Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 07:37 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
Thanks! My fiance need to just go check it out one of these days, see if it'd be up our alley. It certainly seems to fit in with my current obsession with old streetcar suburbs outside of the East End.

I'd suggest picking up some meat from Tom Friday's and hitting the coffee shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
By a hair! (But, if you're going to include that place, I would also include the beer distributor that's like right next to it.)
It is officially in Ross, but it's really just a technicality. It's not walkable from anywhere in Ross, but it is walkable from Brighton Heights. Giant Eagle even calls it "Brighton Heights Giant Eagle".

Quote:
... And wait, aren't there also at least two other bars (Zangaro's and the... Brighton Inn? Something like that?) and one other beer distributor on Brighton itself? And maybe some stuff around the monument around... Davis or McClure?
Sorry, I wasn't trying to give an exhaustive list of businesses in the neighborhood; I was only trying to list the businesses that are clustered together enough that I would consider them a business district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 07:42 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post

I'd suggest picking up some meat from Tom Friday's and hitting the coffee shop.
I'm an herbivore, but the latter sounds like a plan.

If I can get a cup of coffee, a six pack, and a roll of toilet paper within a five-block walk, I'm good to go.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:45 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:

It is officially in Ross, but it's really just a technicality. It's not walkable from anywhere in Ross, but it is walkable from Brighton Heights. Giant Eagle even calls it "Brighton Heights Giant Eagle".

Actually, its very walkable from the Seville Park area of Ross on Bascom as well as the Jacks Run valley.

Years ago, I believe that Giant Eagle labeled the store as the "Bellevue" Giant Eagle which is just on the other side of Jacks Run in that valley.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:46 PM

15 posts, read 21,379 times
I understand. If you change your mind between now and the Tour in June, let me know.

I'm glad that you're joining the Federation. We can use people with your enthusiasm for the neighborhood.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:51 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,242,702 times
thx for the photos - really interesting for a newbie. Think I've rode my bike around parts of there, but I was following a mob, so mostly had no idea where I was. Thx again ... truly informative.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Actually, its very walkable from the Seville Park area of Ross on Bascom as well as the Jacks Run valley.

Years ago, I believe that Giant Eagle labeled the store as the "Bellevue" Giant Eagle which is just on the other side of Jacks Run in that valley.
Neither of those roads have sidewalks leading up to the Giant Eagle, and are pretty pedestrian unfriendly if you ask me. If there are people from Ross or Bellevue who walk those roads to get to that Giant Eagle, then more power to them, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:25 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,100,231 times
The old Big Cat Pat's is now Zangaroos (there was a Zangaroos many years ago, this is a revival I guess) then next to that is Jimmy Z's/Brighton Inn. The beer distributor is Kelly's (the other in valley is the Shadeland distributor that actually was on Shadeland when I was a kid) and then there's Miller's Seafood on California, classic dive bar/restaurant. Where McLure meets Woods Run there is a small bar called Young Bros.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
The old Big Cat Pat's is now Zangaroos (there was a Zangaroos many years ago, this is a revival I guess) then next to that is Jimmy Z's/Brighton Inn. The beer distributor is Kelly's (the other in valley is the Shadeland distributor that actually was on Shadeland when I was a kid) and then there's Miller's Seafood on California, classic dive bar/restaurant. Where McLure meets Woods Run there is a small bar called Young Bros.
Are you a fan of any of these bars? Are they all smoking establishments? Miller's is somewhat of a guilty pleasure of mine; it could really be so much better than it is.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:16 AM

733 posts, read 986,701 times
Quote:
Neither of those roads have sidewalks leading up to the Giant Eagle, and are pretty pedestrian unfriendly if you ask me. If there are people from Ross or Bellevue who walk those roads to get to that Giant Eagle, then more power to them, but I wouldn't recommend it.
One time I was driving up that crazy hill that Brighton Rd. becomes once you pass GE and the beer/Uhaul place, and there was a dude walking it carrying grocery bags.

It terrified me to even witness, haha.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:18 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,100,231 times
ferraris, I am not a regular, I've been to them all and IIRC they are ALL still smoking bars. I haven't been to Zangaroos since Big Cat Pat's closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh