Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 01:23 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Any wonder why medical costs are out of control? I wish I had a business where I could charge people after the dact anything I wanted without them asking how much it was going to cost upfront.
Plus, what it costs depends on what your insurance company negotiated so it's kind of like buying an airplane ticket. You and the person in the seat (bed) next to you may be paying two different prices for the same trip (treatment).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 01:23 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
I guess it would be rude, and the hospitals would be offended, to ask in advance how much this is all going to cost, like we do with just about everything else we buy.
It's not even just that it's taboo to ask, it's that the hospitals and doctors can't even *tell* you how much it will cost because they don't have a flipping clue due to the complex payment structure we have in the US.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:25 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter_rej View Post
If it's any comfort, it's not just UPMC (although it may be around here). When I lived in Houston I went to an ER that was in-network for my insurance. However, the doctors staffing the ER were "independent contractors" and mine wasn't in-network, so I had to pay way more than my normal co-payment for his services, in addition to the ER co-payment. They of course didn't give you any choice as to who you would see. A little different scenario, but still horsesh*t.
Quote:
Any wonder why medical costs are out of control? I wish I had a business where I could charge people after the dact anything I wanted without them asking how much it was going to cost upfront.
This is part of the problem. Do you really want to have a medical emergency and then be given a list of pricing options while awaiting treatment in the ER?

"I might be experiencing cardiac arrest, but your prices seem to be on the high side. Let me get a quote from West Penn before I decide to engage in your emergency medical services."

Old 09-13-2013, 02:18 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,683 times
Pretty much what I thought where you are probably paying for all UPMC costs.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post
Maybe those offices used to be independent and UPMC took it over and that facility charge is their way of making you pay for it? Office charge maybe pays for the building, admin staff, supplies, etc? We may never know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post
Pretty much what I thought where you are probably paying for all UPMC costs.
Right. And that's nuts. A doctor's office visit shouldn't cost almost $800. Those overhead costs were previously paid for via the office visit fee. This is double charging. With higher deductibles, patients should start asking questions and shopping around. The only way to beat this scheme is to try to find independent doctors. If more people do that, maybe doctors will start leaving the monopolies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: