Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 07:19 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,301 times

Advertisements

Because of the weather and terrain. Except for Southeastern PA, I have always considered this state another Alaska. People don't have time to deal with vanity or arrogance here.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:27 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,587,384 times
If this thread is having the same effect on others as on me, it seems worthwhile to note that Brooks Brothers is running a winter clearance.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Because of the weather and terrain. Except for Southeastern PA, I have always considered this state another Alaska. People don't have time to deal with vanity or arrogance here.
Oh, for G*d's sake!

I just clicked on "view first unread", and it put me on a new page, so I'll respond to a bunch of stuff at one w/o multiquoting the rest.

First of all, my friend, you have never lived in the midwest or Alaska to make such a statement. Even in the lower midwest, Central Illinois, it gets colder every winter than it does in a normal Pittsburgh winter.

Secondly, pajamas are hardly a cold-weather garment. If one were concerned about the cold, one would be more likely to show up at the grocery store in ski pants.

Thirdly, I find it hard to wrap my mind around "Pittsburgh is a hardworking city" (which it is) equating to people not having time to change their clothes. Keep in mind that the people in PJs either just got out of bed, or intentionally put them on to go out in public. Speaking as a Pittsburgh area native myself, I think this "lack of pretentiousness" that some talk about is just another form of pretentious.

Most cities, except retirement communities and perhaps some college towns, are hardworking cities. Let me hasten to add that even in college towns, the faculty and others work hard; there are just a lot of young adults running around to class 2-3 h a day and having a lot of other time on their hands. Ironically, on other city forums here on CD, people post that Pittsburgh is a more "laid-back" city than other eastern cities. On the Colorado forums, people say they want to leave the rat-race of the east/west coast. We tell them they're crazy, that Denver, too, is a hardworking city, where you cannot just decide to go skiing in the middle of the week and not show up for work. If people are going to the grocery store from work, they'd be in work clothes. Even the jobs where one works in bed (!) require one to actually get dressed to go out the door. When I was a student at Pitt, our uniform code stated we could not go into a state store in uniform (most of us were too young anyway) and we could only stop to make brief purchases while in uniform.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:52 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,162,955 times
This thread is funny. It sounds like people are equating 'workout clothes' with pajamas. They seem different to me, and workout clothes can be perfectly presentable (if not fancy). How are jeans so much 'fancier' than sweatpants?
And I am with those who think it is silly to worry about what people wear to the grocery store! As long as you are clean and the private parts are covered, what difference does it make? I find grocery shopping to be a loathsome chore, and I certainly don't see the need to dress a certain way for it.
FWIW, I have never seen people wearing pajamas to the grocery store around here. Although I did see an older man wearing what looked like slippers the other day. I didn't give it another thought.

Last edited by charisb; 01-06-2014 at 04:07 PM..

Old 01-06-2014, 03:56 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,910,771 times
hmm.. only time ive ever seen someone wear pjs were girls in HS or at college. never seen any going to the mall or shopping wise. then again I don't get why said girls would wear pjs to school...

now folks who are way out of shape wearing spandex.... that's a better topic to discuss.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:08 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,806,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
now folks who are way out of shape wearing spandex.... that's a better topic to discuss.
I think it's appropriate to expand the topic in that direction.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
I think it's appropriate to expand the topic in that direction.
Cute play on words. Which direction? Overweight people? Or spandex?

I'll go with spandex: Today's yoga pants are the spandex of the 1980s.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, for G*d's sake!

I just clicked on "view first unread", and it put me on a new page, so I'll respond to a bunch of stuff at one w/o multiquoting the rest.

First of all, my friend, you have never lived in the midwest or Alaska to make such a statement. Even in the lower midwest, Central Illinois, it gets colder every winter than it does in a normal Pittsburgh winter.

Secondly, pajamas are hardly a cold-weather garment. If one were concerned about the cold, one would be more likely to show up at the grocery store in ski pants.

Thirdly, I find it hard to wrap my mind around "Pittsburgh is a hardworking city" (which it is) equating to people not having time to change their clothes. Keep in mind that the people in PJs either just got out of bed, or intentionally put them on to go out in public. Speaking as a Pittsburgh area native myself, I think this "lack of pretentiousness" that some talk about is just another form of pretentious.

Most cities, except retirement communities and perhaps some college towns, are hardworking cities. Let me hasten to add that even in college towns, the faculty and others work hard; there are just a lot of young adults running around to class 2-3 h a day and having a lot of other time on their hands. Ironically, on other city forums here on CD, people post that Pittsburgh is a more "laid-back" city than other eastern cities. On the Colorado forums, people say they want to leave the rat-race of the east/west coast. We tell them they're crazy, that Denver, too, is a hardworking city, where you cannot just decide to go skiing in the middle of the week and not show up for work. If people are going to the grocery store from work, they'd be in work clothes. Even the jobs where one works in bed (!) require one to actually get dressed to go out the door. When I was a student at Pitt, our uniform code stated we could not go into a state store in uniform (most of us were too young anyway) and we could only stop to make brief purchases while in uniform.
How do you know where I have lived? You didn't know I lived out West on that other thread. I am not sure why you are stalking me from forum to forum but please stop.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
How do you know where I have lived? You didn't know I lived out West on that other thread. I am not sure why you are stalking me from forum to forum but please stop.
Stalking? I've been a regular poster here on the Pgh forum since I joined CD in 2007! In fact, I found CD while looking up some info about my hometown, Beaver Falls. I have also been a poster for just as long on the Colorado forums. I do not know what "other thread" you are talking about, but I have no interest in stalking anyone.

Do not attempt to tell me where to post or who I can respond to!

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-06-2014 at 06:02 PM..

Old 01-07-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Do not attempt to tell me where to post or who I can respond to!

I have reported you for harassment/bullying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh