Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 06:39 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,201,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveKendall View Post
I am so sad I missed the Syria Mosque. I have seen interior and exterior photos and it looked like an amazing place. I cannot believe it is a parking lot now.
It also must have been fantastic to see a show in the Civic Arena with the roof open.
Keep the stories coming!

I never saw a rock concert at the Mosque, but I was forced as a teenager to watch my brother play the cello for a city high school orchestra performance.

The back of the mosque was right across from the Oakland Holiday Inn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 06:44 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
When they don't bring the horns, you're usually going to get a mainly Funkadelic show. Parliament = bass and horn based funk. Funkadelic = funky guitar based rock.
Nah, they billed themselves as Parliament and played a lot of their horn-heavy staples. Just with a white hippie-dude on keyboards playing the "horns."

Old 12-12-2013, 06:51 PM

706 posts, read 1,042,995 times
Then, of course, there was that quite memorial show by The Sundays in the Spring of 1993 at Metropol. This was the tour to support their third album, Static and Silence. Harriet Wheeler and the band were brilliant, and sounded just like on the records. The sweet smell of clove cigarettes filled the air as Harriet's angelic voice bounced off the rafters. The place was jam packed three deep even on the catwalks high above. Occasionally a band with an ethereal sound and a female singer will be compared to The Sundays. Not quite. They broke up too soon.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:54 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,826,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
The sweet smell of clove cigarettes
If, by "sweet," you mean "acrid."

Old 12-12-2013, 07:02 PM

706 posts, read 1,042,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
If, by "sweet," you mean "acrid."
No, by sweet I mean pleasant. I can respect the fact that you hardly smell cloves anymore because bars will not allow them. In the 80s and into the 1990s, clove cigarettes were prevalent in places where musicians and artists and hipsters used to hang. I always liked the way they smelled and set a certain atmosphere IMHO.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:30 PM

461 posts, read 745,058 times
While we're on the subject of Pittsburgh concerts, it was neat that the World Cafe did a session on our great city yesterday as part of their Sense of Place Series: Rusted Root On World Cafe : World Cafe : NPR. Cindy Howse from XPN picked some great bands to promote!

Oh, and my first concert was John Denver at the Civic Arena, maybe in the late 70s. A lifetime later, I don't care for much country music but I do still enjoy him, RIP.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:52 AM

540 posts, read 864,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I never saw a rock concert at the Mosque, but I was forced as a teenager to watch my brother play the cello for a city high school orchestra performance.
Similar story. I was too young for rock concerts, but I did see my brother perform in CMU's Greek Sing there. His fraternity did selections from The Mikado and won the event.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:53 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,540,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveKendall View Post
I am so sad I missed the Syria Mosque. I have seen interior and exterior photos and it looked like an amazing place. I cannot believe it is a parking lot now.
It also must have been fantastic to see a show in the Civic Arena with the roof open.
Keep the stories coming!
Me too. And I mean I just missed the Syria Mosque being standing, by a few months. I moved here in November 1991.

Somehow, I don't think I made it to a Civic Arena show either. I'm straining my memory here because I have a vague memory of walking into or out of there for something, but I don't recall a concert or what else I could have gone there for. Too bad.

I've hit a few of the other deceased venues mentioned though, even though I haven't seen that many concerts here overall.

Three Rivers, 1992, U2. First (and probably last, 20 years on and still not another) large stadium show. We waited in line at the stadium overnight and got field level seats, but too far back really to be that great. Everyone stood on top of the chairs. I pretty much swore off that kind of floor level seating after that, heh.

Graffiti. That's the place I miss having actually been there. I went there I think only 3 times (should have been 4, I had a ticket but was quite ill on/around the day of the show, the band was Toad the Wet Sprocket). One other time was someone giving me a ticket and dragging me along to see Vigilantes of Love. Dramarama, heh, if anyone here knows that band I will be surprised. And, of course, the Dead Milkmen, Philly's finest. These were all in the mid-90s I guess. I miss it because I don't find there to be a good venue of that size and scope in town anymore. (Correct me if I'm missing one somewhere.)

And, oh yes, the IC Light "Amphitheater". I went there once, again in the mid-90s. Plenty of pot smoking I could smell. The band that night was The Kinks. Yes, the once-great band, playing a parking lot by the tracks. Sheesh. Oh, I remember, it was during the regatta, and Ray Davies made up a little ditty "Regatta my ass". LOL Also something else made up that referenced the parking lot.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:13 PM

556 posts, read 1,222,889 times
My first ever concert was Weird Al at a free show at the IC Light Amphitheater in 1996ish?

After that I saw Superdrag/Nada Surf/The Meices at Graffiti, what a great venue and show.

I've been to far too many shows to remember details of many, I remember Jimmys Chicken Shack at Laga, Weezer at Metropol, Smashing Pumpkins at the Civic Arena, The original X Fests, Saw the Buzz Poets a ton at Nicks Fat City... so many shows lol

Old 12-13-2013, 03:36 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,776,412 times
My first concert was in April of 1974. The headliner was Sly and The Family Stone, with Rare Earth being the second act, and the opening act being Funkadelic, (This was shortly before George Clinton reactivated the Parliament name, and started making dance music, as opposed to the guitar rock that Funkadelic was then known for). Tickets were $4-$5 and $6. I had a seat on the floor, about a third of the way back. I remember the guy behind me had a tambourine that he beat the entire night. Sly had fallen badly into drugs by then, and had a reputation for missing concerts, which had the crowd on edge. However, he did show up, and it was a great night for a 15 year old kid to enjoy his first concert. Unlike most concerts during this era, it drew a very mixed race crowd, as Sly and Funkadelic were rockish enough to draw plenty of white fans, and Rare Earth was funky enough to be popular among blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh