Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 03:43 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
...and yet you people that complain so much still live here. Try San Diego, sunny all the time.
Uh, San Diego is NOT sunny all the time. Not by a long shot. Often times the marine layer doesn't burn off until well into the afternoon during the winter, if at all. The water's also cold there year-round. I've come to the conclusion that the only place in the United States that can truly be classified as being sunny all the time, would be south Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 04:19 PM

419 posts, read 551,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
Uh, San Diego is NOT sunny all the time. Not by a long shot. Often times the marine layer doesn't burn off until well into the afternoon during the winter, if at all. The water's also cold there year-round. I've come to the conclusion that the only place in the United States that can truly be classified as being sunny all the time, would be south Florida.
All I know is that San Diego is WAY sunnier than here. That is all that matters.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:38 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,435 times
Quote:
Water cold in San Diego? Really? Never swam there, but have in LA. It was fine. Here's some hopefully reliable stats:

La Jolla Cove Water Temperature (Sea) and Wetsuit Guide (CAL - San Diego County, USA)

This is certainly not tropical bath water, but is pretty much the same as Sydney, Australia. And I've never heard an Aussie call Sydney sea temperatures cold all year round. I'd say San Diego summer water temps are perfectly pleasant.

I think you'd also find there's a few deserty places in the US that are really sunny all the time. Just a few ... and I suspect the eternally 28yo dude from pgh would love San Diego. Hell, who wouldn't, it's a beautiful place. Expensive, crazy traffic, but beautiful. It even has Antipodean eucalyptus trees, which makes me feel at home.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
Water cold in San Diego? Really? Never swam there, but have in LA. It was fine. Here's some hopefully reliable stats:

La Jolla Cove Water Temperature (Sea) and Wetsuit Guide (CAL - San Diego County, USA)
It's pretty cold. I lived there, and outside of the summer months the vast majority of the people you'd see in the water were surfers. Even in the summer, the water was much cooler than what you'd expect to find on the east coast anywhere. Weather aside, I wouldn't wanna spend too much time in the water off the coast of Socal anywhere. Some naaaaasty **** in that water.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
All I know is that San Diego is WAY sunnier than here. That is all that matters.
It really, really, REALLY depends on where you are there. The San Diego area is chalk full of micro climates. If you're close to the coast, the marine layer can become rather monotonous during the winter months. I remember a 3 week period when I lived there where we had a "Pittsburgh sky" with weird drizzle / mist almost nonstop. During that same time however, a 30 minute drive was all it took to get away from it and into some sunshine.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:11 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
Southern California sunnier than a city in the northeast? What a shocker! Now that is a big revelation!

Old 11-29-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
Southern California sunnier than a city in the northeast? What a shocker! Now that is a big revelation!
I know, the dude de la burgh of eternally 28 year oldness is full of deep insights.

I didn't realize the sea fog extended as far as San Diego. I've seen the same thing all the way up the west coast. One memorable day we started a jet boat trip at the mouth of the Rogue River in mid August, in 58F and low cold fog. 2 miles upriver it was 90 degrees with black bears wandering the river banks. Amazing climate ...

Old 11-29-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
I didn't realize the sea fog extended as far as San Diego.
Yup. It's pretty common there.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Yup. It's pretty common there.
cool water, warm land. It happens, I guess.

Looking like another beautiful sunny winter morning in Pittsburgh

Old 11-30-2013, 06:59 AM

632 posts, read 1,070,883 times
I hope for copious amounts of snow, coupled with nothing but bluebird skies and zero wind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh