Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 07:11 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,378,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
1. South Shore
2. Chateau
3. North Shore
4. Strip District
5. Central Business District
6. West End
7. Allegheny Center
8. East Allegheny
9. Esplen
10. South Side Flats

Read more: More ridiculousness from our local media
Here's my list (based on no stats)
1) Homewood South
2) Homewood North (the reason this is not a tie is because the section of Homewood past Blackadore is no worse than Southwest Penn Hills)
3) Bedford Dwellings
4)Terrace Village (in early 2012 Terrace Village had both Elmore Sq & Bentley Dr)
5) Middle Hill
6) Northview Heights (position fell due to the safe portion outside of the projects)
7) Lincoln-Lemington-Belmar
8) Larimer
9) Beltzhoover
10) Homewood West (position fell due to small size and culture of violence being less horrific than the rest of Homewood)

Runners Up
11) East Hills (stock fell because there are safe parts in East Hills and even the projects have a lesser culture of violence since their renovations)
12) Knoxville (position fell because Southern Knoxville is notably less dangerous than Northern Knoxville)
13) Hazelwood
14) Garfield
15) Perry Hilltop

This list isn't based on homicides, robberies, or violent crime per capita, but this list (without crime stats) depicts a more realistic top 10 "Most Dangerous" list. In addition this list only comprises technical neighborhoods and factors in safe sections. IMO the general safety and culture of violence determines the danger of a neighborhood. This culture has visible implications ie. robberies an assaults in the South Side or Downtown don't end in murder. This list may have direct correlation to gang activity and the more violent local criminal organizations are, but it does not have pure causation as wouldn't make the list.
Long story short this list is the statistically most dangerous areas as they are highest in recorded crime. However my list (or anyone else for the matter who thinks around a similar train) depicts the more dangerous list in reality.

The only doubt or opposition to this statement I can see is "why isn't Esplen on your list" and that "stats matter plus your discounting the stats that affect the average people for those that affect drug dealers and gang members".

1) Besides an incident with the Pagans during the EARLY 2000's, the qualitative risk and culture of violence for residents and any person traveling true Esplen is minor compared to that of even Garfield or Perry Hilltop (let alone Homewood South and such). Due to its qualitative risk and culture of violence, Homewood South logically has a greater danger factor than Esplen; in spite of Esplen having a more quantitative risk and high recorded crime. Esplen not making this rationally top 10 danger list has no direct causation to gangs and race (or in this case, the lack there of).

2) Stats can add or detract from a category depending on how one contorts and construes them. For example, a list based of violent crime opposed to total crime would produce different results; this ranking would include Shadyside, Carrick, East Liberty and Bloomfield higher than Homewood North, Bedford Dwellings, Lincoln, Beltzhoover, etc. However, in reality Shadyside's most high crime street (where robbery, theft, and possibly burglary often occurs) simply does not compare to old Terrace Village's most high crime street (Elmore Square where shootings, aggravated assaults, rapes, homicides occurred in abundance during 12 months)... Which brings me to my point: that stats (as a result of construsion) have no real world rational and logic. Shadyside/Bloomfield/Carrick/South Shore/South Side Flats/Chateau's worst streets are truly less dangerous than Race Street, Kelly Street, Mohler Street, Bedford Ave, Chauncey Drive, Bracey Drive, Bellue Street, Rhine Street, Mt. Pleasant Road, etc which you always hear on the news. If Kelly Street or Bedford Ave are less dangerous/have a lesser risk for crime than E. or W. Carson Street or for the average person (due to city's neighborhood annual police reports for 2012) than try it out on a Saturday night.
Tourist/commerce/venue/high employ population factors &/or pedestrian/high non resident population of walkers and bikers factor > reported crime than small sized ghetto because it has both less residents living in the area and fewer businesses as well as fewer non-residents traveling/frequenting the area. Plus you try calling the police on the neighbor twice your size that stole your bike. In 2006 in Westinghouse Park I sure as hell didn't. Long story short in the hood lesser crime is reported do to risk of being deemed a "snitch". Example: Arlington Heights didn't have just 19 violent crimes! I'll bet you any money more went on unreported.
These shootings and homicides really do have some real world relevance to perspective danger/risk of a neighborhood simply because they reflect a certain aspect of the area. Even though shootings and murders are often motivated by gangs/drugs/personal-peer retaliation- which average people don't have involvement in, they are testaments to how bad the culture of violence is. Also crime during the previous years plays apart in measuring crime in one year, which is a whole nother post...
-BTW (escaton I'm not in disagreement with your post... My argument is that those neighborhoods don't depict danger even though they're highest in total crime though stats... Because one overlooks outside factors and variables like probability/risk being a victim and tenor/relevance of culture of violence with statistics)

The news reporting news is nothing wrong. Although just because the average Joe does not listen correctly and/or inquire behind the stats, it will portray that Carrick is as bad as Homewood or will discount that Downtown & the South Side high in crime but are the neighborhoods that have the most visitors. So whats ridiculousness is that people portraying Carrick and the South Side Flats as top 5 most dangerous due to burglary and theft when 3 year olds- to grandmothers are getting shot in other parts of the city. While at the same time people will slander Esplen which has fewer murders so far this millennium than several neighborhoods in 48 months!

In addtion if you look at un-official sections here's how it'd be
Top 10 most dangerous parts of the city since 2010
1 & 2) Bedford dwelling Hosing Projects @ Chauncey Drive & Homewood North Housing Projects
3) Northview Heights Estates Housing Projects
4) Homewood proper exclding the Bruston Hilltop
5) the core of the Hill District
6) East Hills Apartments including Maple Ridge & Park Hill
7) Allegheny Dwellings Hosing Projects
8) Lincoln-Lemington excluding the Broadcrest Drive area
9) Larimer
10) Bellzhoover/Upper Knoxville & Mattews Avenue

Runners Up
the core of Hazelwood (south of Hazelwood Avenue, west of the woods including Glen Hazel Heights Housing Projects but exclusing East Elizebeth to Manison Street and "Glenwood")
Garfield- north of broad south of the Garfield Commons Mixed-Incime Apartement/Townhomes
Three Rivers Manor Apartments, Spring Hill-City View
Charles Street Valley/"Snapville""/Perrysville" from North Charles Street to Hawkins Street, Perry Hilltop
Mountain-View Apartments aka Green Way Park Apartments or Crafton Twonhomes, Crafton Heights

@ I _Like_Spam Allenown wast of Arlington Ave is literally the next (number 16) on the both list. Sheraden due to its livablity in some of its sections lowers it in the first list, while "East Sheraden" is ranked 23 after: (16) Allentown/Arlington Heights, (17) the Bruston Hillto/Oakwood St-Bricelyn St-Singer Pl-Seagirt St section of East Hills, (18) "Cal-bride Place" in Cali-Kirk, (19) East Liberty Gardens (20) western end of Arlington (21) Most of Marshall-Shadeland/most of Perry Hilltop/Upper Manchester, and (22) Allegheny Commons East/Garfield Commons/Bedford Hills @ Memory Lane Mixed-Income Apts. Yet I can see why you would mention it (its had nine homicides since 2007, but homicides/shootings are on a downward spiral since 2011)

Last edited by Uptown kid; 11-12-2013 at 08:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 07:18 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,917,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Is everyone okay? I didn't realize it was so bad. Of course the word snow would always be the same as bad around here. Goodness, what an odd place. That is one thing I do HATE about our region. Always labeling winter as bad. Believe it or not there are a few people that really enjoy winter. I know it is about 1%, but we do exist. How about the rest of you move to Florida and leave those of us that like seasons alone.
I actually think our winter is bad compared to most major US cities with the exception of Minneapolis, Cleveland, and Buffalo. The city and townships near the rivers get significantly less than the majority of the metro, but that's beside the point.

But the media loves this s***. Its really sad how they make 2.4 inches, shorter than your thumb, a headline.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:20 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post

This list isn't based on homicides, robberies, or violent crime per capita, but this list (without crime stats) depicts a more realistic top 10 "Most Dangerous" list. In addition this list only comprises technical neighborhoods and factors in safe sections. IMO the general safety and culture of violence determines the danger of a neighborhood. This culture has visible implications ie. robberies an assaults in the South Side or Downtown don't end in murder. This list may have direct correlation to gang activity and the more violent local criminal organizations are, but it does not have pure causation as wouldn't make the list.

I'm surprised that neither Sheraden nor Allentown made your list.

BTW, I thought that Northview Heights was the projects, the areas south of the actual projects is City View.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:25 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
First Snowfall Creates Traffic Slowdowns, Causes Some Accidents « CBS Pittsburgh

Snowiest November 12th in Pittsburgh history!!!!!

Is anyone even dug out yet????

UGH seriously. It was nice waking up to a little snow. Local news seriously.... 2.4" is NOTHING.
After all, breaking a snowfall record is so hard to do if it snows this time of year. I agree too, it looked really nice outside this morning driving around.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:00 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
Downtown has a pretty bad area. The entire run of Smithfield Street to Liberty Ave down to the Wood Street Subway Station / Old Clark building is the worst. The drug deals, prostitution, fighting, begging that goes on there is mind boggling. There have been a few shootings that occurred in front of the wood street subway station. I bet it will be a zoo around there for light up night. I think the last two light up nights and fourth of julys there have had shootings in that same area. Thanks but no thanks I won't be anywhere near downtown for light up night.

I feel bad for the port authority cop that has to patrol the wood street station. They have their hands full.

I am downtown 5 days a week, and for most major events on the weekends, and I have never seen a prostitute downtown. This could 100% be my fault though, as I am 1. not looking for prostitutes, and 2. would be expecting them to look like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman. All I ever see is huddled masses waiting for their busses and smoking cigs.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:27 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
I too have never seen a single prostitute downtown and I am down there a few times a month (sometimes more). Now Brownsville Road on the other hand....

Old 11-13-2013, 08:54 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I too have never seen a single prostitute downtown and I am down there a few times a month (sometimes more). Now Brownsville Road on the other hand....
When I was a kid Liberty Ave was filled with them. Late 70's early mid 80's. Believe me, it is totally different than back then. They are still around here and there, but nothing like a few decades ago.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:33 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,965,362 times
I used to see prostitutes downtown in the 70s and 80s. Liberty and Penn avenues were women and Mellon Square was men. It's all gone now thanks to Mr. Internet and the Cultural District.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:07 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Mr. Internet and the Cultural District.
You have to admit their first album was good, though.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:10 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,965,362 times
You're killing me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh