Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 04:46 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,091,748 times

Advertisements

Proposal will make Downtown Pittsburgh core totally bus-free - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Bold idea. I think downtown should be car-free, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 05:37 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post

Downtown Pittsburgh serves as the hub for the Port Authority transit system, thousands merely pass through town each day transferring from one PAT route to another every day of the year.

If PAT could reconfigure its system to keep these folks out of town completely it would eliminate congestion. Maybe (example) rerouting west routes across the 10th Street Bridge and terminate at the old Civic Arena could provide downtown free trips for west folks going east or south.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:46 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
sounds like theyre looking at blvs of the allies and liberty no? any proposal that requires people to transfer to the t ahere they have a direct ride now is inherently awful. it would add a lot of time to the trip and the t is not rapid transit.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:15 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Love this idea - buses downtown cause more gridlock then anything. Nor do they respect pedestrians much at all either.
Not to mention using sidewalks as your main transfer hubs & clogging them up has always struck me odd here.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:31 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Confuse more people that are already fed up with Port Authority in an area where hundreds of buses go daily. Bad idea.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:33 AM

288 posts, read 511,191 times
Seems like most of this is a response to complaints by the businesses and employees of downtown. Ever walk by Mcdonald's near Macy's around lunch time and have to deal with everyone who is standing there waiting for a bus? I'd hate to be a woman walking through there. People are downright lewd. The Wood st. station is also terrible to walk past. I have to walk the wholeway to the busway to catch my bus, but it's nice because it never even goes in to town. We all get on at one stop and it probably saves us 20-30 minutes over if the bus circled around town.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:52 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah121 View Post
Seems like most of this is a response to complaints by the businesses and employees of downtown. Ever walk by Mcdonald's near Macy's around lunch time and have to deal with everyone who is standing there waiting for a bus?

Encouraging the resettlement of public and private social service agencies out of town could certainly help reduce this kind of disorder. No reason that Social Security, Public Welfare, the Salvation Army or other such outfits need to be in town. Making an effort to keep patients of psychiatric clinics and meth clinics in their own sector of the county could also cut down on troublesome characters at downtown bus stops.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:04 AM

252 posts, read 348,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah121 View Post
Ever walk by Mcdonald's near Macy's around lunch time and have to deal with everyone who is standing there waiting for a bus? I'd hate to be a woman walking through there. People are downright lewd.
I've been walking around downtown about three or four times a week on average for well over a year, and I often pass by the McDonald's on Smithfield, the P1 stop on Smithfield across from the library, and the Wood St stop on Liberty ave.

I don't know what "deal with everyone" means. You mean walk in a slight zig-zag to avoid people? I've never had to stop walking at one of these locations, nor have I experienced any lewd behavior from anyone.

Frankly I really don't see what the problem is-- the people on the sidewalk aren't holding up foot traffic, and cars are by far the biggest source of auto traffic downtown. Maybe a better idea would be to buy one of those wasteful surface parking lots and turn it into a bus terminal like Kennedy Plaza in Providence.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:18 AM

802 posts, read 1,320,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Confuse more people that are already fed up with Port Authority in an area where hundreds of buses go daily. Bad idea.
Yes this is one of the worst ideas I've heard. It's just going to encourage more people to drive and that's going to cause more congestion.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:22 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
This comes under the heading of: "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

Yes, there are lots of people at major bus stops, yes there are lots of buses on congested downtown streets. It's called being a vibrant city center. A good percentage of the people who work downtown use transit, and we're not just talking about the lowest-paid people. The mix of people may make some uncomfortable, but in 30-odd years, I've never had a problem. Again, people from all walks of life from the very rich to the very poor congregating in a 200-acre downtown is called a city.

I'm afraid that we may end up with what happened to the North Side and East Liberty in the 1960s, when, to ease congestion, they built those four-lane moats around the business centers to reroute traffic, which killed the centers of each business district.

We have a very vibrant downtown and we should be thankful for that. Part of that vibrancy comes from having lots of people on the street, lots of traffic, and lots of activity. And one bus can carry the same number of people as 40 cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh