Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 05:23 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,091,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
On weekends, especially with all the Pitt students gone for break, try running up Cardiac Hill. Lothrop, Darragh, and DeSoto are pretty challenging. There is a long stretch of steps behind the Chevron Building (Pitt Engineering), which takes you up to Pennsylvania and Panther Halls, fraternity row (University Drive area). You'd want to do that when there are very few students on campus or mostly weekends.
Pitt Engineering is not located in Chevron. Benedum Hall is the home of the Swanson School of Engineering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 05:30 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,774,703 times
Besides stairs, another fun challenge is running up Mt Washington and Troy Hill. I run across the Liberty Bridge from downtown as a little warmup, then make a right turn up Mcardle and see how far I can go before needing a breather. I usually make it to the point where it passes under the incline, rest a bit, then run the rest of the way up.

Troy Hill can easily be added to a running route if you're running the North Shore Trail to Millvale. Take a little detour past Heinz Lofts and there is a pedestrian bridge that takes you over 28, then make a right turn up the hill.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:34 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,242,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
I ran to the top of the Cathedral plenty of times. I challenge you to beat me. Try not to be hungover the day of the race .
Any time dude. As long as I get a handicap for age, or we both go out drinking the night before and you keep up with me.

And as long as you don't tell EveKendall ...

What are the stats for the Cathedral anyway? I have no idea - it just looks tall from my office window. In summer I was at a conference at UBC, Vancouver, and went for a run along the beach to a famous nudist beach, had a swim and then ran back up 400+ steps back to campus. Was fun but tough, especially with no clothes on ... (oops ...)

Last edited by gortonator; 12-22-2013 at 06:22 PM..

Old 12-22-2013, 06:20 PM

268 posts, read 385,208 times
Cathedral - 38 flights of stairs. If you know how to get to each of them...that's half the fun!

Old 12-22-2013, 06:49 PM

510 posts, read 905,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainlove View Post
Cathedral Stairs are definitely beyond civility....but are also absolutely a kick ass workout. I start with running clothes, work my way up to hiking boots, then back pack with various amounts of weight in the backpack...every 3rd time up, I walk back down to work both sets of muscles without beating up the knee joints too badly.
HEY! I think some of your sweat was absorbed into my suit jacket on the elevator ride down...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh