Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 09:10 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
Consider the source. The same poster has made claims of heroically flashing his gun at would be car jackers in the Hill District on here, while being unable to explain how someone who lives quite a ways outside of the city somehow found themselves there in the middle of the night. Odds are we're probably getting a version of the story that has been bestowed with his particular flair for the dramatic.
You need to re-read that post. It was the middle of the day, I wasn't anywhere near the Hill District. As for an explanation as to why I'd venture anywhere near the city since I don't live in it, I know this might be incredibly difficult for you to understand but I was working. See, I'm a contractor. I actually travel to different places to work! Not only do I work all over the state of Pennsylvania, but I also travel to different states sometimes!

Wanna know what's REALLY scary n'nat? I don't have any family in the area anymore AND I live over an hour away (and in an entirely separate county) from where I was originally BORN! I'm breakin' ALL dem rules n'nat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 09:40 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
Mennonites are awesome and will throw money at you as long as you know how to deal with them. I work in Mennonite country a lot in the summers. I've painted a lot of silo caps & out building roofs for them on their farms. Give em' a good job and they'll invite you to their dinner table. Never an issue with the money either and they never dicker on the price. Good people. Just don't swear, smoke and be polite around em' and they'll treat you as one of their own.
I dunno, maybe some families are friendlier than others, but from my experience and the experience of friends who've worked on construction/roofing sites with them, Mennonites tend not to trust anyone from "the English world" and can be very stand-offish. They're saints in a crises- see flooding, Harrisburg, Hurricane Agnes, 1972- but I never found them to be very accepting of outsiders.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:58 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
I dunno, maybe some families are friendlier than others, but from my experience and the experience of friends who've worked on construction/roofing sites with them, Mennonites tend not to trust anyone from "the English world" and can be very stand-offish. They're saints in a crises- see flooding, Harrisburg, Hurricane Agnes, 1972- but I never found them to be very accepting of outsiders.
My childhood neighbors had a very close friendship with a Mennonite family. They visited each other's houses regularly throughout the years. They are great in a crisis. A few winters ago, a family saved my husband while he was stranded in the mountains during a blizzard for an entire night. My husband had no idea how they found him because he couldn't see a foot. They went out and found so many people---provided food, blankets and shelter.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:41 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
A few winters ago, a family saved my husband while he was stranded in the mountains during a blizzard for an entire night.
If it was anywhere in the southern Alleghenies, I can almost guarantee I know the family. Did the last name end with a Y?

Old 12-19-2013, 03:34 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Just watch out for the Amish.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:37 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,585,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
Suppose Granny Graylox has snow on her sidewalk. She calls Jimmy Wilson and his little brother Billy,
her teenage neighbors, to clear the snow. She pays them five dollars each. She notices that there is nothing to eat in her pantry or fridge. She has not had pizza in a long time and although she is on a fixed income, she decides to splurge. Meanwhile, the snow has returned. The delivery driver falls down on Granny' s sidewalk. He hurts his arm. Is he really going to sue the poor old lady over an act of God? Really?
Her homeowner's insurance, which is one of the reason's why you have homeowner's insurance. Her premium is going to go up, and that will be a difficult hardship for her no doubt if she is on a fixed income.

However, why you would expect a pizza delivery driver with a broken arm to be able to lose his ability to pay his bills and be ok with that?

Worker's comp is usually what? 2/3rds of one's salary? Is a pizza delivery driver working on tips and a small hourly base pay going to get more than 2/3rds of minimum wage? How will he/she pay all of their living expenses for several months? Up until recently people working in food service (like pizza delivery drivers) usually didn't have employer provided health insurance, or private policies that would cover an injury of this severity. So in addition to trying to live on less than minimum wage, being unable to find a new job immediately (no one will hire you with a broken arm), and incurring tens of thousands of dollars in medical debt.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:32 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
If it was anywhere in the southern Alleghenies, I can almost guarantee I know the family. Did the last name end with a Y?
I believe it was north of Shippensburg. I'll ask my husband if he remembers their last name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh