Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 03:48 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
You don't live in pittsburgh
I did though...still would if I could have some acreage. And....I worked in Pittsburgh, I have family in Pittsburgh that I see regular. I shop in Pittsburgh and I eat in Pittsburgh. I am a whole 45 minutes away....but then I explore places and seek out new experiences. Now what other parts of the country have you lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 04:44 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,235 times
Dammit Pittsburgh, move faster, be happier!

Old 11-09-2013, 06:19 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,685 times
Quote:
It is certainly a vibe given off in this region isn't it? While it is not true for everybody, there are a lot of people that give off the "I don't want to be here" vibe. I have mentioned this before and have been blasted for doing so. I do see it a lot around here and not just in the restaurants or with service. I see it in downtown every single day. People look sad, down and self loathing. It lacks a positive energy. Heck, I have been in restaurants and bars 20 miles down the road in the wv panhandle and people serve you quicker and have a better attitude about them.

I also think the weather is an excuse to be down. If you go to other states that have a huge population that moved from somewhere else people are much happier because they want to be there. I have seen it in Vermont (snowy / cold), Florida and North Carolina, where a good number of the people moved there from elsewhere and have a more positive energy about them.
I have heard Mayor elect Bill Peduto touch on this "positive energy" that is so lacking in Pittsburgh, yet is so prevalent everywhere else. He plans on rectifying this problem by putting Prozac in the water supply as they do in other cities. He got this idea at a convention for city planning in Chicago, where despite cold and harsh winters, the people are always beaming ear to ear. He found out that Chicago starting "drugging" the water system about a decade ago. Now Chicago is all the rage. This is what Pittsburgh needs to do to be a real player in the customer service industry rather than lagging behind every city in every category as we do now. Since we can't change the latitude, this sounds like a way to change the attitude.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:11 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times
I was going to sit this one out, but when I first moved here in 2002, the inferiority of customer service was noticeable compared to where I lived in NYC, MA, CT. But not DC, lol.

It doesn't bother me anymore except in higher end restaurants, where I'd expect genuinely professional service. I guess I got used to it everywhere else as it doesn't bother me. Worst to me are the chain pharmacies and big box retailers like Target, but I didn't go to those places much when I lived in New England. Actually at a lot of convenience stores I go to in Pgh, the staff is amazingly friendly and helpful - and those jobs pretty much suck.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:12 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,917,434 times
Quote:
If this place is so much like everywhere else or so livable then why have so many people left over the last 50 years?
You are hilarious my friend. See people on this forum are critical of Pittsburgh. They make a legitimate argument. You just sound plain silly. Seriously.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:26 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
I've never noticed a difference with service for the worst here. You do a lot of complaining about this area for someone that was so excited to come here.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:31 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,685 times
I want to add that the indifferent and lazy attitude unique to Pittsburgh is partof the fabric of this region. The Steelworkers and Coal Miners of Western PA had the Life of Riley. Now their ancestors expect a free hand out also. It is in their blood, if that makes any sense. In other cities, it is and always has been an attitude of putting your nose to the grindstone and getting it done, unlike here.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:34 AM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
You are hilarious my friend. See people on this forum are critical of Pittsburgh. They make a legitimate argument. You just sound plain silly. Seriously.
Its the truth. I want to see it change but, i just dont see it happening anytime soon. I have ideas but im not in position of power to implement them.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:51 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
Can't understand why it takes so long for anything to get done in these fields. I see so many folks with a "I hate this job"look tothem.
I never had such feelings felt before on such consistent basis until I Moved here.

I don't see it like this at all.

Sure, there are some clerks out there with bad attitudes and some stores which really don't enforce the ideology that the customer is king to their staff.

But to blanket the whole area with this observation, I just don't see it.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:58 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
I want to add that the indifferent and lazy attitude unique to Pittsburgh is partof the fabric of this region. The Steelworkers and Coal Miners of Western PA had the Life of Riley. Now their ancestors expect a free hand out also. It is in their blood, if that makes any sense. In other cities, it is and always has been an attitude of putting your nose to the grindstone and getting it done, unlike here.
That is ridiculous. I don't think lazy, indifferent, and entitled can ever be used to describe Pittsburgh and Western Pa as a whole.

Then again, maybe you were being sarcastic and I am just missing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh