Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2013, 05:18 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,087,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Pittsburgh wouldn't be Pittsburgh if it followed a World Class City model.

You'd basically have to have a large large large influx of money...like what you'd see in Dubai these days. Tons of engineering to manipulate Pittsburgh so that it looks more like Hong Kong or New York City or somewhere like that. I think it would be almost short of completely unlikely. Like you'd need NYC to drop off the face of the earth somehow, and have everyone unanimously agree that Pittsburgh should be that 'world's great city' to have an endless flow of capital and money going into it to replace what NYC was, etc.

In short, it's just not really possible. Pittsburgh is Pittsburgh. It can't replace or compete with NYC while NYC exists, and even if NYC suddenly ceased to exist, it's highly unlikely Pittsburgh would rise to the occasion to replace NYC's status.
I'd say, in terms of topography, Pittsburgh is somewhat similar to San Francisco minus the ocean port, and San Francisco is a World Class city. Plus Atlanta shows that the ocean port is not necessary. And while NYC is dominant, Philadelphia and Boston hold up internationally.

But I'm not suggesting that Pittsburgh should be World Class. It's more a question of what it should be and what elements is it missing? Atlanta is going places, but where is Pittsburgh going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 05:20 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,734,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
You are entitled to your opinion. What you stated about columbus is exactly how I feel about pittsburgh minus the clean part.

You may not think columbus is great but there are alot more people that like it and see it as more business friendly than pittsburgh. Pittsburgh needs to learn from columbus or a city like it when it comes to business and population growth.

Of course our leaders go to cleveland for ideas instead
PITTSBURGH is fairly clean. maybe columbus is cleaner owing to the lack of people there

Old 10-21-2013, 05:32 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,388,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
PITTSBURGH is fairly clean. maybe columbus is cleaner owing to the lack of people there
??????????. Ok pman do you walk around with a blind fold on?

Old 10-21-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Move there. Now. Please.
Boy that is really in depth analysis. It would be nice if somebody could explain what a city like columbus is doing to grow its population / jobs by the thousands and where pittsburgh is missing the boat.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I lived in Columbus, OH for ten years or so before coming here. It was nice enough, but not so nice that I feel the need to try to replicate it. Also, I'm not sure what "The Magazine of Corporate Real Estate Strategy and Area Economic Development" is, but it sounds fishy.

Diversity is important....

Columbus

Old 10-21-2013, 05:47 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,886,528 times
Quote:
Boy that is really in depth analysis. It would be nice if somebody could explain what a city like columbus is doing to grow its population / jobs by the thousands and where pittsburgh is missing the boat.
By having negligible growth in the core and annexing their cranberrys. Take your blind fold off. Its not a difficult situation to understand.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:53 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,734,236 times
Quote:
??????????. Ok pman do you walk around with a blind fold on?
I think you walk around with poop colored glasses. Pittsburgh might be a bit "shabby" in a lot of places but it's not dirty in my experience.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:56 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,886,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I think you walk around with poop colored glasses. Pittsburgh might be a bit "shabby" in a lot of places but it's not dirty in my experience.
It is compared to the garden of eden - zmans ideal city.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:08 PM

419 posts, read 548,421 times
This whole thread is a pipe dream if you can't change the predominant attitude of the locals as well as the 1885 era political environment. It's a safe, stagnant, mediocre city that values sameness. It is not experimental enough to even make it a terrible city, let alone great city. Sure it has character and natural beauty. Sure it ain't Detroit. But everything here moves at a snails pace, if not at all. Take some risks Pittsburgh!

Old 10-21-2013, 06:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
Quote:
Is population growth and job growth important to you? If so, you might want to reconsider moving to Vermont. That state is one of only two states that lost population last year. The economic climate is frightening up there. It is forecasted to have a stagnant economy for the next 30 years. Are you, by chance, one of those people who will never be happy wherever you live? Who will always be unhappy and find something to complain about? Cause it seems silly that you think it's a positive thing to move to Vermont when it's worse for everything you complain about here. Let me do you a favor and warn you about something. Vermonters don't like change. If you move there, you better keep your mouth shut about how it could be improved or you will lead an extremely lonely life that borders on people being hostile towards you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh