Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 12:59 PM

44 posts, read 40,774 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I would be so grateful if you could offer some sound advice about finding an apartment or rental condo in the Pittsburgh area. We are a couple in our fifties with a large-breed, well behaved dog (not one of the hazardous breeds, 85 pound Labrador). I've been looking at apartment listings for the area and it is so overwhelming because we know nothing about the area. We're both retired, so commuting isn't an issue. Our main concerns are safety because we're not used to living in a city environment. Other than that, we're just looking for something that is preferably quiet that has parking for two vehicles. We'll need a two bedroom because we have an adult child that will visit and live with us at times (may end up going to college in the area for Grad School). We have allergies, so we don't mind and it's a plus if the units don't have carpet. Also, I don't this is an issue, but I'll throw it out there just in case: we are a lesbian couple, but we're very private and don't flaunt it. However, we obviously would not want a location where that would be an issue in regards to discrimination from the landlord, neighbors, or possibly expose us to violence because of that.

We plan to move anytime after October 1st.

Thank you so much for reading this and hopefully responding with some great ideas.

Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 01:22 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,367,674 times
First off, welcome in advance to Greater Pittsburgh!

I don't believe you'd have to worry about your sexual orientation being overtly detrimental to your quality-of-life anywhere within the urban core of the area. Nobody is going to walk up to you and your partner eating dinner together at Olive Garden and call you a slur. With that being said I happen to live in a rather left-leaning neighborhood in a far-left part of the city proper politically, and just the other day I met one of my neighbors for the first time---a middle-aged grandmother pushing her grandson around in a stroller as I canvassed the neighborhood with brochures for my business. We began talking, and she was not too happy that her former next-door neighbors were transvestites, after prefacing it by saying "I'm not closed-minded". I'm an openly-gay male with a same-sex partner of three years, but since I'm more on the "butch" side a lot of straight people talk to me like I'm one of their own. This permits me to hear a lot of the "behind closed doors" sorts of hidden bigotry, innuendo, and homophobia that goes on around here. So, yes, while your new neighbors, even in a supposed LGBT mecca like Shadyside, may welcome you with open arms, be advised you'll still probably be discussed negatively by a few of them subversively. This high school-like "cattiness" really isn't unique to any particular social or minority group, though, and everyone could talk about anyone for any reason behind one another's backs.

I'm not sure if it's Allegheny County or the City of Pittsburgh, but one of the two (maybe both?) jurisdictions LEGALLY prohibit a landlord from discriminating against a potential lessee based upon sexual orientation. Not sure if gender identity is also included in that, but that doesn't seem to be applicable in your case, anyways. One thing you'll learn about Pittsburgh/Allegheny County is that we're a left-leaning oasis on social issues amidst a state that is largely right-leaning on social issues (we elected admitted homophobes like Rick Santorum and Tom Corbett, as a point of reference). Some areas within the county, such as the East End of the city proper, are almost militantly liberal on social issues while other areas in the county (mainly the outlying areas) are almost militantly conservative on social issues. PA is the only state in the Northeast that doesn't permit either same-sex civil unions or same-sex marriage, but I foresee this changing once we have a Democratic and/or moderate Republican governor in office because we in the LGBT community have been applying gradually more and more pressure on our government to get the ball rolling on this front. Nevertheless lesbian friends of ours here in the East End married one another earlier this year in nearby Braddock, despite our terrible governor saying it was "incest".

I actually don't know if there are any attorneys here in Pittsburgh specializing in same-sex relationships and/or laws pertaining to the LGBT community overall. My friend in Squirrel Hill, who is a lawyer, actually thinks I should pursue law school to specialize in this very field of expertise, but we'll see about that! LOL!

Now on to the "pet-friendly" requirement. You'll soon learn that if you look on CraigsList for apartments a zillion hits will come back followed by that list being cut down to about 5% of the overall total, if that, once you select the checkbox for "accepts dogs", with most of those having a built-in premium for pet rent. Our current landlady has made our life miserable because we have a Dachshund (which she agreed to at the time of move-in). We have every intention of paying a contractor to fix the minor damages that have been incurred by the dog thus far (surface scratches on an interior door and dig-marks on the carpet in the bedroom) before we vacate the premises in order to leave the unit pristine for the next tenant. Nevertheless she always harasses us and says "this is why I never wanted a dog in here..." It's going to be an uphill battle finding a rental that suits your lifestyle preferences, your budget, your ideal location, AND that is also pet-friendly, but I wish you the best of luck!

Finally, please elaborate upon "parking for two vehicles". Would you prefer dedicated off-street parking spaces, or would on-street parking suffice for the right unit?

Old 10-21-2013, 01:41 PM

"Would you prefer dedicated off-street parking spaces, or would on-street parking suffice for the right unit?"

Dedicated would be preferable. Especially something unlikely to get the car damaged or beat to hell with door dents.

I also should have mentioned that rent amount really isn't an issue. It can be cheap or expensive as long as it's worth it.

Thanks!

Old 10-21-2013, 02:01 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,847,083 times
Look for a PM I sent you.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:08 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,573,132 times
Is there something particular you want to be near, a certain area or amenity? Not work obviously since you're retired. With no firm budget cap you're not going to run into unsafe areas. The trick is finding a place that allows the lab. Sometimes this is easier if you look for a rental house rather than apartment, but not always.

The large dog will narrow your choices a lot, but a little more direction would help. You're not used to a city environment you say, but do you specifically want to live in a more urban environment? Or do you want to be on the outskirts of the city? In most cases places outside the city are going to mean you'll be driving to everything, even if a short distance. Any family that you need to be within reasonable distance to?

Old 10-21-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Is there something particular you want to be near, a certain area or amenity? Not work obviously since you're retired. With no firm budget cap you're not going to run into unsafe areas. The trick is finding a place that allows the lab. Sometimes this is easier if you look for a rental house rather than apartment, but not always.

The large dog will narrow your choices a lot, but a little more direction would help. You're not used to a city environment you say, but do you specifically want to live in a more urban environment? Or do you want to be on the outskirts of the city? In most cases places outside the city are going to mean you'll be driving to everything, even if a short distance. Any family that you need to be within reasonable distance to?
Being that we're retired, we don't really have any requirements on whether something decent is in or on the city outskirts, we just need to get closer to the city, or in it, because my partner is dealing with a lot of medical issues and the appointments are in various city locations. Right now we're having to make a multi-hour drive multiple times per month to get to those appointments. And winter is going to make that even worse, so we figure we'll just go ahead and move to Pittsburgh because the medical stuff is going to be ongoing.

As far as a house, we don't really want to deal with the maintenance issues. Or, have to pay someone else to do it.

So, safe and low maintenance.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:58 PM

Thank you so much for that wonderful response Steelcityrising. A few things in it were very helpful and insightful. Yes, I realize it's not going to be easy, but fortunately we don't really have much of a financial issue. Not millionaires, but fortunate enough to have great retirements.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:55 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,367,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl.In.The.Woods View Post
Thank you so much for that wonderful response Steelcityrising. A few things in it were very helpful and insightful. Yes, I realize it's not going to be easy, but fortunately we don't really have much of a financial issue. Not millionaires, but fortunate enough to have great retirements.
It's my absolute pleasure! Do you mind telling us where you're moving here from? Sometimes knowing where someone is from can help because those who may be from the same city you're living in now may be familiar with it and be able to give you a side-by-side comparison of neighborhoods/suburbs comparable between both cities (i.e. "If you're looking for something like Mt. Adams in Cincinnati, then try Mt. Washington" or "Our Strip District is like Cleveland's West Side Market"). If you already know what you like where you're living now and want to replicate it here in Pittsburgh, this is a good strategy. Our sub-forum is one of the more active ones on all of City-Data, and many on here have lived in many other places before.

I would like to take this opportunity to recommend the Gateway at Summerset to you.

Apartments for Rent in Pittsburgh, PA | The Gateway at Summerset

This is a brand new planned apartment community in Squirrel Hill that is very close to the Waterfront (big-box shopping area with Dave & Buster's, Macy's, Best Buy, Lowe's, movie theater, chain restaurants, etc.) as well as to I-376 for easy access to the main UPMC medical campus in Oakland. The rent is quite steep by Pittsburgh standards, but if you can swing the $1,400/month-$1,700/month range it looks like a wonderful place. I make deliveries nearly daily to the adjacent single-family home portion of the subdivision, and I always see a lot of people from all age ranges and backgrounds walking dogs, jogging, doing yoga in their front yards, etc. It's pretty much a suburban neighborhood plopped into the city, but they make it feel more "city-like" by having sidewalks, curbs, street lights, nice landscaping, most of the garages behind the houses (instead of in front), etc. It's still too "new" for me to know anything firsthand from people who live in the actual apartments, but I'll definitely report back when I know more.

Otherwise Shadyside, also in the East End, is probably the closest Pittsburgh has to a "gayborhood" because most of the LGBT community here is rather dispersed. There are two gay bars on Ellsworth Avenue (5801 attracts a younger crowd of mostly gay/bi males and Spin attracts a more middle-aged crowd, often affluent, and a mixture of men and women). Lawrenceville is a very artsy and hip neighborhood that is also popular with the LGBT community. Cattivo is probably the most lesbian-friendly nightclub I've been to here, although Blue Moon is no slouch either. There are also niche bars, such as Donnie's Place in Polish Hill, which caters to gay men into the "leather" scene, and North Oakland's P-Town, which is more or less a gay male strip club.

While most resources, gathering spots, and social venues for the LGBT community are in the East End that's not to imply the rest of the city (and county) are any less welcoming towards us. PreservationPioneer is an openly-gay man who has been living happily near McKees Rocks. YoungAbe bought a house in Crafton Heights, in the West End. We live in Polish Hill and are likely going to be living in Troy Hill, on the North Side, at some point in 2014 when we buy a house. To my knowledge none of us have had any issues here due to our sexual orientations, and I doubt you will, either.

I would first find places that look appealing to you that ALSO accept large dogs. Then come onto here and ask for feedback on those specific locales.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
It's my absolute pleasure! Do you mind telling us where you're moving here from? Sometimes knowing where someone is from can help because those who may be from the same city you're living in now may be familiar with it and be able to give you a side-by-side comparison of neighborhoods/suburbs comparable between both cities (i.e. "If you're looking for something like Mt. Adams in Cincinnati, then try Mt. Washington" or "Our Strip District is like Cleveland's West Side Market"). If you already know what you like where you're living now and want to replicate it here in Pittsburgh, this is a good strategy. Our sub-forum is one of the more active ones on all of City-Data, and many on here have lived in many other places before.

I would like to take this opportunity to recommend the Gateway at Summerset to you.

Apartments for Rent in Pittsburgh, PA | The Gateway at Summerset

This is a brand new planned apartment community in Squirrel Hill that is very close to the Waterfront (big-box shopping area with Dave & Buster's, Macy's, Best Buy, Lowe's, movie theater, chain restaurants, etc.) as well as to I-376 for easy access to the main UPMC medical campus in Oakland. The rent is quite steep by Pittsburgh standards, but if you can swing the $1,400/month-$1,700/month range it looks like a wonderful place. I make deliveries nearly daily to the adjacent single-family home portion of the subdivision, and I always see a lot of people from all age ranges and backgrounds walking dogs, jogging, doing yoga in their front yards, etc. It's pretty much a suburban neighborhood plopped into the city, but they make it feel more "city-like" by having sidewalks, curbs, street lights, nice landscaping, most of the garages behind the houses (instead of in front), etc. It's still too "new" for me to know anything firsthand from people who live in the actual apartments, but I'll definitely report back when I know more.

Otherwise Shadyside, also in the East End, is probably the closest Pittsburgh has to a "gayborhood" because most of the LGBT community here is rather dispersed. There are two gay bars on Ellsworth Avenue (5801 attracts a younger crowd of mostly gay/bi males and Spin attracts a more middle-aged crowd, often affluent, and a mixture of men and women). Lawrenceville is a very artsy and hip neighborhood that is also popular with the LGBT community. Cattivo is probably the most lesbian-friendly nightclub I've been to here, although Blue Moon is no slouch either. There are also niche bars, such as Donnie's Place in Polish Hill, which caters to gay men into the "leather" scene, and North Oakland's P-Town, which is more or less a gay male strip club.

While most resources, gathering spots, and social venues for the LGBT community are in the East End that's not to imply the rest of the city (and county) are any less welcoming towards us. PreservationPioneer is an openly-gay man who has been living happily near McKees Rocks. YoungAbe bought a house in Crafton Heights, in the West End. We live in Polish Hill and are likely going to be living in Troy Hill, on the North Side, at some point in 2014 when we buy a house. To my knowledge none of us have had any issues here due to our sexual orientations, and I doubt you will, either.

I would first find places that look appealing to you that ALSO accept large dogs. Then come onto here and ask for feedback on those specific locales.
You are so helpful, it's absolutely wonderful how kind and resourceful you are to newcomers.

What's your feedback on either "The Cork Factory" or "The Docks" apartment complexes? I've exchanged some emails with them and they both will take the dog. We're going to try and visit them later this week.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:54 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,573,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl.In.The.Woods View Post
What's your feedback on either "The Cork Factory" or "The Docks" apartment complexes? I've exchanged some emails with them and they both will take the dog. We're going to try and visit them later this week.
The Cork Factory is a renovated old building, so there are some details that relate to that, including loft style. Mostly going to be urban professionals here, located in the city's Strip District neighborhood. There are a number of food-related shops nearby. The Strip is very busy on weekends during the day. In the evenings these days it's usually pretty quiet. Some think it can be sketchy to walk around at night, but mostly it is just deserted (which I guess could give off that sort of feeling). The businesses in the Strip are pretty much 9-5 operations, except for a couple of the stores. There are a few restaurants and night spots but not many compared to some other city neighborhoods, and in the immediate vicinity it's mostly quiet at night although one of the restaurants is right across the street from the Cork Factory. There is another apartment building I think now complete or nearly so just about next door, and a condo building another block away, so there's perhaps a couple hundred units of residential right within those couple blocks.

The Docks is a fairly typical suburban apartment complex, built new about 10 or 15 years ago. It's not too far from the city. It's along the river. In fact both are along the river. It's a pleasant enough suburban area I suppose, convenient to drive into the city or drive to shopping.

Nothing wrong with either of them that I know of. Since the proximity doesn't really matter on a daily basis, what to choose is a matter of preference for location and/or style of property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh