U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 08:46 PM

706 posts, read 409,974 times

Advertisements

I am sure that many of you have seen the latest Bill Peduto commercial. As much as I like Bill Peduto and am glad that he is almost certain to win the mayoral election on Tuesday, I do not like his latest commercial. In this commercial, he claims that he will listen to "Earl the Street Sweeper" before "Downtown Insiders." He also will listen to guys like "Coach Jeff" while "giving no more money for stadiums" The commercial goes on to show that he is more for the Average Joe's than the Downtown Big Shots. An an Average Joe myself, I take offense to it. Does Peduto or whoever is making these ads think that most Pittsburghers are too shallow to understand that we need a balance? We need to take care of both the little guys AND big business. David Lawrence, who was arguably the greatest mayor in Pittsburgh history, teamed with Henry Heinz and Richard King Mellon. It is crucial for Peduto to have a good relationship with heavy hitters. Bill Peduto is a smart guy. I am not so naive to think that he will shun big business. I just have a problem with preying on the emotions of the general public like this is 1978. Neighborhoods like the South Side and Lawrenceville are no longer full of Frank Jablonski's that work in the mill. Their demographic today is more educated. It is time that these political commercials stop being so insulting to our intelligence by assuming too much.

Last edited by Gee Whiz; 10-31-2013 at 08:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 09:08 PM

9,734 posts, read 8,757,559 times
Unfortunately, these days everybody expects politicians to favor one or the other, instead of both or neither.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:11 PM

1,796 posts, read 622,829 times
Just saying what he's told to say. Don't worry, it won't be long before his pockets are lined by "Downtown Big Shots".

Old 10-31-2013, 09:27 PM

789 posts, read 407,578 times
Political ads are never aimed at the intellectual segment of the voting public.

Besides, the election is already his: might as well have some fun and make an ad that could've been a trailer for a Rick Sebak special.

(For the record, I love Rick Sebak and want to pinch his cheeks)

Old 10-31-2013, 09:50 PM

1,536 posts, read 958,239 times
I don't really even like Bill Peduto, but I just took it as a lighthearted "feel good" type of ad that a politician can put out whenever he doesn't really have to attack his opponent very hard. The modern Pittsburgh equivalent of kissing babies and cutting ribbons, I guess.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:18 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,508,891 times
What was the point of bringing up the stadiums? That was done over a decade ago. Even the Consol has been open for a while now.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:33 AM

26,549 posts, read 47,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
What was the point of bringing up the stadiums? That was done over a decade ago. Even the Consol has been open for a while now.
I was wondering about this myself. We now have newer stadiums for professional baseball, semi-professional soccer, and professional football along with a newer arena for professional hockey, and a newer convention center. The Petersen Events Center is also in great shape for Pitt basketball. The city won't have the need for another expensive sporting venue for decades.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:47 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,508,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I was wondering about this myself. We now have newer stadiums for professional baseball, semi-professional soccer, and professional football along with a newer arena for professional hockey, and a newer convention center. The Petersen Events Center is also in great shape for Pitt basketball. The city won't have the need for another expensive sporting venue for decades.
I guess it's easy to say, "no more money for stadiums" when you know you're not going to have to face that question.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:07 AM

1,010 posts, read 641,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
I am sure that many of you have seen the latest Bill Peduto commercial. As much as I like Bill Peduto and am glad that he is almost certain to win the mayoral election on Tuesday, I do not like his latest commercial. In this commercial, he claims that he will listen to "Earl the Street Sweeper" before "Downtown Insiders." He also will listen to guys like "Coach Jeff" while "giving no more money for stadiums" The commercial goes on to show that he is more for the Average Joe's than the Downtown Big Shots. An an Average Joe myself, I take offense to it. Does Peduto or whoever is making these ads think that most Pittsburghers are too shallow to understand that we need a balance? We need to take care of both the little guys AND big business. David Lawrence, who was arguably the greatest mayor in Pittsburgh history, teamed with Henry Heinz and Richard King Mellon. It is crucial for Peduto to have a good relationship with heavy hitters. Bill Peduto is a smart guy. I am not so naive to think that he will shun big business. I just have a problem with preying on the emotions of the general public like this is 1978. Neighborhoods like the South Side and Lawrenceville are no longer full of Frank Jablonski's that work in the mill. Their demographic today is more educated. It is time that these political commercials stop being so insulting to our intelligence by assuming too much.
The culture of pay to play, nepotism and favortism exists in extreme form around here. Unless peduto lays out the structure and hires qualified people it wont ever change.

The fbi investigating the mayors office has been a huge embarrassment nationally. This city will be forever stuck and the deaths will always outnumber pop growth. The footprint for changing the culture is the last hope for the city to turnaround.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:23 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,036,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
The culture of pay to play, nepotism and favortism exists in extreme form around here. Unless peduto lays out the structure and hires qualified people it wont ever change.
Uhhh, yeah. Laying out a structure (in, for example, the 100 policy papers he presented over the course of the campaign: link) and hiring qualified people (link) have pretty much been the foundation of his entire campaign and career.

Quote:
The fbi investigating the mayors office has been a huge embarrassment nationally. This city will be forever stuck and the deaths will always outnumber pop growth. The footprint for changing the culture is the last hope for the city to turnaround.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh