Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 09:09 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Maybe the PennDot worker was in the wrong, but people need to calm down. They should waive the tickets, and people should go on with their lives. There is not always a need to punish people to the fullest extent possible, such as charging the PennDot worker.

Actually, that makes a lot of sense.

I bet Penndot workers were not given written instructions on how to deal with this kind of situation, and the workers were just winging it.

As the state really doesn't hire keen minds to man its tunnels, the possibility of an error of judgment definitely exists. This should give the Penndot bureaucrats in Harrisburg a chance to write procedures on what the workers should do the next time this comes down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 09:11 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Apparently you're not familiar with the concept of "time is money".
If you're going to hold PennDOT responsible for wasting peoples' time, this isn't even in the top 10,000 list of events.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:13 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
I strongly disagree. Doing nothing will only embolden these idiots. False imprisonment or unlawful detainment is a serious charge and does not even compare to a red light ticket, not even close. I know someone who was convicted of unlawful detainment for blocking someones path for about two minutes during a argument. So don't give me this "It's no big deal" line.
So the person you know got charged for blocking someones path for 2 minutes? That doesn't seem stupid to you? "It's no big deal" in that case should go to the person who persued the charges. It only became a big deal to your friend because the other person seems to have the "make you pay" attitude.

I am just saying, people who were not put out, should really think about the implications of their desire to make people pay for a mistake. And by mistake I mean in this situation. I don't consider DUI a mistake, or anything that actually has an impact on a life. However being late to pick up your chipped ham on a Thursday afternoon should not lead to criminal charges being pressed against someone.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I strongly disagree. Doing nothing will only embolden these idiots. False imprisonment or unlawful detainment is a serious charge and does not even compare to a red light ticket, not even close.
I strongly disagree with your strong disagreement. The workers are in very real danger if traffic flows by them while they are working. Road workers have a right to control traffic while they are working. PennDOT screwed up in how they operated here, but as a general rule, when you are in a car on a public road, you are playing in PennDOT's field.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:50 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,709,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I strongly disagree with your strong disagreement. The workers are in very real danger if traffic flows by them while they are working. Road workers have a right to control traffic while they are working. PennDOT screwed up in how they operated here, but as a general rule, when you are in a car on a public road, you are playing in PennDOT's field.
Well the law would likely disagree with you on that matter. PennDOT workers are not law enforcement and to allow them to makes such calls is far above their pay grade. Being on a state road does not give them enforcement powers over you. If the state police wanted to really pursue the people that entered the tunnel they could have tracked them down via the tunnel cameras after the fact. It was their call, not PennDOTs.

BTW, next time you see someone commit a traffic violation try and detain them for an hour and see how it turns out. Hopefully you'll be able access C-D from jail or the hospital.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
BTW, next time you see someone commit a traffic violation try and detain them for an hour and see how it turns out. Hopefully you'll be able access C-D from jail or the hospital.

Statistically speaking, the next traffic violation I'm going to see if a car failing to yield to me in a crosswalk. I'll just spit on it.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Well the law would likely disagree with you on that matter. PennDOT workers are not law enforcement and to allow them to makes such calls is far above their pay grade. Being on a state road does not give them enforcement powers over you.
I never said they were law enforcement. But by state law, you do have to obey their flaggers in construction zones. This wasn't a flagger, but the idea that you don't have to follow any traffic instructions from PennDOT employees nonsense. They never be able to repair a road* without the legal ability to stop traffic.

* Obvious one-liner: Why would they start now?

Old 12-13-2013, 10:07 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
PennDOT workers are not law enforcement and to allow them to makes such calls is far above their pay grade. Being on a state road does not give them enforcement powers over you.
Exactly, I don't know why this is a hard concept for people.

If the article is correct, some dude made the call to hold nearly 2 dozen people in a tunnel against their will just so they could get some sort of gratification in getting them all ticketed. Then the state police decided that it was OK to ticket them based on 1 person's word. How anyone can find this justified is beyond me.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:11 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,709,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I never said they were law enforcement. But by state law, you do have to obey their flaggers in construction zones. This wasn't a flagger, but the idea that you don't have to follow any traffic instructions from PennDOT employees nonsense. They never be able to repair a road* without the legal ability to stop traffic.

* Obvious one-liner: Why would they start now?
You're mixing two different things though. Yes, you're suppose to obey flaggers, but that is not the same thing as detaining someone. I have no problem if PennDOT had called the state police and turned over the security footage later. I just have a problem with them detaining drivers. Even cops get prosecuted and fired for this type of nonsense. Look at the Springdale cop who got fired earlier this year for detaining an off-duty county cop on false charges.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Yes, you're suppose to obey flaggers, but that is not the same thing as detaining someone.
I have a problem with that also, at least so far as pulling them off to the maintenance road. (I have no problem with them putting the truck where it physically blocks traffic from passing them while they work. You'd have to do that for safety if you are knocking ice from the roof onto the road.) Still, there's no way this will result in charges of false detention. Nor should it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh