Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should city employees be required to live within the city limits?
Yes 42 61.76%
No 26 38.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 04:52 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,199,508 times

Advertisements

The problem with city residency requirements for the cops is that so many Pittsburgh police officers are quitting after just a few years and taking positions with suburban departments. The residency requirement is definitely a factor for young officers who are looking to raise families away from the city school district, particularly if the officers see little possibility of advancement in the city force.

It does cost the city money to send men to the academy, maybe a relaxation of the rules where all hiring is done among city residents, but after an officer has 5 years on the force he can live where he pleases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 05:48 PM

606 posts, read 939,898 times
So, uh, silly question but what happens with residency requirements if two spouses work for different municipalities?

Old 09-24-2013, 06:49 PM

419 posts, read 548,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
wow - this 'residency' rule is a new one on me. Sounds more like something from communist Russia. I thought I lived in the land of free?.
It's the way it is in the Communistwealth of Pennsylvania, especially with our state controlled liquor stores. School choice is poor... actually, there's almost no choice! School districts in PA have ridiculous residency requirements.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:06 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,231,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
It's the way it is in the Communistwealth of Pennsylvania, especially with our state controlled liquor stores. School choice is poor... actually, there's almost no choice! School districts in PA have ridiculous residency requirements.
I know nothing about residency or school rules, but I do know about beer rules, and at the danger of agreeing with pghdude28, the latter are ridiculous.

I went into a 6 pack shop in Saturday to buy three 6 packs. I was told I could only buy 16 bottles in one transaction, but it was ok if I bought 12, took them to my car (which was directly outside), and came back in to buy/collect the other 6.

What century is this? I guess at least there wasn't a residency requirement

Old 09-24-2013, 07:31 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,199,508 times
Quote:
I know nothing about residency or school rules, but I do know about beer rules, and at the danger of agreeing with pghdude28, the latter are ridiculous.

I went into a 6 pack shop in Saturday to buy three 6 packs. I was told I could only buy 16 bottles in one transaction, but it was ok if I bought 12, took them to my car (which was directly outside), and came back in to buy/collect the other 6.

Gov. Gifford Pinchot was a principled prohibitionist, and devised the method of selling alcohol to be as expensive and inconvenient as possible.

The LCB with its regulations is one government program that works exactly as it was designed to by its framer.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:17 PM

419 posts, read 548,205 times
Quote:

Gortonator, these draconian alcohol laws have been on the books since the Great Depression. It is baffling that there is even a debate on whether or not the state should privatize liquor stores. The country is laughing at PA. This is not a progressive state filled with youthful energy and open minds to new ideas. Change here moves at a snails pace. It's so stubborn to change they might as well build a wall around this state. As for Pittsburgh cops, same thing build a damn wall around the city. Only think inward. Close the gate to avoid new, radical ideas or fresh takent from elsewhere. Keep them outsiders out!

Old 09-25-2013, 05:03 AM

12,528 posts, read 17,439,681 times
I got arrested for buying 23 bottles of beer at a bar one time. The judge threw it out, said it wasn't enough for a case.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
Gortonator, these draconian alcohol laws have been on the books since the Great Depression. It is baffling that there is even a debate on whether or not the state should privatize liquor stores. The country is laughing at PA. This is not a progressive state filled with youthful energy and open minds to new ideas. Change here moves at a snails pace. It's so stubborn to change they might as well build a wall around this state. As for Pittsburgh cops, same thing build a damn wall around the city. Only think inward. Close the gate to avoid new, radical ideas or fresh takent from elsewhere. Keep them outsiders out!
PA laws are stupid but they're not the only ones. WA was only a bit better until last year, Utah is equally dumb, and I bet there's others. Doesn't matter though, it's bizarre here and needs changing.

As usual, you take things to silly extremes in the above, but underneath your hyperbole there does seem to be some truth. But again, many states spring surprises on you once you hang out there a while ...

Old 09-25-2013, 05:52 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,496,824 times
The reason the legislature doesn't have to consider the will of the people vs a couple thousand unionized liquor store employees is this: the people of PA have no right to a ballot referendum where they can vote on the matter.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The reason the legislature doesn't have to consider the will of the people vs a couple thousand unionized liquor store employees is this: the people of PA have no right to a ballot referendum where they can vote on the matter.
that's how dumb laws got changes in WA - people driven referendum. Well, maybe CostCo driven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh