Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2007, 02:46 PM

356 posts, read 916,825 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Pittsburgh between Christmas and New Years with 2 young children and a dog. I will be working in Oakland. My Husband will be working at home/ telecommuting. I don't know yet if we will rent first or buy right away but we are heavily researching neighborhoods.

I like the idea of North Hills either Ross Twp (North Hills school district) or Mccandless and other southen parts of North Allegeny school district. What would typical commute times from either of these areas to Oakland be?
I'm aiming for a commute of 30 min or less.

We are looking at O'Hare also as a possibility (Fox Chapel school district but NOT Fox Chapel- too expensive) How long is this commute to Oakland? Also are kids in Fox Chapel School district who do not live IN Fox Chapel looked down on? Is the snob factor as big there as reported on this forum for USC.

Finally, we are entertaining the idea of living in town and sending the kids to Catholic schools. My husband loves Greenfield. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 06:55 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,755 times
All great places to live. O'Hare would be the shortest commute of the suburban areas you're looking in. Greenfield would hardly be a commute at all to Oakland, and most streets there are considered a stable and safe.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:30 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,168 times
The North Allegheny School District is top notch and one of the best in the region. There is a huge range of prices in McCandless ($100000 to one million)... you can probably find a home in your price range with a minimal amount of searching. There are two parks in McCandless that are added perks to the area (North Park & Devlin Park). McCandless is a huge area, and the closer that you locate to 279, the shorter your travel time to Oakland.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:25 PM

743 posts, read 2,234,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientist Mom View Post
Finally, we are entertaining the idea of living in town and sending the kids to Catholic schools.
Since we are also considering a move, I have begun to research the catholic schools at length. They are definitly not all the same.

My top picks include (not in this order):

1) The Providence Alpha School (elemt..N Hills area)
2) Sacred Heart elemt (Shadyside)
3) Central Catholic (Oakland...all-boys 9-12)
4) Aquinas Academy (k-12...N. Hills)
5) Vincentian Academy (9-12...N. Hills)

Also, North Catholic HS is moving far north, near Cranberry, I heard. I think they were on an enrollment decline in the city. Don't know much about the school.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:11 PM

919 posts, read 3,184,622 times
WE have also considered Ohara township but I am also wary of the snob factor myself, I am looking elsewhere for now, but will consider Ohara if and when I find more out bout the snob factor, but something tells me that Fox Chapel is very very uppity, we are personally looking into Mt Leb because its safe, affordable and has one of the best if not best school system in the entire area! N Allegheny is also a very good school but its veery large and that is one reason why I am looking back into Mt Leb again, its only 7 mins to the city but very safe when compared to most other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh