Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 09:28 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times

Advertisements

That was the brand we always had back in the day. Seems they were bought out, but I don't know the story much. Anyone know? This is probably a long shot, but I thought I would ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 12:13 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
That was the brand we always had back in the day. Seems they were bought out, but I don't know the story much. Anyone know? This is probably a long shot, but I thought I would ask.
Lugar meats were bought out by Hatfield. Hubby is a square jumbo fan, and I buy 10 pounds to freeze for the flight home.... I get it at Giant Eagle, but years past Mom bought it at Kuhn's.

Just asked for a braunschweiger sandwich at my local deli.... they gave me liverwurst. Yuck. Could have sworn they had the real stuff....

Old 11-15-2013, 12:54 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,617 times
For the record, it is Luger, with an e. They made an excellent braunsweiger. They also made an excellent square bologna. Andrew Zimmern's Bizzare Foods Pittsburgh just aired the other day. One of the places visited was Silver Star Meats in Mckees Rocks. They showed how braunsweiger is made. The best way to eat it is on rye bread, raw onion, and dark or deli mustard. It is an acquired taste and not something you eat every day. Yet, is rather enjoyable on occasion.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:07 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
For the record, it is Luger, with an e. They made an excellent braunsweiger. They also made an excellent square bologna. Andrew Zimmern's Bizzare Foods Pittsburgh just aired the other day. One of the places visited was Silver Star Meats in Mckees Rocks. They showed how braunsweiger is made. The best way to eat it is on rye bread, raw onion, and dark or deli mustard. It is an acquired taste and not something you eat every day. Yet, is rather enjoyable on occasion.
That's how mom ate it..... but I eat it on good white bread (my homemade!) with lots of Best Foods (Hellman's) mayo. Not very often can I say I disappointed my mother.... but my braunschweiger choices surely did.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:16 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
Not a fan of Silver Star and I did see that episode. Yes, with an "e", thanks. Maybe a mod can change it incase someone does a search? Not that many would remember such a thing, but I just remember it being quite good. Anyone have a favorite braunsweiger brand? Small batches perhaps?

Old 11-16-2013, 09:53 AM

706 posts, read 1,048,617 times
Boars Head makes a decent one. After all, they have had bronchorsts since 1902. What that means I do not know. That is what it it says on their trucks. I have bought one pound chunks in cryovac from Sugardale and Kahns for an inexpensive $2.99. They were both decent. If sliced, it needs to be about a quarter to half inch thick from the deli clerk. Other wise, it will be too hard to slice. All lunch meats taste better fresh. Braunschweiger epitomizes this. I only like to buy enough for a sandwich or two when I get the craving because it is a very strong flavor and not like your every day ham sandwich. For me, it is just a once a month thing or less. Maybe some others can eat it daily. Max's Allegheny Tavern has it on the menu and it is a popular item along with other German specialties. Max's Bavarian Club, has braunsweiger on rye, with bacon, hard boiled egg, bermuda onion, spinach, tomato and special dressing. It was created by Max himself back around the turn of the 20th Century.

Last edited by Gee Whiz; 11-16-2013 at 10:06 AM..

Old 04-09-2015, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 6,748 times
Default lugers braunschweiger

I grew up in Beaver, Pa., and Ruth Luger was on of my mother's bridge players. she WOULD BRING A TUBE OF BRAUNSCHWEIGER EVERY TIME SHE CAME. and oh was it good. We had it on seeded rye bread with dark mustard. Bread was from Kretschmeir's bakery. I haven't had any Luger's in about 55 years, but I can still remember the smell and the taste. I buy Boars head liverwurst at Kroger, but it is not the same. close, but no cigar.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:05 PM

14 posts, read 18,474 times
I haven't been able to find Hatfield Braunswauger in my area, Irwin. The closest thing I've found to it is Sugardale Braunswauger in the packaged deli meat section in Walmart or Shop and Save. Husband and I loved that and also square jumbo. (You only know it as jumbo if you are from Pittsburgh!) I recently got Kretchmar Braunswauger and it's no where near Luger.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:08 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,090 times
I've had the Max's Allegheny Tavern braunschweiger sandwich, I liked it but can't get past the red dressing they put on it, it's too overpowering.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:49 AM

645 posts, read 1,539,240 times
A bit off topic, but my brother worked for "old man Lugar", and boy did they do any kind of meat right; esp smoked meats, and true top quality briskets. I've never had brisket anywhere that was as good. Also when you think of a place that you could literally eat off the floor, this was the place - Full wash-down with hot bleach everyday, all equipment, no BS.

A great joy I had when in the area with my daughter, was to buy Lugar square jumbo, and Chip-Chop with her. I told her all you ever had to say was "Gimme a paahnd of Chip-Chop/Lugar square" at the deli, with nothing more need be said... Always sliced perfectly, then wash it down with an ice cold lemon blend. I have had bologna from everywhere, even overseas, and still have never had better than orig Lugar square. The taste, texture, and "snap"... Damn was it good, as was the pimento/olive style too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh