Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2013, 07:25 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,895,327 times

Advertisements

honestly this thread wouldnt be this big had OP not be so...resentful to those who dont agree with her view and say the rest of us are less intelligent.

i will bite my tongue and not argue but that condescending tone is one of many i feel is not needed.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:19 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,741,534 times
Most people outside of PA and NE Ohio don't know what Giant Eagle is, and most people outside of the DC area have no idea what Giant is either. Regional chains are exactly that, regional. More people know of Publix I think because they have relatives in Florida that they visit or they go there to the beach on vacay, stay in a rental and go grocery shopping there.

Safeway is entirely different, they have a large footprint and are located in many areas of the US, they are not regional. Same for Trader Joe's and Whole Foods.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:42 AM

22,273 posts, read 47,206,238 times
Without reading all the pages of posts:

Giant Eagle never uses the initials to identify itself.

General Electric often does.
It's logo is the letters GE.
It's NYSE ticker code is GE.
Advertising included "GE - we bring good thing to light."
etc

It is not odd that seeing GE in a title makes people think of General Electric. After all, THEY are the company that uses those letters.

And it is silly of the OP to argue that ad nauseum.... must be a slow day there.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:43 AM

632 posts, read 1,066,725 times
Yeahhhhh! Round 2 lets go!!!

Old 11-22-2013, 08:45 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,528,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Most people outside of PA and NE Ohio don't know what Giant Eagle is, and most people outside of the DC area have no idea what Giant is either.
Giant Eagle is now in central Ohio. It bought out Big Bear, because large animals.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:53 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,741,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Giant Eagle is now in central Ohio. It bought out Big Bear, because large animals.
Big Bear? lol. Was that really a store, wonder if they copied the name idea from Giant Eagle.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:01 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,852,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Without reading all the pages of posts:

Giant Eagle never uses the initials to identify itself.

General Electric often does.
It's logo is the letters GE.
It's NYSE ticker code is GE.
Advertising included "GE - we bring good thing to light."
etc

It is not odd that seeing GE in a title makes people think of General Electric. After all, THEY are the company that uses those letters.

And it is silly of the OP to argue that ad nauseum.... must be a slow day there.
OMG LET IT GO PEOPLE! : smack: You can't figure out GE could also mean Giant Eagle in Pittsburgh based forum that's your problem..Stop derailing my thread with this General Electric CRAP!

It had nothing to with Identity or Branding....One last time... I'm a person who uses Acronyms as common place. GE is the acronym for Giant Eagle and a whole host of other companies I'm sure. General Electric doesn't have OWNERSHIP of G.E. they just branded themselves around the acronym. What has me upset is a whole thread continues to be derailed by a few people can't get over GE being used to identify a brand other than General Electric. It really is stupid, sorry if that sounds off putting, condescending or passive aggressive, whatever! but seriously stop derailing thread with this Garbage.

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 11-22-2013 at 09:21 AM..

Old 11-22-2013, 09:25 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,543,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
OMG LET IT GO PEOPLE! : smack: You can't figure out GE could also mean Giant Eagle in Pittsburgh based forum that's your problem..Stop derailing my thread with this General Electric CRAP!
It just flies in the face of reality. If YOU can't be bothered to recognize that GE is one of the few largest companies in the world and has gone by those letters in worldwide advertising for 30 years, and because of that of course GE would be the first company to come to people's mind in ANY forum if you write the letters GE in reference to a company, that is in fact YOUR problem.

We will all get over it when you stop trying to pin your problem on us.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:33 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,852,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
It just flies in the face of reality. If YOU can't be bothered to recognize that GE is one of the few largest companies in the world and has gone by those letters in worldwide advertising for 30 years, and because of that of course GE would be the first company to come to people's mind in ANY forum if you write the letters GE in reference to a company, that is in fact YOUR problem.

You argument is irrelevant..... because again... It is the PROPER USE of an Acronym for Giant Eagle. this has nothing to do with General Electric. If you thought General Electric when first seeing the title fine! But why the need to derail thread because of a slight confusion.. Again GE is the proper use of an acronym for Giant Eagle. I use Acronyms

This is YOUR PROBLEM Not Mine. That's Reality... I really can't believe an innocent thread informing people of GE's (excuse me Giant Eagle) intent on locating downtown has turn into a Flame fest over once again THE PROPER USE OF AN ACRONYM.

Quote:
An acronym is an abbreviation formed from the initial components in a phrase or a word. These components may be individual letters (as in laser) or parts of words (as in Benelux and Ameslan). There is no universal agreement on the precise definition of various names for such abbreviations (see nomenclature) nor on written usage (see orthographic styling). In English and most other languages, such abbreviations historically had limited use, but they became much more common in the 20th century. Acronyms are a type of word formation process, and they are viewed as a subtype of blending.

Acronym - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-22-2013, 09:41 AM

22,273 posts, read 47,206,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post

Exactly! But the OP will never, ever understand (or admit) that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh