Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 09:20 PM

25 posts, read 71,570 times

Advertisements

what are the best grocery stores in town? i know about whole foods and trader joes, they're reliable, but what are the other good markets (in buildings) and farmer's markets (informal) in the city of pittsburgh or maybe a mile or two beyond?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 09:39 PM

101 posts, read 352,686 times
Check out the Strip District. I like Wholey's (meat), Stan's Market (fruits & vegetables), and Pennsylvania Macaroni Co. (pasta) the best. Whatever you don't find there, the Giant Eagle Market District in Shadyside is a good place to go, though a little overpriced on some items.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:27 AM

70 posts, read 172,480 times
i didnt relocate yet, i am in the phase of doing so, yet my heavy resaerches indicate that Giant Eagles is among the top rated u can ultimatly find everything there thats a huge advantage for those who want to grab their needs on busy days at least for the first few months till u get to know pitt like the palm of ur hand

Old 11-22-2007, 03:27 PM

237 posts, read 858,152 times
Giant Eagle may have a lot, especially at its bigger stores. But it is fairly expensive. And I find their smaller stores lacking in many products I use.

It isn't for everyone, but I like the Shur-Save in Bloomfield. It has cleaned up a lot since its days as a Foodland. And compared to GEs of the same size, it has many products I'd prefer that those GEs don't have. I also like it because it is an independant business, not a corporate chain (independantly owned and use this certain distributor - they don't even have to use the Shur-Save name if they don't want.) There is nothing like a good family owned grocery store - the owner is truly part of the community.

The Shop & Save in the plaza out Butler St. is pretty huge and has a lot of good choices and deals. However, for some reason, it just never clicked with me (it may be that I internally compare it to the S & S I grew up with, which couldn't be beat, so it just doesn't live up, subconciously.)

Old 11-22-2007, 04:27 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,943,650 times
I second the Strip District on a Saturday morning shopping trip. Great assortment of locally-owned stores with stuff that's fresh and can't be found anywhere else.

Old 11-23-2007, 01:50 PM

76 posts, read 273,406 times
I recommend the Strip District on a WEEKDAY. Saturday mornings are for tourists. Fun, but the serious shoppers know that weekdays are better.
Yes, there are Giant Eagles that are franchised and not run by corporate headquarters. Selection and quality vary greatly. The "Market District' GEs have great selections but not always the best prices.
There are a few Kuhn's grocery stores that have better prices than GE.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:37 PM

84 posts, read 410,471 times
I love the East End Co-Op, I shop there so much. They have really good prices and special membership days, and I buy a lot of stuff there. Plus, if you move away from the city, the Co-Op will buy back your membership that you bought.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:40 PM

27 posts, read 143,541 times
For quality the only place you need to know is Wholey's. Giant Eagle's are expensive but if they still do the gas rebate thing with advantage cards then it more than makes up for it IMO.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:27 PM

255 posts, read 1,091,596 times
Thumbs up East End Food Co-op

I second the East End Food Co-op, especially if you're buying ingredients to make your food yourself.

They have really great prices on bulk ingredients and the produce is locally grown and not too expensive.

Check it out!

It's on Meade St. just off of North Braddock in Point Breeze.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:55 PM

25 posts, read 71,570 times
hey all, thanks for the leads!

East End Food Co-op looks awesome, and they run a credit union too... my kind of establishment.
East End Food Co-op - Pittsburgh, PA: A member-owned store and vegetarian cafe for organic, natural foods

wholey's has got my attention also...
welcome to the market

just sold their wholesale division though...
New owners of Wholey's might be fishing for accounts - Pittsburgh Business Times:

anybody want to humor me and type up a representative receipt from one of these places for me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh