Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2016, 11:59 AM

325 posts, read 323,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Last night was embarrassing for Pitt. Prime-Time nationally televised game against a ranked opponent with the conference still in reach, and you only draw 40,000 fans? Head coach acting like a child on the sidelines and after the game?

The culture of mediocrity continues..
this will continue to happen until they build a stadium on campus.. so dumb not to.. tear down trees hall and put it there n'at
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 12:08 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Trees is essential - tearing it down just means rebuilding.
A stadium on campus is not the answer either. (That has been debated ad nauseum here....).

Old 10-28-2016, 12:12 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky329 View Post
this will continue to happen until they build a stadium on campus.. so dumb not to.. tear down trees hall and put it there n'at
Yeah, a stadium for Pitt to play 6 games a year isn't going to help them win. Heinz Field draws more attendance than Pitt Stadium did. The lack of significance is the reason the stands aren't full. Perhaps Narduzzi will change that by getting quality recruits, winning, and sticking around. If you win they will come. If you don't they won't. The "same old Pitt" moniker needs to go away and only winning will do that. Uniforms and stadiums don't equal winning.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:34 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Last night was embarrassing for Pitt. Prime-Time nationally televised game against a ranked opponent with the conference still in reach, and you only draw 40,000 fans? Head coach acting like a child on the sidelines and after the game?

The culture of mediocrity continues..
As a long-time Pitt season ticket holder and an alumnus, I have occasionally been embarrassed by the Pitt football program. Not harboring and enabling a pedophile embarrassed, but embarrassed all the same. Very little about last night was embarrassing.

Aside from wishing for a different outcome, I'm largely OK with attending a very entertaining, back and forth game on national TV that Pitt lost by a field goal. I like just about everything with Coach Narduzzi. He's in only his second year and obviously still getting the players (1 class of recruits so far), especially defensive backs, that he needs to play his defensive scheme. I would be far more worried if he didn't have a defensive pedigree and a history of success with his philosophy. I supported Chryst but enjoy Narduzzi's fire more.

I've said it before but building an on campus football stadium in Oakland would be pure folly. Traffic is bad enough just getting to a game at the Pete let alone a crown that's potentially 3 or 4 times as large. My sense is that a lot of people that actually don't go to Pitt games and are unlikely to ever go to many Pitt games think it's a good idea.

Overall, and maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm largely OK with what the Pitt football program is and where it's going. Sure, I'd like to win a couple more games, maybe a Coastal Division championship every once in a while, and play in the ACC Championship game. Pitt's academic profile is greatly improved over the last several decades which brings me far more pride as an alum than beating VT last night would have. Pitt is what it is, a large, not huge, urban university with respectable if not outstanding football and basketball programs. If they only get 45,000 per game, who cares? I'm there because I like the atmosphere and the product. Honestly, I like only having a crazy, full house game day atmosphere once or twice a year.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:59 PM

Good thing Pitt beat PSU. I'm not sure tix holders/alumni could've taken the loss, especially with still harboring resentment for a more popular PSU program and using a scandal where everyone involved is either dead, in jail, or waiting to go to try to make Pitt more significant.

Unfortunately, if/when Narduzzi does turn it around he's going to be lured away.

While I'm a Narduzzi fan, he did look ridiculous last night.

Last edited by erieguy; 10-28-2016 at 01:09 PM..

Old 10-28-2016, 01:20 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
... using a scandal where everyone involved is either dead, in jail, or waiting to go to try to make Pitt more significant.
...or in therapy trying to deal with persistent complications of a stolen youth due to willful neglect of adults who should have protected them.

Pretty typical of a PSU supporter to completely minimize, overlook and forget about the victims of their football program's enabling of a pedophile.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:28 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
...or in therapy trying to deal with persistent complications of a stolen youth due to willful neglect of adults who should have protected them.
Plus, the criminal legal cases aren't even done. Spanier is still untried and under indictment. I forget about the others.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:39 PM

325 posts, read 323,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Yeah, a stadium for Pitt to play 6 games a year isn't going to help them win. Heinz Field draws more attendance than Pitt Stadium did. The lack of significance is the reason the stands aren't full. Perhaps Narduzzi will change that by getting quality recruits, winning, and sticking around. If you win they will come. If you don't they won't. The "same old Pitt" moniker needs to go away and only winning will do that. Uniforms and stadiums don't equal winning.

I disagree, the reason the stands aren't full because the stadium is to big.. pitt needs a 25-40k seat stadium.. look at the nice baseball field they have.. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4440...7i13312!8i6656

should have made that split between both sports.. college baseball is not popular around here

Old 10-28-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post

Pretty typical of a PSU supporter to completely minimize, overlook and forget about the victims of their football program's enabling of a pedophile.
If the scandal was in a different state/school you wouldn't even bring it up...but since PSU is in the same state and more significant than Pitt it's the only excuse you can come up with to try to downgrade the program. Those that are there now can't help what those before them did.

I'm not a supporter of PSU. I'm a realist who isn't jealous of a football program that's bigger than Pitt. If that was the case I'd have to be jealous of a large amount of college football programs.

Last edited by erieguy; 10-28-2016 at 01:48 PM..

Old 10-28-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky329 View Post
I disagree, the reason the stands aren't full because the stadium is to big.. pitt needs a 25-40k seat stadium.. look at the nice baseball field they have.. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4440...7i13312!8i6656

should have made that split between both sports.. college baseball is not popular around here
25-40k? Get your sights up and don't be so quick to dismiss winning. This isn't pop warner ball. Winning is everything and fans don't show up to see teams consistently lose. Pitt hasn't been significant since the 80's yet attendance at Heinz Field has averaged more than at Pitt Stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh