Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 12:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Since I'd like to take my dog, I'd like to get a cabin in the woods near a quaint small town with interesting shops and cafes.

Western Pennsylvania is out of the question since I'm bored with the few small towns that qualify as interesting.

How far do I need to go to find this great small town that might have cabins within 30 minutes of it?

I'm thinking West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, perhaps? What about to the West? I don't like flat terrain like Ohio.

Over the past three years, I've had enough of Upstate NY and all of New England to last a lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 12:41 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
North Carolina is within that range. You could get to the mountains or the outer banks. I never actually went to the mountains or the outer banks when I lived in North Carolina, but lots of people I worked with seemed to enjoy going there.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:42 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Well north would actually be the way to go now if you like to watch the leaves change and stuff. But if you're done with that, you're done. When are you going?

Look up Shepherdstown WV and see if you'd like that. I don't know where you'd stay in a cabin nearby though exactly....

I would say go down to Smoky Mountains area but the town is not really what you want. (Although you don't HAVE to go to that part I suppose.)

There are a few other places in WV I suppose. I don't really know which would be most appealing in terms of town. I'm more familiar with the natural sights and such and town is more secondary.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:55 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Hocking Hills area in Ohio isn't flat. You could look around towns like Athens or Marietta, OH or Parkersburg, WV. Or there's always Asheville, NC.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 09-10-2013 at 01:11 PM..

Old 09-10-2013, 01:03 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Since I'd like to take my dog, I'd like to get a cabin in the woods near a quaint small town with interesting shops and cafes.

Western Pennsylvania is out of the question since I'm bored with the few small towns that qualify as interesting.

How far do I need to go to find this great small town that might have cabins within 30 minutes of it?

I'm thinking West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, perhaps? What about to the West? I don't like flat terrain like Ohio.

Over the past three years, I've had enough of Upstate NY and all of New England to last a lifetime.
jim thorpe?

Old 09-10-2013, 01:07 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,487 times
Grandfather mountain in North Carolina

GRANDFATHER MOUNTAIN : Wonders Never Cease | Towering almost 6,000 feet above Northwest North Carolina, Grandfather Mountain presents guests with opportunities for rejuvenation, excitement and family memories in a natural haven that will endure for g

Old 09-10-2013, 01:20 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Or, not small, but still cool, Ann Arbor. Again I don't know where to stay, but pick the town first if the town is key. Although, it's kinda flat in that vicinity really.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:32 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I would say go down to Smoky Mountains area but the town is not really what you want. (Although you don't HAVE to go to that part I suppose.)
My parents and two other couples actually enjoyed an extended getaway in a nice log cabin on the outskirts of Gatlinburg and loved it. They also visited nearby Pigeon Forge and had a great time. That's certainly a possibility. The larger city of Knoxville isn't far away and might also be worth checking out.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:35 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
I was in/near Gatlinburg this summer, and Gatlinburg was my least favorite part of the trip. It and Pigeon Forge are giant tourist traps, though if you want to buy fudge and Duck Dynasty t-shirts and play miniature golf, you're set. Smoky Mountain National Park is beautiful, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh