Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 06:22 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,648,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I try to shop as little as possible a place that pushes the disease causing products (smokes and junk food) at the front of the store and the medicines to fix the problem in the back.
Haha, good point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 08:31 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,120 times
In other news, Cleveland will soon have two downtown groceries. Get it together Pittsburgh! Our downtown is in superior shape comparatively. Strange it has taken so long for people to get it right here.

Heinen's plans downtown Cleveland grocery store, staking out corner of former Ameritrust complex (gallery) | cleveland.com

Old 09-13-2013, 08:42 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,963,523 times
I looked at the map in the Cleveland paper and they drew a one-mile circle around the new store downtown, which showed two other stores. Draw the same one-mile circle around Market Square, and you'd have the Cedar Ave. Giant Eagle and a lot of the grocers in the Strip District included in that. We're an anomaly because of the rivers.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:43 AM

Good point! I wish we could get a simple streetcar system together to connect these dots more. The Strip > Downtown streetcar proposal would help immensely.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:03 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,813,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Good point! I wish we could get a simple streetcar system together to connect these dots more. The Strip > Downtown streetcar proposal would help immensely.
I'd settle for a more reasonable fare structure in the meantime..one that doesn't charge you $5 to do such a short trip. that being said, I believe downtown pittsburgh (.67 sq miles) has more people within a half mile than cleveland's store which should say something about whether or not falbo's idea is good or not (of course, it still has to be a well run store).
Quote:
"If you wait until the population gets there, you're too late. Somebody else probably beat you to it," said David Livingston, a Wisconsin supermarket analyst who last studied downtown Cleveland in 2006.
it's also my understanding that the university moved something like 5k students into downtown cleveland which would be like pitt moving 5k students downtown. Pittsburgh, OTOH, has relied more on organic growth which has been slower but perhaps more sustainable.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:25 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,222,788 times
The "Eagle" might be making an appearance after all ;

Giant Eagle considers Downtown Pittsburgh location - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 09-17-2013, 08:05 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post
The "Eagle" might be making an appearance after all ;

Giant Eagle considers Downtown Pittsburgh location - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

This would be an unmitigated disaster. All GE locations should be promptly bulldozed and no further construction allowed.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:22 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,813,981 times
Quote:
Mr. Zober would not rule out possible public aid for a Giant Eagle grocery Downtown. He said the Hill District Shop 'n Save, the Giant Eagle Market District in Shadyside and the Target in East Liberty all benefited from public financing.
Read more: Giant Eagle considers Downtown Pittsburgh location - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
so the garage will be heavily subsidized and now the tenant for the garage may also receive subsidies. good to be a big business I guess. maybe they should make piatt commit to finding a grocery tenant using his subsidies to get this thing built.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:40 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,888,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
All Giant Eagle locations should be promptly bulldozed and no further construction allowed.
Where do you do your grocery shopping?

Oh, and I give up. Who is Stanwix?

Old 09-17-2013, 08:51 AM

Market District Express has $$$$$$ written all over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh