Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 01:53 PM

9,316 posts, read 12,911,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
A good college buddie of mine lives in Worchester, MA. His home is a typical Maronda pos. Around here, even in Soulless Cranberry, he would get 300-350K. He sold his 2 years ago for 750K.

This area is a bargain.
I know Boston is an expensive metro, but Worcester? Damn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 02:18 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,446,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I know Boston is an expensive metro, but Worcester? Damn.
Oops, I meant Beverly.

Brain cramp.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:19 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,101,134 times
Quote:
A good college buddie of mine lives in Worchester, MA. His home is a typical Maronda pos. Around here, even in Soulless Cranberry, he would get 300-350K. He sold his 2 years ago for 750K.

This area is a bargain.
Did you mean Worcester? If you meant there I'm shocked because I know someone that lives in the city of Worcester itself and cant wait to get out there next summer. It's not a good place to live from what I know.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Oops, I meant Beverly.

Brain cramp.
Ok, that makes a lot more sense, haha.

And yeah, housing is still pretty affordable in PGH. Any home in PGH would cost almost double in an equivalent part of Philly, which, while on the high COL side, is still leaps and bounds away from the rest of the major BosWash metros (save for Baltimore) and the West Coast.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:45 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,940,278 times
1. Housing Affordability: Not the cheapest anymore, and prices have risen in recent years. Still obviously not as expensive. Renting on the other hand is on par with most other cities.

2. World Class Hospitals: Of course. There's a lot of sick people here and the population is very aged. It's a goldmine for the health care industry.

3. Whip Smart & Cultured: If only they'd stay after they graduated.

4. Sports: "Waving those Terrible Towels might actually have some health benefits, too. "Sports fans are quite active physically, politically and socially," Daniel L. Wann, Murray State University psychology professor and author of Sports Fans: The Psychology And Social Impact Of Spectators, told CNN. "-This is the dumbest hypothesis I've ever read. Any health benefit Steelers fans may magically incur from screaming and waving a towel is negated by the alcohol and bad food they jam down their throats while doing so. Furthermore, any psychological euphoria attained by a Steelers win is countered two-fold by a Steelers loss. There are many fist-sized holes in the drywall of many Pittsburgh homes thanks to disappointing performances by Ben & Co.

5. Best To Retire: Sand vs. Snow when I'm 80......Hmmmmm.

6. Green Spaces: Sure, five months out of the year it's very "green" here.

7. Country's Most Secure: Our crime stats would say otherwise.

8. Reading Capital: Yes, thankfully Pittsburgh is literate.

9. Happy Employees: If thy surveys sayeth it so, whoeth am I to judge?

Old 12-20-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
1. Housing Affordability: Not the cheapest anymore, and prices have risen in recent years. Still obviously not as expensive. Renting on the other hand is on par with most other cities.

2. World Class Hospitals: Of course. There's a lot of sick people here and the population is very aged. It's a goldmine for the health care industry.

3. Whip Smart & Cultured: If only they'd stay after they graduated.

4. Sports: "Waving those Terrible Towels might actually have some health benefits, too. "Sports fans are quite active physically, politically and socially," Daniel L. Wann, Murray State University psychology professor and author of Sports Fans: The Psychology And Social Impact Of Spectators, told CNN. "-This is the dumbest hypothesis I've ever read. Any health benefit Steelers fans may magically incur from screaming and waving a towel is negated by the alcohol and bad food they jam down their throats while doing so. Furthermore, any psychological euphoria attained by a Steelers win is countered two-fold by a Steelers loss. There are many fist-sized holes in the drywall of many Pittsburgh homes thanks to disappointing performances by Ben & Co.

5. Best To Retire: Sand vs. Snow when I'm 80......Hmmmmm.

6. Green Spaces: Sure, five months out of the year it's very "green" here.

7. Country's Most Secure: Our crime stats would say otherwise.

8. Reading Capital: Yes, thankfully Pittsburgh is literate.

9. Happy Employees: If thy surveys sayeth it so, whoeth am I to judge?

1. Rents are higher than before, but still on the lower side.

2. Are there really more sick people here than elsewhere? The population skews older, no doubt.

3. There's plenty in the East End and affluent suburbs.

4. I'm not into sports myself, but the people who are never really bothered me. We all have our passions, 'n at.

5. I'd snow-bird it--PGH summers are much better than Florida or Arizona summers.

6. ...

7. Crime isn't that bad. It could be better; it could also be a lot worse. The lack of natural disasters, etc. is nice.

8. Indeed.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 12-20-2013 at 05:09 PM..

Old 12-20-2013, 05:17 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,299,701 times
Default Racism in Pittsburgh trumps what good exists

Some of the most racist and uncultured people I know were born in and still live in Pittsburgh. One comment to this article says that the place is quite racist, and I tend to agree with this. This trumps everything else. A city can have great medical care, great schools, cheap housing, supportive sports fans, and so forth, but if it is among the most racist and segregated cities in the country, it's nothing but a problem. Funny how these articles always assume that racism is not a topic worthy of consideration.

A great city is one where those who are members of groups who have been historically discriminated against, can thrive once they qualify themselves. Pittsburgh falls well short here. For instance, it's not a city where educated black people can thrive in. In my book, the lesson that Pittsburgh can teach the rest of the country, is not one that I care to respect, since pretending racism doesn't exist while practicing it, is never good.

Nice list of positive attributes of this city from the perspective of someone who is not a member of a group that is discriminated against, targeted for people who are same.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:23 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,232,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
One comment to this article says that the place is quite racist, and I tend to agree with this.
I missed that comment - can you point me to it? thx ...

Old 12-20-2013, 05:46 PM

510 posts, read 900,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
I missed that comment - can you point me to it? thx ...
One of the comments on the article, from a no doubt learned man called 'David D', heard someone here use the 'N' word. That means the city is incredibly racist in addition to having no affordable housing, terrible weather 8 months out of the year, and a constant exodus of all the young, educated people.
Did I miss anything?

Old 12-20-2013, 06:03 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,232,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveKendall View Post
One of the comments of the article, from a 'David D', heard someone here use the 'N' word. That means the city is incredibly racist in addition to having no affordable housing, terrible weather 8 months out of the year, and a constant exodus of all the young, educated people.
Did I miss anything?
I think your estimate of 8 months is a little on the low side. I'm with pghdude28, it's at least 13 .... . And why don't we just plant evergreen trees everywhere and get rid of those darn natives that shed leaves in our extensive parklands and state parks. We could have a mass tree-chop-a-thon so we have year round greenery, because April to November is simply not enough for any self-respecting city. Imagine if that happened in a world class city like New York or Boston

Comments on news article/videos are the sewer of the Interwebs. Not like these highly respectable forums we collectively contribute to with our erudite, informed commentary.

Time to get the bus to downtown, and fight off the hoards of racist old poor dumb people who hang out at Market Square. It's hell out there, folks. Hell ... I tell ya!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh