Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 01:46 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,901 times

Advertisements

I was passing on penn ave by penn circle W and I saw a coming soon sign at that corner. anyone else see this?

I know that the land in front of the Monroe tire place between negley and penn ave will be a mix project housing. so im happy this is coming. I miss SF/NYC Chinatowns to be honest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 10:03 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,254 times
There was another thread that discussed the activity on the south side of Penn Ave near Negley. I'm happy to see that parcel of land be converted into something more useful than empty concrete and I have no doubt the apartments will be grabbed up pretty quickly. The retail establishments on the north side have had trouble getting tenants for whatever reason, but the signs for the Thai place and the "sub shop" show some promise that the situation will change, however gradually.

Outside of two buildings and one restaurant downtown, Pittsburgh doesn't have a Chinatown of any type, but there is no shortage of noodle shops and east Asian restaurants of all types. If you're looking for Thai restaurants in town now, there are plenty of them, but you won't find them in any ethnic enclaves.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:20 PM

all I know is that the land at negley and penn by the Monroe brakes will be a low income housing/mixed use housing similar to the pennley place across the street.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:36 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,496 times
I haven't heard anything about penn and negley - that parcel is owned by Monroe muffler. They also own the little upmc building.

I think that whole site will be done at once.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
I haven't heard anything about penn and negley - that parcel is owned by Monroe muffler. They also own the little upmc building.

I think that whole site will be done at once.
do you know what is going on with that bus stop/station across the target in east liberty? it looks like they just fenced it off. what was that? I assume a hub for the buses so what will it be turned into?

Old 11-15-2013, 05:13 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
do you know what is going on with that bus stop/station across the target in east liberty? it looks like they just fenced it off. what was that? I assume a hub for the buses so what will it be turned into?
East Liberty Transit Center/TOD

Old 11-15-2013, 06:09 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post

there will be a number of improvements to the busway at that location, including bike parking. shady avenue will be affected by this. i believe its getting a dedicated bike lane.

what a beautiful neighborhood.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:08 AM

There currently aren't any Thai restaurants in East Liberty. There is the Smiling Banana Leaf on Bryant in Highland Park and Noodlehead on S Highland in Shadyside. Both are very different from one another, but delicious.

The place you saw the sign - Penn at Penn Circle W - might not be the future location of that restaurant. They are scoping other locations in East Liberty too from what I've heard. It isn't finalized.

Chris Briem posted this yesterday with links to old and new articles:
Nullspace: East Liberty bohème

And this was in the Biz Times this week:
Great Harvest Bread Co. coming to Village of East Side - Pittsburgh Business Times

The residential sales market has been interesting because there have been a number of "livable but not nice" and "nice but not fancy" houses that have been listed and sold pretty quickly in East Liberty - all in the $100,000-225,000 range. That plus about 2 dozen gut renovations between Penn Circle North and Wellesley Ave along with sales in the 300's and 400's is impressive.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:25 AM

248 posts, read 326,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
That plus about 2 dozen gut renovations between Penn Circle North and Wellesley Ave along with sales in the 300's and 400's is impressive.
So those have actually been selling at 300+? I still get new MLS listings and every time I see a $400,000 renovation around Stanton Ave. I think "there's no way they'll get that price". Reasonably updated large houses a block from the actual park are still selling for around that much.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoh View Post
So those have actually been selling at 300+? I still get new MLS listings and every time I see a $400,000 renovation around Stanton Ave. I think "there's no way they'll get that price". Reasonably updated large houses a block from the actual park are still selling for around that much.
over 300k sold recently or under contract near Stanton Ave

There's also one on Mellon that has a contingency offer and it is listed near 400k, but still listed as being active.

Over 300k - Under contract or Sold recently near the Park:

Most around Stanton that have sold in that range are all totally re-done and have new everything. New roof, electric, plumbing, hvac, kitchen, baths, floors, windows, etc. Most of them near the park except for a few on Grafton that are 500k flips have old everything. Heberton for example has a well used 30 year old kitchen, lots of wall paper, lots of old carpeting, old windows, old bathrooms, etc. It is a great house on what most would call the best block in HP, but it needs some love. I'd easily put 150k into it if it were my house. There aren't many reasonably updated near the park that are selling in the 300's. Prices in Highland Park and East Liberty have jumped majorly in the past 3 years. A 6 BR - 1.5 bath house with no parking on Portland near Bryant (halfway between Stanton and the Park) sold for 290k this past summer. Great block, very solid house, but not really updated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh