Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2013, 06:36 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,831,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
I took pics of everything and videotaped. I'll put in on youtube if anyone whats to see.
I'd like to see it. I'm sure others would too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 06:46 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,559,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Yes. And set to Miley Cyrus's "Wrecking Ball" please.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:25 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,028,360 times
With your costs of unpaid rent, utilities, legal fees, taxes, insurance, maintenance/repair, trash removal, indeterminable time of a vacant/ non-income generating rental, and court costs, your expenses are seemingly growing with virtually any decision that you are making. I am sorry to say that you continue to replicate the mistakes of an inexperienced landlord. You are beginning to sound as a vengeful individual with your sites set upon getting even with your former tenants, expecting a full reimbursement granted through the courts, instead of focusing upon the continued growth of your ever-growing expenses. In the best of circumstances, it is extremely rare that a landlord is able to fully recover all of his/her fees from a judge. It is even rarer, however, to be able to collect fully from the former tenants, who have a multitude of avenues to pursue in lieu of paying you. In the worst case scenario for you, you could finally win your judgment and your former tenants move out of state, and/or declare bankruptcy- you could find yourself winning the proverbial battle, but losing the war. In other words, you may win based upon the principle, but lose from every other vantage point. Landlording is a business, and we/you constantly must evaluate the bottom line. Beyond your unmitigated spending, you are also making mistakes that could appear spiteful and harm your position in court (disposal of tenant belongings & capturing their pet). Just my two cents (and this is based upon being a landlord for over 30 years), but you need to move past the anger and the need to garner revenge, and focus upon minimizing your your expenses.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:33 AM

632 posts, read 1,068,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
With your costs of unpaid rent, utilities, legal fees, taxes, insurance, maintenance/repair, trash removal, indeterminable time of a vacant/ non-income generating rental, and court costs, your expenses are seemingly growing with virtually any decision that you are making. I am sorry to say that you continue to replicate the mistakes of an inexperienced landlord. You are beginning to sound as a vengeful individual with your sites set upon getting even with your former tenants, expecting a full reimbursement granted through the courts, instead of focusing upon the continued growth of your ever-growing expenses. In the best of circumstances, it is extremely rare that a landlord is able to fully recover all of his/her fees from a judge. It is even rarer, however, to be able to collect fully from the former tenants, who have a multitude of avenues to pursue in lieu of paying you. In the worst case scenario for you, you could finally win your judgment and your former tenants move out of state, and/or declare bankruptcy- you could find yourself winning the proverbial battle, but losing the war. In other words, you may win based upon the principle, but lose from every other vantage point. Landlording is a business, and we/you constantly must evaluate the bottom line. Beyond your unmitigated spending, you are also making mistakes that could appear spiteful and harm your position in court (disposal of tenant belongings & capturing their pet). Just my two cents (and this is based upon being a landlord for over 30 years), but you need to move past the anger and the need to garner revenge, and focus upon minimizing your your expenses.
/thread

Old 12-05-2013, 09:54 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,858,950 times
Quote:
If it presents the tenants in a bad light, and her in a reasonable one.

Quote:
That's why she needs to be careful about appearing to harass them in any way.
And posting it online!

Old 12-05-2013, 10:23 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,831,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
If it presents the tenants in a bad light, and her in a reasonable one.

And posting it online!
Good point. I can't help myself. I'm curious. I do wonder if it's as bad as she says. You're right, posting online would be a bad idea.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:00 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,492,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post

Old 12-05-2013, 11:47 AM

994 posts, read 897,953 times
Quote:
Good point. I can't help myself. I'm curious. I do wonder if it's as bad as she says. You're right, posting online would be a bad idea.
This poster has been having tenant issues for at least a year and a half now. Calling 911 based on the condition of the house? Openly telling people that she broke the law? Saying she is going to post pics? Trying to get the kids kicked out of school Something isn't right here. My advice is to convince the tenant to appear on a TV court show. That way I can find out what the real deal is, AND you actually get your damages paid by the tv show.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:39 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,505,524 times
The pet was left behind. Of course I had to capture her. She was hiding in the heat shaft.
The movie is too big for youtube.
Retiredcoach thanks for advice. Yours and Hope's are the most sensible ones. Yes, you are right, but at this point I'm done dealing with them; it's all in the lawyer's hands and I will go on with fixing the house.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:17 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,505,524 times
Well, I want all this to be a lesson for those who might read this thread in the future, especially in PA (or Pittsburgh).

Looking for solutions to my problems I read many horror stories. Some of you told me such stories. What I learned is that landlords have to run background and criminal checks. Also to check ids. I read somewhere that a couple of serial renters intentionally misspelled their names by switching two letters so that the background check revealed nothing. So it's important to check their ids - which I didn't. Also they say it's important to check references (from previous landlords). Although they might not be useful. They might say they are good renters just to be rid of them. Ultimately I read somewhere that it's always a good idea to check with the employer how long they have been there, something I didn't and I paid dearly.

Problem is that somebody who is less than a year in a job is much likely to lose that job than somebody who works for a company for sometime. That's debatable, I know, but this is what happened to me. My tenant was less than a year in a good job with a good company but he lost his job in Jan. Only now I found, among the trash he left behind, a paper from his employer saying that he was let go because of poor performance and misuse of internet at work.

So, if I were to do this again I'd know how to better chose candidates. But I'm never going to do it. This guy had a problem; maybe he was bipolar or simply arrogant. AT some point when I asked them to pay or be evicted he called me idiot.

Point is there are people who can't simply be polite or respectful when they are at fault. I should have realized right then and there and simply evict them for non payment rather than working with them to get back on track. SO see, I was too nice to them and a landlord who wants to protect his business shouldn't be.

So this is why I say I am not fit for this, but let this be a lesson for those who are thinking about going into this business.

And alos they should knownot to download leases from internet, but pay a lawyer to look over a lease.

Ultimately PA has laws that are abit different than other states, like in other states you can press criminal charges if the damages exceed 500. In PA you can't; it's all civil. Unfortunately for me. Because - and this is something that I read on line - in those states where such events can be considered criminal acts - vandalism - the guilty party can face jail time. And jail is a much bigger motivator to pay. People would pay not to go to jail. So that's why I called the police - somebody was asking me here.

I simply considered the destruction of my house so severe that I considered it an act of vandalism.

Last edited by XRiteMA98; 12-05-2013 at 07:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh