Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 10:13 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Name of book and author, please.
Dinosaur + Human Romance Novels Are A Real Thing. Huh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 06:53 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
I'd question any parent whose life didn't revolve around their kids.
Believe it or not everyone doesn't have to be an obsessive helicopter parent.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:43 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
And I don't understand how anyone (who doesn't employ a nanny) doesn't have to spend the majority of their waking, non-working hours dealing with their kids somehow...at least until they are tweens.

I realize I'm at an extreme since I have a one-month old son on top of my four-year old daughter, but I consider the nights where I do the dishes and the laundry, along with reading four pages of a book, to be a smashing success.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:16 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
And I don't understand how anyone (who doesn't employ a nanny) doesn't have to spend the majority of their waking, non-working hours dealing with their kids somehow...at least until they are tweens.

I realize I'm at an extreme since I have a one-month old son on top of my four-year old daughter, but I consider the nights where I do the dishes and the laundry, along with reading four pages of a book, to be a smashing success.
Honestly, you have it easier now. Right now when you pick your kids up at daycare you get to do what you want (you just drag them along). This will change when they get older. Wait until your kids have activities and homework to get done. My kids aren't that much older than yours and it is much harder now than when they where in daycare. Our kids each do two activities which is about normal. Most of their friends do two things. Some do three. Others only one. Grocery shopping is either done late at night or at 6 am. We both work so our life is a little different than those families that have one parent stay at home with the kids.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:04 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,225 times
Quote:
Being a helicopter parent and having your life revolve around your family/kids are two separate things.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:09 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

I agree. My daughter is two and beyond the regular chores, my wife and I spend our evenings playing with her, eating with her, giving her a bath, reading to her, watching TV with her, and putting her to bed.
I tend to be pretty worn out by the time 9 PM rolls around. And I really wouldn't want it any other way. That's not called being obsessive and hovering, but being a good parent. I'm taking advantage of it as I'm sure there will be a time in the not too distant future where she will want nothing to do with me!

Old 10-18-2013, 03:40 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
As the thread continues I fell I have to remind everybody that we have a separate parenting forum, where you can discuss general parenting issues. Here, focus on the topic. It's in the 1st post, look it up if you're confused.
Yac.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:25 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
It's asinine to subscribe to a thought process that has a couple coming to a conclusion that the second largest city in a state with where over 11 million people reside has no recreational activities geared towards the child free or childless or simply adult oriented activities.

ChildFree Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA) - Meetup

Waitlist - No Kids and Happy Meetups - Pittsburgh

Couples Meeting Couples Meetups near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - Couples Meeting Couples Meetups - Pittsburgh (child free group)

Burgh Adults (Pittsburgh, PA) - Meetup

The Pittsburgh Social Club! (Pittsburgh, PA) - Meetup

Bicycling Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA) - Meetup

L.L.Bean Pittsburgh Outing Club (Pittsburgh, PA) - Meetup

Hiking Club Of Raccoon Creek State Park (Pittsburgh, PA) - Meetup

In under 10 minutes I have listed eight solid groups in which any childfree/childless couple can locate activities that are geared towards an adult only format.

This is from dining, hiking, bicycling, movies and other activities that one can use in which to connect with a large number of adults just like those complaining that they can't find anyone in which to connect with.

The internet; a powerful tool isn't it?

Thanks for the list. You know, back 3-5 years ago I asked where to meet childfree people or empty-nesters or non-parenting urban professionals, and I got shot down publicly. And I got a really sexist PM rant from some Yinzer bumpkin man who told me that God gave me " **** and arse" so I'd attract a man to impregnate me, and that I should have children and "make something of yourself" so that I'd not be like his aunt and die alone! That just goes to show that this forum can grow up and face the fact that not everyone wants to be tied down by child-rearing chores. I was just ahead of my time.

Last edited by SorryIMovedBack; 10-18-2013 at 04:43 AM..

Old 10-18-2013, 04:37 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,077 times
Quote:
If you're getting people knocking up every time you have sex you're doing it seriously wrong bro.
haha! Or, he's doing it Catholic, or ghetto. One of those two. Production of children is goal.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:30 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
Isn't it nice that we live in a world where having children or not having them is seen as a choice we can make? Probably nicer for kids whose parents have them because they chose to have them.

For those who have not found it yet there is a very nice forum ,for people who don't want children called The Childfree Life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh