Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 08:23 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
You've never seen people spin tire in the winter? doyouevenpittsburgh
LOL I've never before heard of anyone spinning SO MUCH that the tires wore out before their time. That takes a LOT of spinning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 08:26 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
LOL I've never before heard of anyone spinning SO MUCH that the tires wore out before their time. That takes a LOT of spinning!
Winter conditions + daily commute + road conditions + stop and start traffic on a hill = spinning tire many times during the season

Why is everything so hard to believe on this forum gosh golly gee goodness

Old 10-14-2013, 08:30 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Because I've lived here ten years without snow tires or seeing anybody who lives in my neighborhood use them on a front-wheel drive car.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:32 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,920 times
I go with all seasons and chains/tire cables in the trunk if I need the added grip. This past winter I drove up and down some pretty icy hills in Brookline and some other parts of the south hills with my tire cables. I don't really let the snow slow me down, but I realize I am the exception and it is pretty amazing after a 6 inch+ snowstorm in the Burgh how barren the roads can be until they are plowed. I like snow tires, but they are expensive and you need somewhere to store them.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:36 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Winter conditions + daily commute + road conditions + stop and start traffic on a hill = spinning tire many times during the season

Why is it so hard to understand what I said? I never said I didn't believe you. I just said I'd never heard of anyone doing that before. I mean no more or less than that.

It is mildly surprising because I've never heard of anyone keeping at it to that extent before.

Admittedly, I look at that now and wonder why you kept on doing that enough to wear out your tires, but I don't disbelieve that you did so. I can do that with the benefit of hindsight that you didn't have in the midst of it. I'm not questioning your experience one bit. Presumably you thought it wouldn't keep being like that. But it did. I am sorry that happened to you.

Armed with this knowledge, perhaps others will be able to avoid wearing out their tires.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:46 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Because I've lived here ten years without snow tires or seeing anybody who lives in my neighborhood use them on a front-wheel drive car.
We're just throwing out all these cool stories today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Why is it so hard to understand what I said? I never said I didn't believe you. I just said I'd never heard of anyone doing that before. I mean no more or less than that.

It is mildly surprising because I've never heard of anyone keeping at it to that extent before.

Admittedly, I look at that now and wonder why you kept on doing that enough to wear out your tires, but I don't disbelieve that you did so. I can do that with the benefit of hindsight that you didn't have in the midst of it. I'm not questioning your experience one bit. Presumably you thought it wouldn't keep being like that. But it did. I am sorry that happened to you.

Armed with this knowledge, perhaps others will be able to avoid wearing out their tires.
okay.jpg

Old 10-14-2013, 08:47 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
I finally bought some snow tires on rims from a woman selling her Mazda 3. Must say it made a difference, but I still think you can make it in Pgh with out them.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:47 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
This past winter I drove up and down some pretty icy hills in Brookline and some other parts of the south hills with my tire cables.
That's actually a good reminder if the OP is from someplace flat. No tire in the world is going to let you slow down by braking if there is ice (not snow) on a steep enough hill. If it is slick enough and steep enough, even if you start down at 1 mph, you will become a projectile. If the city puts up a barrier, they aren't joking.

I learned that lesson by direct experience, experience which caused zero damage to my car by sheer stupid luck.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:03 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
That's actually a good reminder if the OP is from someplace flat. No tire in the world is going to let you slow down by braking if there is ice (not snow) on a steep enough hill. If it is slick enough and steep enough, even if you start down at 1 mph, you will become a projectile. If the city puts up a barrier, they aren't joking.

I learned that lesson by direct experience, experience which caused zero damage to my car by sheer stupid luck.
Yes other than tire chains/cables or studded tires there is not much you can do to prepare for driving on ice, especially with the hills in some areas of Pittsburgh. I am becoming a little bit obsessed with my winter commute and I just recently purchased studded tires for my bicycle so I can still bike commute to work in the winter.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:42 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
You've never seen people spin tire in the winter? doyouevenpittsburgh
I've done this before, so I can most certainly relate. I had decent (not brand new---certainly not bald) tires on my former Civic Hybrid. I was spinning my wheels helplessly on Shady Avenue while shimmying myself back and forth because I was stuck in slush as I tried to accelerate after stopping for a red light. If you "spin" enough you'll make those tires bald REAL quickly, as I learned when my tires went from half-tread to bald after that evening of driving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh