Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2014, 08:30 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times

Advertisements

So Ohio State and their backup Qb are more deserving than TCU and Baylor? If they had their starting Qb, yes, with a backup Qb, no.

Last edited by erieguy; 12-08-2014 at 08:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 08:35 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
TCU didn't get screwed by anybody but their own conference.

Next time, maybe the Big 12 can at least have a conference champion.

BTW, I find so amusing now as I browse college football forums that Big 12 fans are concerned about their conference. I called here a while ago that they were in fact the unstable conference, but trolls here from another state tried to say it was the ACC who was unstable.

Anyway, take a look around and you'll see questions of what Big East leftovers they can add to reconfigure their conference and do a championship game.
In the end, the top four teams were exactly the same as if the BCS model were still in play. Had TCU beaten Baylor, maybe they would've been in over OSU. But they didn't, and for all intents and purposes, that was the B12 championship game.

As far as the B12 needing two more teams to have a championship game, I see a lot of Memphis/Cincy rumors. Either would at least provide an illusion for a potential WVU geographic rivalry, though neither school brings much to the table in any sport as far as TV revenue. The biggest fish out for pure economics/TV revenue are still BYU/Boise St./UConn, all more deserving than some of the "grandfathered" P5 schools, like Wake Forest.

While UAB's decision to end football has more to do with politics favoring Tuscaloosa and siphoning off money to Nick Saban's empire than other factors, I do think the increased power and autonomy of the P5 will have more G5 schools looking at whether FBS-level football is worth it.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:42 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
Quote:
In the end, the top four teams were exactly the same as if the BCS model were still in play.
Maybe, but the only truly logical way to do this is with conference champions. Otherwise, why have conferences? There is absolutely no fair way to do "rankings" It's bull s h i t and always leaves open questions at best.

This would also take away from the self perpetuating inflated ranking of SEC teams.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:49 AM

994 posts, read 901,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
It was in Oakland.

There's little difference in where they play. Most every recruit would rather play where the 6 time Super Bowl champs play, anyway. Pitt is just an insignificant program. Thinking that spending a gigantic amount of money on a stadium on campus is going to change the success of the program is ridiculous and a giant waste of money. If they were successful people would fill Heinz Field to watch them. They're not, so they don't. Imo they're lucky to get as many fans as they do.

Do you speak with the recruits? most of them would rather play on campus in a college atmosphere.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
Do you speak with the recruits? most of them would rather play on campus in a college atmosphere.
Really? Where are you getting that info?

Old 12-11-2014, 12:35 PM

419 posts, read 446,104 times
Quote:
I agree with this. Like I said, the recruits that are so enamored with sharing facilities with he Steelers are primarily two and three star recruits who choose Pitt over MAC schools or low to mid D1 schools. Most of the four and five star recruits become more smitten with the fact on their recruiting visits that they will play in college stadiums with 80,000 or so in a real college atmosphere rather than the fact that they get to play in a pro stadium. Yeah, Pitt may snag a four star here and their, like a Tyler Boyd or a Jordan Whithead, but most of these kids are local. Pitt does not have a bad football program. It is just mediocre, and has been for thirty years.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket88 View Post
I agree with this. Like I said, the recruits that are so enamored with sharing facilities with he Steelers are primarily two and three star recruits who choose Pitt over MAC schools or low to mid D1 schools. Most of the four and five star recruits become more smitten with the fact on their recruiting visits that they will play in college stadiums with 80,000 or so in a real college atmosphere rather than the fact that they get to play in a pro stadium. Yeah, Pitt may snag a four star here and their, like a Tyler Boyd or a Jordan Whithead, but most of these kids are local. Pitt does not have a bad football program. It is just mediocre, and has been for thirty years.
No stadium is going to attract quality recruits to Pitt. They could have their own Stadium made of gold and quality players are still going to a quality program. Pitt will never be a quality program. It's a stepping stone for coaches and a place for average players with a few stars ever so often.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:48 PM

994 posts, read 901,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
No stadium is going to attract quality recruits to Pitt. They could have their own Stadium made of gold and quality players are still going to a quality program. Pitt will never be a quality program. It's a stepping stone for coaches and a place for average players with a few stars ever so often.
Heinz Field is more of a hinderance to Pitt Football. When recruits see a half empty stadium with Steelers colored seats, it sends a strong message. That wouldn't happen with an on campus stadium. If you want to argue the worth of spending for a new stadium, that is a valid argument, but I am convinced that renting a pro stadium does more harm than good.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Heinz Field is more of a hinderance to Pitt Football. When recruits see a half empty stadium with Steelers colored seats, it sends a strong message. That wouldn't happen with an on campus stadium. If you want to argue the worth of spending for a new stadium, that is a valid argument, but I am convinced that renting a pro stadium does more harm than good.
Really? I'll ask again. Where are you getting this info?

Recruits could care less about a filled stadium. The fact is that no number of quality recruits wake up saying "I want to go to Pitt". 90+% of them have higher aspirations. Thinking they're going to want to come here or play better with a smaller stadium is wishful thinking.

There's no real incentive to come to a lackluster program, coaching carousel, etc..., to play college ball.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:29 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
The long chain of events sparked by impatience with Bo Pelini has snaked through the NCAA from my old home to my new one. It looks like Paul Chryst is getting promoted to the Big 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh