Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For Whom Do You Intend to Vote for District 7 City Council Representative?
Deb Gross (D-Highland Park) 10 41.67%
Tony Ceoffe, Jr. (I-Lawrenceville) 12 50.00%
Tom Fallon (I-Morningside) 1 4.17%
Jim Wudarczyk (I-Bloomfield) 1 4.17%
Dave Powell (L-Morningside) 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 09:21 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,203,280 times

Advertisements

I do like Mr. Wudarczyk's campaign poster in this race. The flag, no-nonsense expression on the candidate's face and the suit really work together pretty well. The flag looks like its flying in the wind, yet the candidate isn't affected at all by the wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 07:47 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
It looks as if this race may end up breaking down amongst "home turf". Based upon my observations of yard signs as well as talking to people in the area, it looks like Ceoffe will win Polish Hill, Lawrenceville, and Bloomfield while Gross will win Highland Park, Friendship, and Morningside. Not sure where the Strip District or Stanton Heights will lean towards.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:08 AM

14,361 posts, read 16,879,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
It looks as if this race may end up breaking down amongst "home turf". Based upon my observations of yard signs as well as talking to people in the area, it looks like Ceoffe will win Polish Hill, Lawrenceville, and Bloomfield while Gross will win Highland Park, Friendship, and Morningside. Not sure where the Strip District or Stanton Heights will lean towards.
Considering that over half of Strip District residents live in the Cork Factory (and most of the rest now live in other upscale condos/apartments like the Brake House Lofts), I think it's safe to say it's going for Gross.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Considering that over half of Strip District residents live in the Cork Factory (and most of the rest now live in other upscale condos/apartments like the Brake House Lofts), I think it's safe to say it's going for Gross.
It seems like there's a clear white-collar/blue-collar divide in this city in terms of voting patterns. Most white-collars voted for Peduto while many blue-collars voted for Wagner, who was more socially conservative, in the mayoral primary. This time around I have a feeling most white-collars in this race will vote for Gross while most blue-collars will vote for Ceoffe simply because Gross has the reputation of being an elitist whereas Ceoffe has more of a "man of the people" aura about him. The question will be just how split IS our district?

Highland Park is decidedly upper-middle-class, educated, liberal, and white-collar. It should be a home-run there for Deb Gross.

Polish Hill was traditionally a blue-collar stronghold, but in the past few years there's been a lot more white-collars moving in with their BMWs and yoga pants, so Ceoffe may not win here by a landslide, just as how Wagner barely won half the neighborhood and Peduto barely won the other half whereas I'm sure even just a decade ago Wagner would have crushed Peduto here.

I agree that the Strip District will probably go for Gross given the upper-middle-class professional demographics there.

Lawrenceville? Like a bigger version of Polish Hill it's really hard to say. Ceoffe himself is a 20-something, so the young liberal hipster set there may find more common ground with him. At the same time the neighborhood has also been radically gentrifying over just the past few years, so Ceoffe may not dominate his own neighborhood now the way he may have just 5-10 years ago, although I still feel like he'll get about 60% of the Lawrenceville vote.

Friendship should go solidly for Gross.

Ceoffe should eke out Bloomfield, but once again it won't be by a landslide margin. I have a feeling Ceoffe might get 60% of the vote in Bloomfield, Polish Hill, and Lawrenceville. I'm not sure at all how Stanton Heights will go. Morningside should lean towards Gross (maybe 60%).

It's going to be a tight race. It might come down to just a few hundred votes separating Gross and Ceoffe, although I have the feeling that margin will be in the favor of Deb. Highland Park is just too big.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:31 AM

14,361 posts, read 16,879,345 times
One thing to keep in mind is that young people just don't turn out in high numbers for Pittsburgh local elections. The turnout in the mayoral primary in Oakland was pitiful, even though Peduto won it handily. Therefore I expect the "hipster vote" will be a nonentity in this primary, and it will come down to "yuppies versus yinzers."

Old 11-04-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
...and it will come down to "yuppies versus yinzers."
^ Probably, although I'm a yuppie who is going to vote for Tony Ceoffe.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:39 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,964,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post

I do like Mr. Wudarczyk's campaign poster in this race. The flag, no-nonsense expression on the candidate's face and the suit really work together pretty well. The flag looks like its flying in the wind, yet the candidate isn't affected at all by the wind.
Hmmm.... a politician not affected by wind.... does it mean he's been blowing plenty of wind himself? Or maybe just that he's full of hot air....

Old 11-04-2013, 10:06 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,074,871 times
Quote:
It is a reference to a Warren Harding poster:

Though, hm.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:34 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,946,289 times
Quote:

It looks to me like a Hefty bag with a flag printed on it. And imagery right out of Colbert's playbook.

Alas, I don't live in the City so can't share everyone's enthusiasm. But here in Upper St. Clair there's a candidate for school board named "Buffy". So we've got that stereotype going for us!

Old 11-04-2013, 04:56 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,203,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
It is a reference to a Warren Harding poster:

Though, hm.

Your image didn't come through, but here is President Harding's campaign poster.

Harding did pretty well, winning in a record landslide. Although I won't predict that for Mr. Wudarczyk.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh