Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 11:02 PM

268 posts, read 385,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
It's in the sidebar:
"Borough of Millvale, Bennett Station Town Square and the redevelopment of the North Avenue Corridor, $500,000
^^^

doo dah beat me to it. very telling that our faire little borough received this grant from an extremely competitive pool of applicants. between the potential hotel deal and the north avenue project, there are some interesting opportunities coming together right now that point to a brighter future for our community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 02:54 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,685 times
The key for towns like Millvale, Etna and Sharpsburg will be to keep some less than stellar individuals out of the neighborhood who bring in and/or are addicted to Heroin, Crack, and Meth. Lawrenceville is becoming more trendy like other East End neighborhoods pricing out a large amount of people. People will march across the Allegheny to the river towns on the north bank looking for cheaper housing. I respect the fact that everybody has to live somewhere, but when I see a pretty sixteen year old turn into a zombie within a year due in part to her new neighbors, it is not pleasant thing. I feel for the girl's parents.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
I respect the fact that everybody has to live somewhere, but when I see a pretty sixteen year old turn into a zombie within a year due in part to her new neighbors, it is not pleasant thing. I feel for the girl's parents.
It's not the neighbors or the environment. Individuals are responsible for their own choices. My children were exposed to all of those hard drugs, and they chose to not ruin their lives. When I say exposed, I mean seriously exposed. Many of their school friends are addicted and some are already dead. When one of my children went off to college out of state, the ROOMMATE turned out to be a heroin addict. The hard drugs are everywhere. Millvale, Sharpsburg and Etna don't have a monopoly on this problem. The other areas are better at hiding the problem. Parents need to be on top of their game. That girl you talk about would have very likely become an addict wherever she lived.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:06 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
This is good news for Millvale. Not sure how to look at it in other ways, but it seems even when there is good news people can find a way. Nothing but positive news here regardless of the silly comments.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:19 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,685 times
There is no denying that it is good news for Millvale. The comments are not as silly as you think. My brother has lived in Millvale for twelve years and he wants out because he sees a bad element. He does not want to raise his young daughter there. I know Etna and Shapsburg very well since I grew up right above them. Hopefully these towns can rebound. They each have potential.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
My brother has lived in Millvale for twelve years and he wants out because he sees a bad element. He does not want to raise his young daughter there. I know Etna and Shapsburg very well since I grew up right above them. Hopefully these towns can rebound. They each have potential.
Rebound from what? I grew up right above them too. They haven't changed in 50 years. Your brother is in for a big surprise if he thinks he can escape the bad element. These drugs are EVERYWHERE today. That's what has changed---the suburbs are filled with heavy drugs we never dared to try as kids. That's where the kids have more money to spend on drugs and often they are from two income households without much supervision until it is too late. The wrapping on the houses might look nicer, but the kids are still getting into serious drugs. The only difference is the parents have the finances to have a chance to save their children (but it's not always possible even with the best resources). Heavy parental awareness is required. Too many parents have their heads in the sand and think it isn't happening where they live. I've seen beautiful lives destroyed in some of the best families in the most affluent neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh