Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2014, 07:40 PM

338 posts, read 446,686 times

Advertisements

Cool he got the money but Braddock is kind of ridiculous. Out of the way to be honest. If he wanted to do something like this he should have picked Millvale or the Northside or the West End Village. Somewhere a project like this could really have an impact to an area trying to improve. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 07:46 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
very interesting. what is also interesting is the makeup of vehicles in the lot of the edgar thompson plant. A lot more Ohio plates than I expected to see when I was there last year.
I am pretty surprised at the number of Ohio plates I follow to and from work. It's not huge but is well represented. Most people I know around here think my commute is long, and I don't think any of them could get to Ohio without it being another half an hour more.

But then I suspect many of them looked for work and found it here, perhaps farther than they would rather go. The number who have truly chosen to live in Ohio while already having an established job here is still likely to be pretty small.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:36 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatty5011 View Post
Cool he got the money but Braddock is kind of ridiculous. Out of the way to be honest. If he wanted to do something like this he should have picked Millvale or the Northside or the West End Village. Somewhere a project like this could really have an impact to an area trying to improve. Just my opinion.
It's essentially guaranteed that this restaurant will help Braddock for however long it is open. There's no downside to it at all for the community; indeed it's something most Braddockers(?) seem to be in favor of. From the business' side of things you are right that there are more profitable, less risky places to open up, though.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:30 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCom View Post
I guess it depends on your definition of good. In terms of housing the best areas are the ones with brand new HUD housing.
We have very different definitions. New HUD housing is crap to me. I like real homes, not new crap. Not saying you can't build nice new stuff, but it has to be $500K or more these days. You can't build a nice new home for less.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:39 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
We have very different definitions. New HUD housing is crap to me. I like real homes, not new crap. Not saying you can't build nice new stuff, but it has to be $500K or more these days. You can't build a nice new home for less.
Braddock has some beautiful old homes, many in disrepair. However, they are still better looking than the awful modern homes being constructed in Braddock, Garfield, etc., which are vinyl boxes and do not blend in with the historic character of the areas.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:42 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,007,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatty5011 View Post
Out of the way for whom? Many people have no trouble making it to the Waterfront, and Braddock isn't far.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:41 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
Braddock has some beautiful old homes, many in disrepair. However, they are still better looking than the awful modern homes being constructed in Braddock, Garfield, etc., which are vinyl boxes and do not blend in with the historic character of the areas.
Preach it, sister! Those new homes in Garfield look like absolute trash, especially when contrasted against the historic homes that still remain.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:50 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Preach it, sister! Those new homes in Garfield look like absolute trash, especially when contrasted against the historic homes that still remain.
I say vinyl boxes are fine if they're painted a pretty color. Why the hell do they all have to be so dreary? But yes, they look totally out of place in the neighborhood.

Good for Kevin Sousa and good for Braddock. Ethical entrepreneurship is a helluva thing.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:24 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
To play devil's advocate, the "vinyl boxes" are at least inhabited and serving their purpose as housing. With a town in Braddock's economic condition I think attracting people may be seen as more vital to the citizens than keeping old uninhabited houses standing.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:29 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I must admit I'm thrilled that Mr. Sousa was able to pull this off, and I wish him nothing but the best for his new venture! I didn't mean to be so adversarial earlier in this thread. Certain phrases, especially when said in a certain context, often convey a sense of pompousness or smugness to me, and his "those who get it, get it; those who don't, don't" quote sounded as such to me. I may have been mistaken, and if that is the case then I do apologize.

Then again smug or not I'm glad he wants to help Braddock! If my partner didn't work on the North Side I'd consider buying my first home there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh