Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 07:33 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joco View Post
for awhile there was a sign in the window about a dress shop coming in too at east liberty place. It never materialized and the sign is gone now. Think it was the same space that says sub shop now. I just noticed the Thai sign today. I wish the signs were a little less generic. I'm very curious and yes the block between Negley and Penn circle needs some attention. I walk from Penn and Negley to bakery square almost daily and that part of the walk seems the longest as the buildings are set so far off the street and it's just a long stretch of bland sidewalk. The company that owns the more run down building on the right side are the same group that bought baby land which still sits unattended to or leased. I was so hoping that would be torn down. The empty lot on the other corner, the former gulf station, is owned by Monroe muffler who leases it to the city and work trucks and gravel have been there for 2 years now. It's not a very attractive corner.
i was told that piece of land owned by the monroe muffler will be turned into a small mix-use apartments similar to the pennley place across the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 08:33 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
personally i would like to see folks go to those established restaurants on penn ave AFTER 9pm. it seems nightlife around there dies once night hits. I don't get it. part of me is thinking that east lib might face somewhat of a smaller scale as what some of you here have mentioned and what i have witnessed: it's got the dowtown syndrome.

folks will enjoy it, go to it during daytime but at night..forget it.

A lot of local people are sort of cautious about being in East Liberty and Garfield after dark on foot. There is a concern about gang activity and other unpleasantness going on along there. Traditionally the area was a fairly popular place for the drug trade as well as prostitution.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:11 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
A lot of local people are sort of cautious about being in East Liberty and Garfield after dark on foot. There is a concern about gang activity and other unpleasantness going on along there. Traditionally the area was a fairly popular place for the drug trade as well as prostitution.
i think there is enough police present in the area there to make it not feel bad. heck, i go there often. in fact, to me lawrenceville is a bit worse.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:40 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Yes you should use caution when in isolated areas but overall you are just as likely or even more likely to run into trouble in the southside or Oakland at the same time of day - which isn't that likely, but still not perfect.

I haven't hear anything about penn and negley being developed. Something great could be gone with that parcel that would be a game changer for that corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh