Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 09:26 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,705 times

Advertisements

so who was at the Def Jam show around 1985/86 when the rumors of a riot and panic took place? That is local urban legend, rumors town was barricaded by police etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 09:40 AM

288 posts, read 511,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdeaOfOrder View Post
So many shows, so little time. Recent favorites have been Dinosaur Jr @ MrSmalls 2012, HoldSteady/Titus Andronicus @ Carnegie Library Braddock 2011(?), Sonic Youth at Mr Smalls and TRAF...Neko Case has always been great, though she could have played longer opening for My Morning Jacket. First concert, back in the Dicesare&Engler days was Phil Collins at the Stanley theater. First arena concert was Journey, last was either AC/DC or Phish. The 94 HORDE concert at star lake was probably my best experience there, I really wanted to see Dave Matthews who was playing first but decided to uh, "partake" in some parking lot activities, which may or may not have contributed to that being the best Allman brothers band performance I've seen. SoulCoughing & Luscious Jackson at the MelodyTentICLightChevroletParkingLot at station square...2nd row for the Indigo Girls there was really good, the only other place I've seen people happier than when they broke into Closer to Fine were Dead shows...

Ah, the Dead shows....the "riot" shows in 89..starlake in 92...the day they summoned the rain in 95....

then there's all the countless hours at grafitti, the decade, the banana, lucianos, excuses, moondogs, thirstys, the artery, the bbt.

Biggest surprise I think was how much They Migt Be Giants rocked at Metropol. The one I'll always regret missing was Morphine. Ah, metropol...first place I saw Phish...Cowboy Junkies...best Yo La Tengo show...
The Hold Steady at the Carnegie Library was great, even though the room looked like it had been on fire recently. I got a front row seat, since there were actual seats. I've seen them a few other times as well. Drove to Ohio State to see them play on a Halloween weekend. They were so drunk it was awful and everywhere you went were totally plastered college kids half naked.

Braddock should have more shows. It's a great place for it.

I saw Genesis during their last concert in Pittsburgh at the civic arena. No opening band or anything. Just pure Phil Collins for two hours.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:31 AM

165 posts, read 262,515 times
My first concert ever was Alanis Morissette and Radiohead at Starlake in August 1996. Amazing show. The memory of that night is something I'll never forget. I was 14.

Another one that sticks out for me was Dave Matthews and Ben Harper (I think) at Three Rivers Stadium in July 2000. We were about 15 rows from the stage and it poured down rain through part of the show. There was such joy (drug induced or otherwise) radiating from everyone around us. I remember shouting the lyrics along with the band and jumping in the puddles that formed on the covered astroturf. One of the few memories of blissful happiness that I can remember.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:35 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Saw Simon & Garfunkle at Three Rivers Stadium in the early 80s with a pretty mellow crowd; Bette Midler and Cher (not together) at the Civic Arena in the mid-to-late 80s. Bette was a hoot - this was the tour with the Harlettes, and Bette as a mermaid running around in an electric wheelchair. Also saw Diana Ross at the arena in 1982.

I guess the Civic Arena was one of only two venues back then - the other was the Syria Mosque, where I saw Peter, Paul & Mary and Joni Mitchell.
Quote:

The mega concerts were at Three Rivers Stadium
Yep, saw Pink Floyd at Three rivers, mid 70's, but my most memorable concert was with out a doubt was Leon Russell (72or73), He put on a hell of a show and man that dude can tickle the Ivory.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:49 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah121 View Post

I saw Genesis during their last concert in Pittsburgh at the civic arena. No opening band or anything. Just pure Phil Collins for two hours.
Another Genesis fan!! Did you go to see Steve Hackett at the Carnegie Library Music Hall in October. He was good indeed.

That is a great venue BTW. Saw Yes there too in September, and they were magnificent. And really loud. Looking forward to some more shows there, especially now I have my own beer 'goblet'.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:49 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
my most memorable concert was with out a doubt was Leon Russell (72or73), He put on a hell of a show and man that dude can tickle the Ivory.
I saw him at Syria Mosque, IIRC...'71 or '72.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:00 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I saw him at Syria Mosque, IIRC...'71 or '72.
He must have came back soon, because I saw him at the Civic Arena, the place was packed and jammin. I still listen to him all of the time, good stuff.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:05 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
John Cougar, Civic Arena. They opened the dome to see the city. Cougar was blown away and paused mid song. He just looked at the skyline from the Arena and was in disbelief. You had to be there to even understand how amazing that was. Glad I got to experience it before the put the low income housing on that site. Sure was a great time back then. Just the name "Civic" says it all.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:21 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeigh2182 View Post
Another one that sticks out for me was Dave Matthews and Ben Harper (I think) at Three Rivers Stadium in July 2000. We were about 15 rows from the stage and it poured down rain through part of the show. There was such joy (drug induced or otherwise) radiating from everyone around us. I remember shouting the lyrics along with the band and jumping in the puddles that formed on the covered astroturf. One of the few memories of blissful happiness that I can remember.
We were concert neighbors, most likely. I was at that show also about that far back from the stage as well. I remember that as a good night. Dancing in the rain.

My first concert was Eric Clapton at the Arena, probably in 1981 or 1982. Someone mentioned the arena and haze from marijana smokers -- the concert I remember smelling the most weed was Farm Aid at Starlake. We were sitting on lawn and joked about getting high from second hand smoke.

The only way to deal with the God-awful parking lot situation at Starlake is to plan on hanging out for awhile after the concert. We used to fire the grill back up, make a midnight snack, and then leave after the crowd cleared. A friend's husband gave us back road directions once to get to Starlake and avoid traffic. I thought he was going to make us eat the paper he wrote the directions on once we looked at it, he was that serious about keeping them secret.

Last edited by Tinare; 12-12-2013 at 11:31 AM..

Old 12-12-2013, 11:54 AM

458 posts, read 656,776 times
Mine is 1997, long before I lived in Pittsburgh. I came down to see my favorite band of all time, Oasis. Oddly enough, they played the AJ Palumbo centre, while selling out much larger venues throughout the US and around the world. It had shown sold out for months, but I called the ticket office on the day of the concert, and they said they opened up seats at the last minute. I ended up in the 11th row back, most memorable concert ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh