Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 04:23 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,232,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
Mr. Foot in Mouth. I just hope people don't think that he is representative of a majority of Pennsylvanians.
Unfortunately there are a myriad of posts all over C-D that seem to suggest your hope is in vain.
On the flip side it seems like change is bound to come in 15 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 04:42 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,936,635 times
First Santorum then this idiot boy. At least hes comparing homosexuality to something human, a minor step up for Teabaggers lol. Also, Pennsylvanians are actually smart enough to sometimes correct their mistakes and throw the idiot out on his backside.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:44 PM

419 posts, read 551,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
Ahh I forgot, it's like SO much better elsewhere and other cities are like Atlantis and Pittsburgh is just this horribly depressed hole. Move to North Carolina. You and zman in a few other threads were in agreement that the job market and pretty much everything else was so super extra spectacular in a place like Raleigh or Charlotte.

In regards to the bolded statement, you're wrong.
Support for gay marriage grows, Pennsylvania poll shows - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Thanks for reminding us all how much Pittsburgh "sucks" aka, ruining yet another thread with unfounded, personal negativity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Never said Raleigh or Charlotte are more accepting of same sex marriage. Never labeled Pittsburgh a depressing hell hole. I think metro Philly skews the statistics in favor of same sex marriage. That's the major pull in a progressive direction. Pittsburgh's pull is rather small and most of Western PA is covered in red. There are a lot of socially conservative tendencies throughout the state. It may not be political but rather indifferent as a political issue. A rather moderate, right leaning state. Some deep rural areas of the state may be synonymous with the Bible Belt though.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
Never said Raleigh or Charlotte are more accepting of same sex marriage. Never labeled Pittsburgh a depressing hell hole. I think metro Philly skews the statistics in favor of same sex marriage. That's the major pull in a progressive direction. Pittsburgh's pull is rather small and most of Western PA is covered in red. There are a lot of socially conservative tendencies throughout the state. It may not be political but rather indifferent as a political issue. A rather moderate, right leaning state. Some deep rural areas of the state may be synonymous with the Bible Belt though.
Most metros are where states get there "pull in a progressive direction". PA is no different than most other states in this regard.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:08 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,193 times
There's a lotta Gypsies in PA, and they marry first cousins.....Legally. The Amish do it too. I dunno what the fuss is about. Yee-Haw?

Old 10-05-2013, 09:33 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
Pa is honestly a joke. Outside of philly and the suburban counties that surround it the rest of the state is meaningless outside of the commonwealth. Change, presidential election victories, progressive thinking come out of philly. If you cut philly out of pa it might as well be called northern alabama or arkansas. Pittsburgh and w pa dems are democrat in name only. Pitt metro is one of the most conservative and backwards metros in the country. Not surprising corbett is an old white overweight gay bashing yinzer.
Could PA stand to be more progressive outside of its major metro areas? Absolutely, but this is a phenomenon that you find essentially worldwide. Outside of rare, wealthy enclaves or resort/college towns, rural areas tend to be much more provincial and conservative compared to major urban areas. It's the just the nature of the beast -- large urban areas attract a much broader demographic of people.

It's also getting to be such a tired cliche to compare rural Pennsylvania to the South; anyone who's done extensively traveling south of Northern Virginia would know that the social atmosphere is dramatically different than anywhere in PA.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:56 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
It's also getting to be such a tired cliche to compare rural Pennsylvania to the South; anyone who's done extensively traveling south of Northern Virginia would know that the social atmosphere is dramatically different than anywhere in PA.
That's the ultimate irony. People who don't like Pennsylvania love to illustrate how "provincial" and "backwards" it supposedly is by comparing it to someplace in the Deep South, which only exposes themselves as the provincial ones. I've split my life between Pennsylvania and the Deep South, so I actually have a basis for comparison; and quite frankly, the fact that I experienced culture shock after moving to the Deep South illustrated to me just how little Pennsylvania has in common with it.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:18 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Pa is honestly a joke. Outside of philly and the suburban counties that surround it the rest of the state is meaningless outside of the commonwealth. Change, presidential election victories, progressive thinking come out of philly. If you cut philly out of pa it might as well be called northern alabama or arkansas. Pittsburgh and w pa dems are democrat in name only. Pitt metro is one of the most conservative and backwards metros in the country. Not surprising corbett is an old white overweight gay bashing yinzer.
People always tell me to step out of my "East End Bubble" when I tout our city as being progressive, but the fact remains that nearly 100% of the people I know here in the East End ARE progressives, and we East Enders comprise more than half the city's population. In the Democratic mayoral primary Bill Peduto touted himself as being a "progressive" while his supposedly formidable opponent said he was "still evolving" on issues like same-sex marriage. Guess what? Peduto crushed Wagner by a double-digit margin (including in many areas OUTSIDE the East End). The embarrassing "God, gays, guns" old yinzer types that formerly would have launched Wagner into mayorship are dying off and being replaced by children who, while potentially not "progressive", are certainly much closer to center politically than their parents and who want to see Pittsburgh on the same level as Portland, Austin, Boulder, Asheville, Ann Arbor, Ithaca, Minneapolis, etc. on the national publicity radar to help entice new residents (including entrepreneurs) to move here and continue our renaissance.

I grew up in an upper-middle-class suburb of Scranton, which in and of itself is considered a "Democratic stronghold". It's served as the home at one point or another to PA Attorney General Kathleen Kane, U.S. Sen. Bob Casey, Vice President Joe Biden, and Hillary Clinton, all of whom are progressive Democrats. Nevertheless Pittsburgh blows Scranton out of the water in terms of being forward-thinking and intellectually-enriched. Since the cities are otherwise so comparable in terms of background, history, and composition I often tell people that Pittsburgh is like "Scranton on steroids---while waving a rainbow flag and smoking cannabis instead of beating you over the head with a Bible".

While places like Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Lancaster County, Williamsport, the Central Susquehanna Valley, the Laurel Highlands, the PA Wilds, Cranberry Township, Endless Mountains, etc. may be "clinging to God, gays, guns", I find that there are still plentiful other parts of the state (beyond just Philadelphia and Pittsburgh) that are helping to pull us into the 21st Century. Places like State College, Lewisburg, New Hope, Bethlehem, Milford, Harrisburg, and even Erie. The majority of those "red" areas are declining while the "blue" areas are either stabilizing or growing.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Big testicles for an anonymous person. You should come to Harrisburg and say that.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Have you been to northern Alabama or Arkansas?
Where are you from by the way?
I expect you're a troll and you'll never be back in this thread anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh