Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 02:34 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,131 times

Advertisements

Hopes has seen the pics. They speak for themselves. There are LOTS of damages. The ones done by pets are the interior French doors that were badly scratched. Other doors (closet doors) had permanents makers drawings on them by their kids. What kind of parent would let their kids draw on someone else's doors? Well, besides the fact this guy cut off the entire hallway carpet there was pet poop on the carpet in all the bedrooms. The Rusmur floor guy I called to measure the rooms to give me estimates was so squeamish like "is anybody going to pick up this poop before we remove the carpet?" Besides him there was the Mt Lebo police officer, my neighbor, my contractor and a friend who have seen the destruction and the poop on the carpet, the mops on the kitchen sink, the sink itself who was dislocated (pressed down) and so dirty, my God, I've never seen anything like this.

Believe me, the cats, other than being a story on itself, don't have other impact in the damages other than what I have mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 02:43 PM

Well, the IP address can be easily be identified via their internet provider they had at that time, if the court wants so. It can all be done, believe me, if necessary. I haven't watched any kind of legal movies lately (such drop dead diva etc) to see if anybody thought to write a script about accepting FB pages as evidence in court (when they do this it'll become mainstream to me but I think they should. If the source can be proven why not?

Also, if this guy would say it is not his FB account, why did he take it down ? Of course it was his. It was full of selfies (pics taken by him, of himself, in the mirror) and it had all kind of info about events that can be verifiable, like his wife posting oh, Lebo called, they want you for a game. The judge can very easily verify this with the Ice recreation center in Lebo. Or, oh, I submitted a leak test for job... Also verifiable...

Old 01-17-2014, 02:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
Is the bar for the authenticity of evidence set lower in criminal proceedings than in civil ones? I am not a lawyer, and I don't really care enough to Google it; I just imagine that the Facebook pages would need to be authenticated and tied to the accused by IP address.
I don't know. I'm saying it's irrelevant for the OP. She's going for damages that can easily be proven without any pictures of pets. Animal friends are the ones who are taking the tenants to court for criminal charges. It's basically Animal Friend's problem, not OP's.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:39 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
It dosnt matter what the tents do for a living. The worst damage we had was by a tenant who's father was a real estate lawyer. He cosigned the lease and made sure the rent was paid every month.
But when his daughter was evicted, we were left with broken windows ; the window were only 3 years old and they had broken the first pane or glass so nobody would notice it until you went up really close and then saw that it was missing. That happened in a gorgeous bay window that cost us $1500. The basement door was broken ; window and latch again broken. Holes in walls, burns in carpets, cat urine on the hardwood floors.
The worst was the fleas they left us. We had to gut the basement as the fleas were laying eggs in the insulating. That was so disgusting. She didn't even return the key, and my son who was 10 at the time, had to get in the window.
Then she sued me for the return of her security deposit ; obviously she didn't get a dime. Then I took her father to court as he had cosigned the lease. We just went to small claims court as it wasn't about the money ; just the fact that he thought they could get away with it. We did settle for $3500 ; he said he would pay $2000 just to get rid of me. I said no way. Eventually he came up to $3500 and I was ok with that. He did not want the judge to hear or see any pics that I had.
She even brought pics to court that showed them living in the house, but I had all the evidence of when they left the house and the condition they left it in.
Good luck ; been there, done that and I would never ever do it again. We have a vacant home in the poconos that realtors have asked us to rent, no no no is always my answer. I could never go thru it again.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:31 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
It dosnt matter what the tents do for a living. The worst damage we had was by a tenant who's father was a real estate lawyer. He cosigned the lease and made sure the rent was paid every month.
But when his daughter was evicted, we were left with broken windows ; the window were only 3 years old and they had broken the first pane or glass so nobody would notice it until you went up really close and then saw that it was missing. That happened in a gorgeous bay window that cost us $1500. The basement door was broken ; window and latch again broken. Holes in walls, burns in carpets, cat urine on the hardwood floors.
The worst was the fleas they left us. We had to gut the basement as the fleas were laying eggs in the insulating. That was so disgusting. She didn't even return the key, and my son who was 10 at the time, had to get in the window.
Then she sued me for the return of her security deposit ; obviously she didn't get a dime. Then I took her father to court as he had cosigned the lease. We just went to small claims court as it wasn't about the money ; just the fact that he thought they could get away with it. We did settle for $3500 ; he said he would pay $2000 just to get rid of me. I said no way. Eventually he came up to $3500 and I was ok with that. He did not want the judge to hear or see any pics that I had.
She even brought pics to court that showed them living in the house, but I had all the evidence of when they left the house and the condition they left it in.
Good luck ; been there, done that and I would never ever do it again. We have a vacant home in the poconos that realtors have asked us to rent, no no no is always my answer. I could never go thru it again.
This is why you should never allow pets in your rental.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:01 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
This is why you should never allow pets in your rental.
Many many people who live in rentals that don't allow pets, have them anyway. I was actually advised to just not tell potential landlords about my cat and two dogs. Now I personally cannot be dishonest like that. Fortunately I have found a great rental that is very accepting of my animals.

It really is a shame that people like this make it harder for those of us who are responsible pet owners.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:10 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Sorry to all you pet owners, but they can ruin a property, no matter how responsible you think you are.

I don't allow pets in any of my rentals.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:13 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Sorry to all you pet owners, but they can ruin a property, no matter how responsible you think you are.

I don't allow pets in any of my rentals.
That is your right and your choice and I respect that. As a pet owner looking for a rental I would keep looking. There are plenty of landlords who are accepting of pets in their rentals. No need to argue with one who does not. Just saying that many people in rentals that don't allow pets are keeping animals you might not be aware of.

Every apartment complex I have lived in or visited has had quite a few tenants with cats or dogs that they were not supposed to have.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:25 PM

Dorothy I have the same damages here, every floor needs work: they ruined the carpets in 3 bedrooms and it was only 1 year old. They cut out a hole in the kitchen's vinyl, cut the carpet in the hallway, scratched the hardwood floors in the living and it was freshly sanded when they moved it. All interior doors need replacing bc either they are badly scratched by dogs or drawn upon with permanent markers. Two ceiling fans need to be replaced. One of them is the fancy one with remote, that can go either way - aka to lift the air or push the air and dim the lights. Broken windows, patio table spray painted, the handle on the back sliding door was missing, 3 sinks absolutely clogged, broken pipe, kitchen sink dislocated, net on the storm door cut off, garage door openers missing, curtains missing, did not return any key. They only put the keys in the mail box 3 weeks later after I sent them the list of damages. At that time the locks had been long since changed. Baseboards scratched or missing, clothes hanger broken, cost of locksmith to change the locks, cost of cleaning and sanitizing the vents. They never changed air filters in the furnace. They didnt collect the leaves in 2 years... Plus the 4 cats left behind, the cost of fixing all this plus fees, electrician, plumbers, garage door guy - who also had to fix the garage door mechanism that had a part dangling, plus lots of chewed up sofas and broken furniture plus 3 large tvs to dispose of, total is 12k plus 2500 in back rent. This is what I am suing them for. I will never, ever, ever rent to anybody in my entire life.
Admittedly there are responsible pet owners out there but these just didnt care. They got pets without asking my permission. They didnt report problems bc they didnt want me there to see their pets. The smell of the house was just horrible. I know stables or pig sties that smelled better. And when I tried to say I wanted to come this time or that time they made excuses like oh, we have activities with kids; I have my bible study group meeting at home.
Seriously? Where in the bible is written that you can trash someone's property like this?

How fool I was!!! I'll see how it goes on Tue but I have about 50 pics with explanations and more than 3 witnesses.

Last edited by XRiteMA98; 01-19-2014 at 05:34 PM..

Old 01-20-2014, 06:14 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
We also tried to go thru the insurance company as we had insurance. However, the claims adjuster said it was ; HARD LIVING and not destruction. When I asked what would make it that, she said if they graffitied the walls, that would make it damage.

BTW ; a different house we had, had burglars stole all the copper wire and left us 28 inches of water in the basement. The ins wouldn't cover that either as they said the house was vacant!! The good guys just never win do they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh