difficulty finding jobs in the past. I've never been fired, but I have been laid off.

That's a good argument for the Stowe, its a lot more accessible to possible other places of employment should your current gig end- being adjacent to I79 and just on the other side of the tunnel from the Rocks Bridge.

West Park may be poor, but it isn't surrounded by a long term depression like the Turtle Creek Valley is and its an easy trip out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 07:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Then again, there are social service offices in the depressed areas.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:30 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
I'm considering which of three houses to buy. All are in very good condition and are affordable and liveable homes. Within my price range, I was confined to certain affordable areas. Here are the 3 choices (so far):

1) An adorable, rather modest 2 bedroom bungalow in Turtle Creek (not the part that floods). I've always liked this town. I have a feeling I could pay for this house with cash, instead of having to get a mortgage, which is a big plus. There really aren't any downsides to this house that I can see, other than I might regret not buying something a bit more fabulous...which leads me to:

2) A gorgeous, 3 bedroom Craftsman home with driveway and garage, in one of the nicest parts of West Park / Stowe. This is my current neighborhood, which I like very much. I love everything about this house. The downside is it would require a mortgage for me to purchase and the taxes are not too cheap.

3) A modest Civil War era home in Spring Hill, 3 bedrooms and a garage, and move in ready. The downside is it is going to take some effort and money to restore its Old World charm, which has largely been updated / removed. However, it is an immaculate and cute house. I just am not crazy about the interior aesthetics, and some missing trim and mantles. There is a possibility that I could pay cash for this house if they come down on the price.
1.) I was surprised to see Turtle Creek at the "top" of your list. Other than buying it with cash, it just doesn't sound like you. The big benefit is financial here, so what would you do with the costs savings? Is it worth the sacrifice?

2.) This one seems like the safest bet. It's in an area you're already familiar with and that you've said has grown on you the longer you've lived there. It already being gorgeous is a big plus, you will just have to put your own flair on it, which should be fun rather than daunting.

3.) Don't forget to factor in the city income tax. Do you think you can tackle the things that need to be done? How much would require contractors? Is it realistic for you to restore it to proper "old world charm" on your budget (both time and money)? Or could it end up being a pipe dream where 10 years from now you'll still be telling guests what you want to do with the place?

Old 09-03-2013, 08:37 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Stay in Stowe. I think the restoration of the place in Spring Hill will be more expensive than you think. Ripping off vinyl siding and then painting the wood is probably more expensive than you think. It is also something that you probably won't want to do unless you like ladders or are willing to rent a lift.

No way I would want to live in Turtle Creek. Would pick Braddock over Turtle Creek. At least there some positive energy there.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:54 AM

35 posts, read 64,387 times
There may not be all that much in the neighborhood of Spring Hill itself as far as grocery stores and whatnot but at least you are still in the city. Pitsburgh has ALOT more to offer than "downtown Turtle Creek" (LOL). I would say that central northside alone, even in its current state, has more to offer than the other areas you are considering. This area has so much potential, I do expect to see re-development and improvement in the future (maybe not spring hill as much, but definitely in central northside).

And one thing that I do like about spring hill is its accessibility to expressways. It takes like 2 minutes to hop on 28, 279 or 376 and head in pretty much any direction. Or you can be downtown in 10 minutes.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:05 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Either #1 or #2.

Having read you here for a couple of years, I think your biggest issue is your level of comfort with having a mortgage. If you buy #2, how quickly would you be able to pay it off without living on ramen and canned tuna? Will you have enough money left over each month to take care of your needs?

OTOH, you'll save on gas money, too, if you buy #1, n'est-ce pas? And not need to go through tunnels or bridges to get to work? My friend The Coupon King is moving again, and not spending any more on gas money than he absolutely has to is, in large part, what's fueling this move.
I want to amend my vote. Now it's #2 only. The Coupon King and I had breakfast today (before redeeming our "$10 off" coupons @ the Waterfront Bottom Dollar), and he said it's a PITA to commute from Turtle Creek.

Get a mortgage; stay in Stowe.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:52 PM

733 posts, read 987,267 times
I'd pick #2 or #3, but that's primarily because I don't really care for Turtle Creek. It feels more removed from the city than McKees Rocks and Spring Hill, and there's not much that I enjoy in Turtle Creek itself. Also bicycling wouldn't be great there, but I'm sure that's not a major factor for you, haha.

I can't choose between #2 and #3. Putting myself in your shoes, I'd have a tough time deciding.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:28 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Thanks for your responses, everyone. There have been so many thought provoking posts that put everything within many different perspectives. This was what I was looking for. The funny thing is that the city neighborhood (Spring Hill) has the fewest walkable amenities (aside from being able to walk to town, although that would be quite a walk). Turtle Creek and Stowe both have many walkable amenities in comparison, however are not as central to everything. I think I would have to use my car for most stuff, if I lived in Spring Hill, since there is no business district.

What I've taken away from all of this is that I should not be afraid of mortgages, and that I should just get the house that I really want.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:03 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Thanks for your responses, everyone. There have been so many thought provoking posts that put everything within many different perspectives. This was what I was looking for. The funny thing is that the city neighborhood (Spring Hill) has the fewest walkable amenities (aside from being able to walk to town, although that would be quite a walk). Turtle Creek and Stowe both have many walkable amenities in comparison, however are not as central to everything. I think I would have to use my car for most stuff, if I lived in Spring Hill, since there is no business district.

What I've taken away from all of this is that I should not be afraid of mortgages, and that I should just get the house that I really want.
Is walkability high on your list of wants? How big of a lifestyle change would it be from your current situation? I know Stowe/West Park is pretty walkable, but do you actually take advantage of that?

Your assessment about mortgages is correct, at least in your situation. It's safe for us to assume you're not talking about a mortgage of more than a few hundred a month, right?

As an aside, if you wouldn't mind sharing, how did you sell your house and did you do any sort of vetting of the buyer? Like are you making sure it won't be demolished, remuddled, or turned into a slum? Not that that is the seller's responsibility, but it seems like something you would be concerned about.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:21 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
I just found this gem in West Homestead and immediately thought of you!

Sure, it's just a wee bit above your budget, but imagine what someone with money could really do to this place!

♛♛ HISTORIC MESTA MANSION - SELLER FINANCED, MUST SELL ASAP

Supposedly the current owner has already sunk $700,000 (where?!) into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh