Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 11:25 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,144,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm only registered as a Republican so I can undermine the party during the primaries. I'm very liberal and often vote Democrate.
That's fine. I wasn't saying anything about you politically -- I was saying that this policy likely bothers Republicans.

Quote:
It's downright silly for preference to be given to physically able bodied people just because they drive a special car.
Well, that's a decision that the company has made, as it has every right to. This is my primary point: Why are people so mad about a privately-made decision? They are free to provide those spaces, and you are free not to shop there if it bothers you so deeply.

Quote:
It's further silly that the people who drive these cars think the spaces are there to reward them for having the money to buy an expensive new car, or for carrying more debt than they can handle because of it.
I have no idea whatsoever how this line of reasoning logically follows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 11:35 AM

814 posts, read 1,149,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Debunking the "Pittsburghers are so nice" fable, thread #3526
Selfishness, narcissism, being oblivious to the world outside one's own tiny brain, believing oneself to be above the rules and/or deserving of special treatment over everyone else...these traits are present everywhere on the planet. They are not endemic to Pittsburgh.

I still let it get to me a little too much when I see people manifesting those traits, but I've definitely mellowed a bit in recent years. What's helped the most has learning to simply be grateful that I was raised in a manner that has provided me with the self-awareness and conscience not to be one of those people.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:39 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
I'm only registered as a Republican so I can undermine the party during the primaries.
I see I'm not the only one who does that. Every other state I've lived in I could register as independent and vote in either party's primary. Not in PA. So while I vote for people, not parties, in the general elections, I do vote against the far right in primaries.

And if I was registered as Democrat I'd vote against the far left.

I don't get the LEED points either. Sounds dumber than carbon credits.

As far as food trucks go, nobody's spending energy heating the things when they're not in use. Buildings require heat all the time. So energy use is a silly argument.

Besides, it's a great low-risk way to learn about entrepreneurism. The food is often cheaper and of better quality than fast food chains, so those on budgets have an additional low-cost lunch option. And a lot of neighborhoods don't have decent tacos or felafel or whatever the truck is selling. So I have no issue with them.

Having a law where they can't be in one spot for more than 30 minutes - now that causes unnecessary energy waste.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:03 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
Selfishness, narcissism, being oblivious to the world outside one's own tiny brain, believing oneself to be above the rules and/or deserving of special treatment over everyone else...these traits are present everywhere on the planet. They are not endemic to Pittsburgh.

I still let it get to me a little too much when I see people manifesting those traits, but I've definitely mellowed a bit in recent years. What's helped the most has learning to simply be grateful that I was raised in a manner that has provided me with the self-awareness and conscience not to be one of those people.
No doubt man, no doubt.

At the same time it's kinda goofy to disregard something because it happens elsewhere (not saying that you're doing so but a lot of people do). What is really confusing to me is that the "we're so friendly" stereotype is still being talked about freely. Yet for anyone who is well traveled will tell you that stereotype is completely overblown. Not that city-data is a measuring stick to the pulse of the city, but just take a look at how people treat one another in both real life and any Pittsburgh related commenting section online.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:41 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
I'm only registered as a Republican so I can undermine the party during the primaries. I'm very liberal and usually vote Democrate. I oppose the environmental parking spaces because they are only created to get green certification for buildings. If the building isn't doesn't have enough points to qualify as green without those parking spaces, the building isn't green. It's downright silly for preference to be given to physically able bodied people just because they drive a special car. I would only respect a parking space like that if it had a electrical outlet for charging the vehicle. That makes sense. Giving a space simply to get green certification doesn't make sense. It's further silly that the people who drive these cars think the spaces are there to reward them for having the money to buy an expensive new car, or for carrying more debt than they can handle because of it.
I did that all the time to vote against Rick Santorum.

Now that he's gone, back to being Independent.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:43 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I did that all the time to vote against Rick Santorum.
I knew I liked you.

Can someone see about this:
Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Copanut again.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:27 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post

Done.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
That's fine. I wasn't saying anything about you politically -- I was saying that this policy likely bothers Republicans.
So far, that's not the case in this thread.

Quote:
Well, that's a decision that the company has made, as it has every right to. This is my primary point: Why are people so mad about a privately-made decision?
It's a decision they made because they got a tax break for having a green building when the parking space doesn't make the building any greener. We're not mad. We think it's stupid.

Quote:
They are free to provide those spaces, and you are free not to shop there if it bothers you so deeply.
I can still shop there and park wherever I want because I can't get a ticket for it.

Quote:
I have no idea whatsoever how this line of reasoning logically follows.
I think it's funny that some people think these spaces are there to reward them. They don't know the real reason behind the space being there. They are patting themselves on the back and being upset by non-hybrid owners parking in their special spot. And I was also pointing additional reasons why they aren't special. Being able to afford a new car doesn't make someone more environmentally conscious than someone who can't afford a hybrid but wants one. And going in debt and living above one's means doesn't make someone very special either, especially considering that type of lifestyle contributed to the recession and caused a ton of trouble for Americans who are responsible and live within their means. Of course, not all of these things apply to everyone, except the silly idea that the spaces are there to reward them, when the spaces are only there for the company to get a tax break on a building that doesn't qualify to be green otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Done.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Done.
And again, please:
Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Caladium again.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Done.
And one more time:
Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Hopes again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh