Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 09:23 AM

225 posts, read 322,310 times

Advertisements

I think you can do better than Millvale or Etna. Places like West View and Emsworth can be equally affordable, but are better overall areas.

I think you could also get into Shaler proper and still stay below $100,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 09:43 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,483,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markson33 View Post
I think you can do better than Millvale or Etna. Places like West View and Emsworth can be equally affordable, but are better overall areas.

I think you could also get into Shaler proper and still stay below $100,000.
I agree with this. There are clearly homes that can be had for 100,000. May not be your dream house but I doubt you are finding your dream house in either Millvalle or Etna. I think you should keep an open mind about a school district and do a general search. You might be surprised at what you can afford in each district. For example, this is in Blawnox, in the Fox Chapel Area School District, one of the better ones around.

Blawnox Real Estate - 923 McKinley Avenue, Blawnox, PA, 15238

Old 10-23-2013, 10:34 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
I just looked at HH map. There are many options in nice areas. There are quite a few in Oakmont. There are two nice ones in O'Hara near Blawnox. There is one in Hampton, two in McCandless, a few in Shaler, (there was a huge four bedroom in Burchfield but it's under contract now.) There area ton in Ross.

She really doesn't need to be in the aluminum 100 year old houses in the old mill towns. She can be in any suburban area with a much more modern house. It's sort of mindboggling that the old houses in the river towns have as much value as the other houses. But it's a good time of year to house shop. I'll bet most of them went on the market in the spring and asking prices have been lowered.

OP, you need to set your search to 120k so you can see the houses that are 110k because you can get to 100k by negotiating.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:37 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,483,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I just looked at HH map. There are many options in nice areas. There are quite a few in Oakmont. There are two nice ones in O'Hara near Blawnox. There is one in Hampton, two in McCandless, a few in Shaler, (there was a huge four bedroom in Burchfield but it's under contract now.) There area ton in Ross.

She really doesn't need to be in the aluminum 100 year old houses in the old mill towns. She can be in any suburban area with a much more modern house. It's sort of mindboggling that the old houses in the river towns have as much value as the other houses. But it's a good time of year to house shop. I'll bet most of them went on the market in the spring and asking prices have been lowered.

OP, you need to set your search to 120k so you can see the houses that are 110k because you can get to 100k by negotiating.
The one in Burchfield was screaming for a flipper to buy it. A coat of paint, a cheap kitchen a couple of new vanities and it goes for close to 200,000.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:20 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
Yeah, that Birchfield one being underpriced reminds me of when we essentially gave away our childhood home when we were settling my father's estate. It was a great house and we all had fond memories growing up there. But my siblings were fighting, and we just wanted to be done with the estate. It was a huge 5 bedroom, 4-1/2 bath house in Fox Chapel. We sold it for 90k. It wasn't due to not being able to sell. It was only on the market for a week. That's how damn happy we were at the prospect of not having to talk to each other. It took us about 4 years to be a family again. There are deals to be had if people are patient enough. My family isn't the only one that is crazy enough to walk away from money.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:20 AM

9,316 posts, read 12,911,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
now that the East End has been rising out of our price range we, like many Lawrencevillians, are being gentrified out but still want to live nearby.
If by Lawrencevillians you mean earlier gentrifiers of Lawrenceville. Also, I thought you lived in Polish Hill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh