Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 02:42 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,131 times

Advertisements

Hopes, I decided to do what you adviced me, aka let them stay. This works for me too - hopefully they won;t set the house on fire or aquire other pets. I let them stay until the end of the school year, may, june, july, whatever, than I'll take two months to fix the house up and then put it on the market. And then I'll take my freinds and celebrate. Landlording is not my cup of tea. I can't deal with these people. Some complain too much, some have anger management issues, some are neglectful. You have to be cut to do it. I am not. Honestly it's taking a toll on me.

But still, I am going tomorrow to take pics and assess the situation. Most of all I want to take the extra vinyl to make sure thay won;t try a patch job themseleves. The wife is ok, but that husband of hers is really someone I don;t get along at all with, to put it nicely. He's like from another planet. When I rented to them it was just the wife who showed up to see the house and she is nice. If the husband would have showed up with her I would have never agreed to rent it to them. He has issues.

Sorry for whinning but I can't wait to be rid of them and of the house.

Thanks for all of your good advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 05:55 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,290 times
sounds like they know how to work a landlord and this isnt their first rodeo. I would still try to get them out as soon as possible. If he says he is not letting you in, that is a HUGE red flag.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:53 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Hi. This message if for you landlords out there. The contractor I sent to the rental house to do some drywall patch on a kitchen ceiling, for a leaking toilet that leaked into the kitchen and was previously fixed by my plumber, told me that there is also a huge hole on the kitchen floor where the tenants tore the vinyl floor up. he also told me my tenants have two dogs, one really big one.

First of all the tenants had only one dog on the lease. They didn't get me permission to acquire a second dog, let alone a big one. Second the vinyl floor was brand new and now it needs to be replaced.

They are so neglectful, not to mention that the husband has called me names in the past and now they are in my house only because the wife begged me to stay because the kids love it in Mt Lebo's school and said I would deal with her from now on.

If the leaking was so severe they should have called me immediately and asked me how to stop the water. Or put a damn bucket underneath. They are on a month to month lease.

I want them gone NOW and I want to sue them for damages. That was a brand new floor that cost me 2500$. Can I do that? I am afraid that I say to them "leave end of Nov" they won't pay Nov rent. I want them gone ASAP. Please advise.
Thank you.
Evict them, remodel and re-rent. Have fun trying to recover your money from them for damages, the best you can due is keep their security deposit. Suing will be futile and take forever. Do a background and credit check next time.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:33 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,416 times
Quote:
Hopes, I decided to do what you adviced me, aka let them stay. This works for me too - hopefully they won;t set the house on fire or aquire other pets. I let them stay until the end of the school year, may, june, july, whatever, than I'll take two months to fix the house up and then put it on the market. And then I'll take my freinds and celebrate. Landlording is not my cup of tea. I can't deal with these people. Some complain too much, some have anger management issues, some are neglectful. You have to be cut to do it. I am not. Honestly it's taking a toll on me.

But still, I am going tomorrow to take pics and assess the situation. Most of all I want to take the extra vinyl to make sure thay won;t try a patch job themseleves. The wife is ok, but that husband of hers is really someone I don;t get along at all with, to put it nicely. He's like from another planet. When I rented to them it was just the wife who showed up to see the house and she is nice. If the husband would have showed up with her I would have never agreed to rent it to them. He has issues.

Sorry for whinning but I can't wait to be rid of them and of the house.

Thanks for all of your good advice.
What do you believe would be the incentive for this tenant to ever leave? You are basically granting them carte blanche for completely wrecking your home. I agree with those posters telling you that you must take the steps to conclude your month-to-month lease with them immediately. If not, my prediction is that you will not receive rent for the last month that they stay. They will tell you to offset that last month with the security- then you will have nothing to repair the damages. It seems simple to do nothing, but the cost that you will pay in the end will be staggering.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:39 AM

Thanks for all of your advice. I will go and see the property on Sun. I sent them notice that I want to see it on Wed (yesterday). The wife said she can't but allowed me to come on Sun. Based on what I see I will decide.

They are not keen on leaving, as I said. They are in Lebo's good school district. It would be hard for them to find something to rent in the middle of the school year, not to mention that most likely kids will have to switch schools. Besides, his mother lives two houses away from me and picks up the kids from school and stays with them until the parents come home.

So they are very interested in staying there. I also though that if I send them letter to end the lease end of nov they won;t pay at all for november, so I am not sure how to do this. Now they are saying it's not their dog, they just pet sit for a coworker who went on vacation. This isn't explicitely in the lease but still I think they should have asked for my permission first. And yes, I will keep the security deposit and I will sue them, no matter how long it's going to take.

Maybe I can tell them something like I'm going to inspect the property every two weeks, with 24 hr notice. Can I do that?

Old 10-24-2013, 10:53 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
From my local knowledge (Texas) and yours locale might not be the same, the month to month tenacy has the same conditions as the prior written lease. Look at your old lease terms to see what rights to inspect you may have. If none are specified, then i would consider giving them a short term written lease for the period you have already decided to allow them to stay and include any new conditions you wish to impose.

I would start with a financial penalty for any additional pets observed in the property regardless of ownership or duration.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:43 PM

51 posts, read 74,213 times
Tenants wrecking your property is one of the top reasons many owners have decided to fix up rental property to section 8 standards.. Now if the tenant wrecks the rental up they loose section 8.. And many section 8 people these days are retirees.. I would say if you have these types of issues with your current tenant I would definitely proceed to evict.. Sounds like you have been fairly nice with these people and it has not gotten you anywhere..

Old 11-10-2013, 07:50 PM

Guys the tenants will be leaving at the end of Nov. They caused damages I valued at 6000$ (vinyl, hardwood floors and carpet) and the husbandd refused blatantly in my face to pay rent for Nov. When can I sue them? Another question I have is there any way to report them to credit agencies for refusing to pay rent? They can't just get away with this type of behavior. There should be consequences. Otherwise they could go on and wreck other people too.

I am suing them, that's for sure. But do i have to wait until I get the place fixed and then sue or can i sue them in the next days? They owe me rent and damage compensation. All the floors were installed brand new (or sanded, in case of hardwood floors) before they moved in.

Your advice is really appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:59 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
But do i have to wait until I get the place fixed and then sue or can i sue them in the next days?
I'd think you'd want to talk to a lawyer before you fix the damage because the lawyer will know how to document the issue.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:11 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
Do NOT fix anything without taking good pictures, heck walk around and take video also. A quick 1-2 minute video of you walking around saying "here is the torn up floor" etc. Don't clean anything either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh