Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2013, 09:47 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,234,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
(Except for those lily white Northwestern cities: the next Oregonian who preaches to me about racial tolerance is getting punched in the face)
Hipster tolerance is a bigger issue in Oregon

Actually, I would think the hispanic community is growing out west pretty fast, as agriculture is huge. Sure someone will have the stats to demonstrate/refute this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 11:55 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,216,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
You know that highway between Pittsburgh International Airport and Monroeville? It desperately needs to be upgraded to modern Interstate standards. And speaking of the airport and Monroeville, there need to be T extensions to both places as well.
Does that mean 3 lanes in each direction? If so...if that project started planning tomorrow it would be finished in about 35 years and cost 150 billion dollars. That estimate reflects the faith I have in leaders around to actually get anything done bigger than paving 10 miles of city streets a year.

The sad thing is I can imagine locals thinking that would be a great use of $150 billion, too.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:02 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,315,783 times
Thanks for posting those statistics, HeavenWood. It's quite depressing to see that only ~20% of African-Americans in Pittsburgh are either middle-class or upper-middle-class while ~80% are living either in poverty or not far above it. I think Pittsburgh's next mayor (Peduto, barring an alien invasion) really needs to take greater steps to address why Pittsburgh's African-American community is so impoverished relative to their Caucasian peers.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:47 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,807,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Thanks for posting those statistics, HeavenWood. It's quite depressing to see that only ~20% of African-Americans in Pittsburgh are either middle-class or upper-middle-class while ~80% are living either in poverty or not far above it. I think Pittsburgh's next mayor (Peduto, barring an alien invasion) really needs to take greater steps to address why Pittsburgh's African-American community is so impoverished relative to their Caucasian peers.
I don't know what you are talking about? The difference between Pittsburgh and other cities isn't that great and it is what it is. I don't think outsiders would make some difference. Money doesn't equate to happiness. Some folks might be quite happy regardless of income levels. Numbers are just numbers and if anyone wants to change their situation, they certainly can in Pittsburgh. Plenty of labor jobs can even get you out of poverty. Lots of trades out there that pay VERY well once you pay your dues.

Anyway, some mayor isn't going to magically change poverty rates. For the most part people live how they want to and just because someone is making $20K a year or even less doesn't mean they hare unhappy.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:40 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,835,490 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I don't know what you are talking about? The difference between Pittsburgh and other cities isn't that great and it is what it is. I don't think outsiders would make some difference. Money doesn't equate to happiness. Some folks might be quite happy regardless of income levels. Numbers are just numbers and if anyone wants to change their situation, they certainly can in Pittsburgh. Plenty of labor jobs can even get you out of poverty. Lots of trades out there that pay VERY well once you pay your dues.

Anyway, some mayor isn't going to magically change poverty rates. For the most part people live how they want to and just because someone is making $20K a year or even less doesn't mean they hare unhappy.
City-Data, the way it used to be.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:58 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,210,104 times
Quote:

The reason why is pretty obvious. Pittsburgh still has a fair number of down-on-their-luck neighborhoods filled largely with African American residents.

If areas like Homewood Brushton were to transform into middle class communities, more affluent blacks would move in and the poorer African American residents there now would move on- and the stats you are citing would improve.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:54 AM

9,316 posts, read 12,920,013 times
Quote:

So you feel that Fox Chapel should step up to the plate and build section-8 housing?

Old 11-03-2013, 12:55 PM

876 posts, read 1,139,369 times
Quote:
Unless Peduto can magically end the war on drugs and launch a massive public works and job training project that targets impoverished black neighborhoods, all he can really do is trim the branches: the root of black poverty is a national issue with relatively simple, but very expensive and time consuming solutions.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:22 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,136,779 times
Quote:
...Money doesn't equate to happiness...

...For the most part people live how they want to and just because someone is making $20K a year or even less doesn't mean they hare unhappy.
There is quite a bit of research that suggests you are wrong. As a jumping-off point: Money Does Buy Happiness, Says New Study - Forbes#

The idea that people living in abject poverty are as consistently happy as people making $75k+ a year is a ridiculous way to rationalize turning a blind eye to them. How in the world could a person be cheerful and contented when your day-to-day survival, economically and physically, is constantly in question? There are neighborhoods where people are beaten to death over a $15 drug debt -- this doesn't strike me as the act of a jubilant person. I don't think that growing up or living in an environment in which that sort of thing regularly happens breeds a lot of optimism or strong feelings of free will (i.e., "living how they want to").

Old 11-03-2013, 01:29 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,835,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
There is quite a bit of research that suggests you are wrong. As a jumping-off point: Money Does Buy Happiness, Says New Study - Forbes#

The idea that people living in abject poverty are as consistently happy as people making $75k+ a year is a ridiculous way to rationalize turning a blind eye to them. How in the world could a person be cheerful and contented when your day-to-day survival, economically and physically, is constantly in question? There are neighborhoods where people are beaten to death over a $15 drug debt -- this doesn't strike me as the act of a jubilant person. I don't think that growing up or living in an environment in which that sort of thing regularly happens breeds a lot of optimism or strong feelings of free will (i.e., "living how they want to").
Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to steindle again.
Somebody?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh