Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 06:40 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,015,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Magarac View Post
P.S. The really nice houses in HP are on the hill, and the really nice ones are north of $400K. But there are decent houses on the hill for $250K-$350K, and there are a few post-1950s infill houses up there for less than $200K. And as ELDI gentrifies the northern part of East Liberty, the flat part of HP is getting nicer all the time.
What do you mean by "up on the hill"? Personally, I find this block much more beautiful than this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
So are we considering a grocery store (meaning fresh produce) as an integral component of a neighborhood's "walkability?" If so, that does bring the hammer down on places like Lawrenceville and Regent Square, which by any other measure are absolutely walkable places.
Upper Lawrenceville has long had the Shop n Save. The Wild Purveyors is pricey, but it can act as a full-service neighborhood market as well. And the 52nd Street Market will soon be open, which is supposed to be a bit better for everyday staples. I don't know why Upper Lawrenceville will have three grocery options, while the rest of the neighborhood has none, but whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I think Brookline is perfectly walkable. While Las Palmas, Pitaland, and the African store aren't "full service" grocery stores you could easily live off of what they offer (Las Palmas has dish soap, paper towels, etc).
I think you're being pretty charitable to Brookline. Parts of Brookline are walkable, but it's a huge neighborhood. The areas down Whited Street and up Pioneer Avenue are very far removed from the business district.

Squirrel Hill is actually pretty similar, come to think of it. It's walkable, but large portions of the neighborhood (particularly to the South) are very far from the main business district.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
In fact, I would say that all of the hilltop neighborhoods aside from Brookline are not walkable. If you want to "have a life" or even in some cases have food you have to go somewhere else. Not a popular opinion here but in many cases accurate.
This is mostly a function of how blighted much of the Hilltop is. Brownsville could be an amazing commercial corridor, if the region came back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Another vote for Lawrenceville here. Bad transit options, bad cycling infrastructure and road quality, not centrally located, yet rents and purchase prices are astronomical. They're asking Squirrel Hill / Shadyside prices for a neighborhood that has about 1/3 the amenities. It's a bandwagon.
I bought in Lawrenceville in 2007 BECAUSE I bike. I had lived in Bloomfield/Friendship for three years, and I was getting sick of the uphill bike commute back home. I like that I live in a neighborhood at the same elevation as downtown. It makes getting back and forth a breeze nine months out of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloride1 View Post
What evidence do you have the the houses east of Ruth dropped their values during the last reassessment?
Here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 07:25 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,888,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I bought in Lawrenceville in 2007 BECAUSE I bike. I had lived in Bloomfield/Friendship for three years, and I was getting sick of the uphill bike commute back home. I like that I live in a neighborhood at the same elevation as downtown. It makes getting back and forth a breeze nine months out of the year.
Hilarious. The thing I hated second-most (after the actual house I lived in) in L'ville was living ON a hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
I'm with Hopes on Regent Sq's walkability, if you take into account everything in Wilkinsburg that's within about 10 blocks of most of Regent Sq/Park Place.
The only business district I'm familiar with there is the area on S. Braddock where Square Cafe is. Where are the walkable Giant Eagle, post office, drug store, etc? Do you walk to these places from your home on a regular basis? (I suspect my idea of "walkable" may be different from yours.)

Old 11-04-2013, 07:52 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Hilarious. The thing I hated second-most (after the actual house I lived in) in L'ville was living ON a hill.
I think we used to be neighbors... and we have about the same opinion of Larryville.

Quote:
The only business district I'm familiar with there is the area on S. Braddock where Square Cafe is. Where are the walkable Giant Eagle, post office, drug store, etc? Do you walk to these places from your home on a regular basis? (I suspect my idea of "walkable" may be different from yours.)
The Walgreens on Penn and Braddock, the East End Co-Op, and the Wilkinsburg post office are all within about 10 blocks of where I live... which, granted, is closer to Forbes and Braddock than what most people think of as Regent Sq.

Now I don't consider it as walkable as Friendship was. Hell, when I lived there I had my barber, car garage, and favorite coffee shop, pizza joint, bar, thrift store, corner store, and music venue within walking distance... and I mean crawling-out-of-bed-with-a-blistering-hangover-on-Saturday-morning walking distance.

But yes, living roughly where Wilkinsburg, Regent Sq, and Park Place meet, I feel like I have the bare essentials, as well as a couple luxuries, within reasonable walking distance.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:55 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,015,156 times
Quote:
I live north of Butler in Central Lawrenceville. It's not quite flat as a pancake here, since there's a bit of a rise on that last block up to Butler, but it's close.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:10 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
if you consider 28th Street as L'ville's southern border.
That's woefully inaccurate. That's still the bedrock Strip District. Lawrenceville doesn't start until you hit 33rd Street.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:43 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,032,431 times
I'll miss living in a walkable neighborhood. McKees Rocks had everything I needed within walking distance. But the truth is I still preferred to get in my car and go places, anyway.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:49 PM

781 posts, read 1,618,873 times
Squirrel Hill south. Safe in most places, but the "neighborhood school" Mineado is tanking.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
I'll miss living in a walkable neighborhood. McKees Rocks had everything I needed within walking distance. But the truth is I still preferred to get in my car and go places, anyway.
I pay a premium to live in a neighborhood that is a long and hilly walk from everything. Now that the weather is starting to get colder I probably won't be prancing around the Strip District or sauntering into Oakland from my abode anytime soon---at least until March.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post
Squirrel Hill south. Safe in most places, but the "neighborhood school" Mineado is tanking.
Is it because their graduates can't spell its name of "Minadeo"?

Old 11-05-2013, 08:17 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
True, it's good if you're working downtown or in the Strip. It is very difficult to access the core of the East End though. And most of the roads running through Lville are in horrendous condition for bikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh