Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2016, 02:55 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,105,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
Pittsburgh could hold 600,000 people, mostly there needs to be an economic draw to make people come here of all classes
not just the people who can afford to pay $3000.00 a month rents for all these apartments they are building around here.
I highly doubt it could without a significant increase in apartment/condo units. The last time Pittsburgh has a 600k+ population was when 5 or even more people was the average household size. Today, it's just slightly above 2 I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 03:26 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,308,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I agree with this post. The Yinzer mindset needs to go, like yesterday. And we need to get serious about our Transit, I like how PAT is updating the Bus Stops downtown, but more needs to be done. PAT needs to become more technological. There's still a lot of the Yinzer mindsets within the PAT organization, that's scared of changing the system too much. I heard that off board fare payment for the "T" was met with a lot of resistance, even as it has been proven successful in many other cities. If I was the CEO those people would be out of job, this agency much change. If the "T" is proven successful with Off Board Fare payment, PAT needs to bring the concept to the Busways.

PAT needs its own official iPhone/Android Apps that encompasses TrueTime (Real Time Tracking), Connect Card Management, Schedules and even possibly real time Customer Service.
Aversion to technological advancement is painfully evident in my new office as well, where I'm a minority as a 20-something and most of my colleagues are well into their 50's. I can think of so many things that could be done to streamline operations, reduce redundancies, and increase overall efficiency, but with all of my superiors pushing retirement age what incentive would they really have to let someone try to shake things up on their watch? They just seem to be happy that I'm working hard with the "tried and true" system.

Sounds like PAT's administration, my office, etc. are microcosms of Pittsburgh at-large these days. The dying off of the "old guard" that has the "if it ain't broke, then don't fix it" mentality (even when things ARE broken) is happening slowly---painfully slowly to some of us who'd much rather drag everyone into the 21st Century kicking and screaming.

I mean, my tenure of employment as a personal banker at PNC wasn't that long ago, and the amount of people here who didn't trust the ATM or who didn't have Internet access to do online banking was mind-blowing. It made me think we lived in rural WV instead of one of the nation's largest metropolitan areas.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:37 PM

4,176 posts, read 2,922,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Aversion to technological advancement is painfully evident in my new office as well, where I'm a minority as a 20-something and most of my colleagues are well into their 50's. I can think of so many things that could be done to streamline operations, reduce redundancies, and increase overall efficiency, but with all of my superiors pushing retirement age what incentive would they really have to let someone try to shake things up on their watch? They just seem to be happy that I'm working hard with the "tried and true" system.

Sounds like PAT's administration, my office, etc. are microcosms of Pittsburgh at-large these days. The dying off of the "old guard" that has the "if it ain't broke, then don't fix it" mentality (even when things ARE broken) is happening slowly---painfully slowly to some of us who'd much rather drag everyone into the 21st Century kicking and screaming.

I mean, my tenure of employment as a personal banker at PNC wasn't that long ago, and the amount of people here who didn't trust the ATM or who didn't have Internet access to do online banking was mind-blowing. It made me think we lived in rural WV instead of one of the nation's largest metropolitan areas.
In 5-10 years the age demographic will change dramatically. I was 22 when I started my professional career. I was child to my co workers and my opinions were not valued. After a few deaths, retirements, and office shake ups I became the senior analyst on my team. Change was slow but steady similar to Pittsburgh's recovery.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:41 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,856,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

Yes, these are your Yinzers. That mindset is everywhere here, I would like to know why so many Old Time Pittsburghers are adverse to Change, what are they so afraid of, how did it become like this. Was its the Steel Collapse and that everyone who's lived through it here is just too scared that the sky will fall if ways of doing things should change?

I mean every city has people who are resistant to change, evolution. But the burgh has an overwhelming number of people with this mindset, which is why I coin the term "Yinzer" towards them, its such a large base of people and that fit squarely into this demographic box.

Pittsburgh is practically fighting with itself right now, as the Yinzer culture is being replaced by Young Progressive Grass Roots, its one I'm betting the Progressives will win over time. Its fascinating to watch Old Pittsburgh fight New Pittsburgh in every faucet here, from Transportation, to Government, to Banking, to Grocery Shopping. It's a full on Culture War happening right before our eyes.

I wonder if it will be just as hard to change a place like Detroit, going through its own Steel Collapse right now, but will they come out of it quicker than Pittsburgh did, if Detroit proves to be more willing to adapt to a changing society and economics?

Old 07-25-2016, 03:56 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,847,631 times
Young & old are battling over banks & grocery shopping here? I must miss that anytime I visit either establishments.

Last edited by UKyank; 07-25-2016 at 04:57 PM..

Old 07-25-2016, 04:14 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,896,695 times
Not much to see here, but two points I would like to make...

1. Lack of an internet connection at home is not always a choice or a shunning of technology. It can due to your priority of paying your other bills and buying food versus paying for internet.

2. The demographic that some are hoping dies off sooner rather than later is the very same group of people that stayed in this city when everyone else abandoned it. Hopefully none of those hoping for Yinzer die off ever become one of these perceived obsolete people and someone hopes they just go away. Just be careful what you wish for. The technology minded youth that some hope replace the Yinzers are not going to keep the neighborhoods affordable.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:18 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,033,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post

1. Lack of an internet connection at home is not always a choice or a shunning of technology. It can due to your priority of paying your other bills and buying food versus paying for internet.

2. The demographic that some are hoping dies off sooner rather than later is the very same group of people that stayed in this city when everyone else abandoned it. Hopefully none of those hoping for Yinzer die off ever become one of these perceived obsolete people and someone hopes they just go away. Just be careful what you wish for. The technology minded youth that some hope replace the Yinzers are not going to keep the neighborhoods affordable.
Exactly.

I'm always curious as to why so many think they know other people's situation and why they think they know what's best for everyone else.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:45 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,856,325 times
Quote:

Im sorry this is a BS excuse for being adverse to evolution. These same people you give pass to are the same one why Pittsburgh was coined the city 30 years behind the rest of the modern world.. Pittsburgh was dying with or without these people.

Either you change with the world or you get left behind.. Apprently you dont mind being left behind.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:53 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,033,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Im sorry this is a BS excuse for being adverse to evolution. These same people you give pass to are the same one why Pittsburgh was coined the city 30 years behind the rest of the modern world.. Pittsburgh was dying with or without these people.

Either you change with the world or you get left behind.. Apprently you dont mind being left behind.
Source to being coined 30 years behind the rest of the world?

Old 07-25-2016, 06:58 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,502,043 times
Quote:

They still suffer the delusion they will always be young. There IS only one alternative to growing old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh