Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 01:33 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveKendall View Post
Not to belabor the point, but isn't this how a lot of young people feel about how they grew up, regardless of what the place is actually like? My husband and I are both from places that tiourists flock to, but neither of us wanted to live there permanently. I have heard people who grew up in NYC, Albuquerque, Seattle, Sydney, and London express this sentiment. One man's poison is another man's meat.
No place is just terrible across the board. Of course, you usually have to make some effort to get something out of the place. If you hate where you live I do not understand why you don't move. And if you do move from a place you did not like, I do not understand why you would frequent its forums to talk about how bad the place is. Some people just like to be miserable.
Well, yes, there is that. Some of my friends can't understand why young adults who've grown up here in CO want to leave, but the urge to spread one's wings is overpowering for some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 01:37 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,231,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, yes, there is that. Some of my friends can't understand why young adults who've grown up here in CO want to leave, but the urge to spread one's wings is overpowering for some.
It's a big, fun world. I'd encourage anyone to explore and experience it. You find out a lot about yourself along the way ...

Old 01-10-2014, 03:58 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,826,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
It's a big, fun world. I'd encourage anyone to explore and experience it. You find out a lot about yourself along the way ...
I would not have known how much I like Pgh if I hadn't lived in a number of other places in between sojourns here.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:27 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,891,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's very true. Obviously Pittsburgh isn't going to be a good fit for everyone, and if they can, people should move around to see the world. At the same time, I always get a chuckle of the people who complain about how Pittsburgh sucks, who later drop info that they're just bored playing video games with their high school buddies in West Mifflin or whatever, and haven't really investigated the "new" Pittsburgh or met new people.
Quite true, or the don't cross the river, haahha

Old 01-10-2014, 08:51 PM

595 posts, read 595,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's very true. Obviously Pittsburgh isn't going to be a good fit for everyone, and if they can, people should move around to see the world. At the same time, I always get a chuckle of the people who complain about how Pittsburgh sucks, who later drop info that they're just bored playing video games with their high school buddies in West Mifflin or whatever, and haven't really investigated the "new" Pittsburgh or met new people.
Perfectly said. Most of the people I know that hate "Pittsburgh" have never spent time in the city and run in a lot of the same/small circles of people in Cranberry, West Mifflin, White Oak, Bellevue, etc...

I had a friend that was moving to Arizona from Bellevue this past fall because of family and that "Pittsburgh" was boring. Turns out she had never been on an incline or been to Grandview Ave, never saw a sunrise from Grandview Park, never been to the Point, never spent time in the South Side, never been to the Warhol Museum, never been to Schenley Park, and never went to the Strip District in the morning. We spent a good portion of the past summer taking her to experience these things to get a good experience of the city before she left for Arizona to "never return".

She's moving back in 2 weeks - this time to the SS Slopes.

I know if I spent most of my time in North Huntingdon playing video games, "Pittsburgh" would seem pretty boring too.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:00 PM

14,360 posts, read 16,875,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lprmesia View Post
I know if I spent most of my time in North Huntingdon playing video games, "Pittsburgh" would seem pretty boring too.
Let's be honest though. The kind of people who do this would do it anywhere, city or suburb.

Also relevant.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:49 AM

419 posts, read 548,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lprmesia View Post
Perfectly said. Most of the people I know that hate "Pittsburgh" have never spent time in the city and run in a lot of the same/small circles of people in Cranberry, West Mifflin, White Oak, Bellevue, etc...

I had a friend that was moving to Arizona from Bellevue this past fall because of family and that "Pittsburgh" was boring. Turns out she had never been on an incline or been to Grandview Ave, never saw a sunrise from Grandview Park, never been to the Point, never spent time in the South Side, never been to the Warhol Museum, never been to Schenley Park, and never went to the Strip District in the morning. We spent a good portion of the past summer taking her to experience these things to get a good experience of the city before she left for Arizona to "never return".

She's moving back in 2 weeks - this time to the SS Slopes.

I've lived in Oakland (North, South, Central), Southside (Flats and Slopes), and Shadyside. Each year I moved around to experience the different neighborhoods. I go to Schenley often in the summer. Spent a lot of weekends in southside. I've also traveled elsewhere to other cities. IMO, Pittsburgh is simply mediocre. It is overly hyped. Is it a bad place for young professionals? No. Is it a destination for young professionals? No. I would consider myself a young professional because of my age, my full time status, and in a career tailored to what I wanted to pursue. Not a service industry one, unless it was management. With all of that said, Pittsburgh isn't bad but it does lack a real sticking point for young professionals to stay here.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:08 PM

510 posts, read 900,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
I've lived in Oakland (North, South, Central), Southside (Flats and Slopes), and Shadyside. Each year I moved around to experience the different neighborhoods. I go to Schenley often in the summer. Spent a lot of weekends in southside. I've also traveled elsewhere to other cities. IMO, Pittsburgh is simply mediocre. It is overly hyped. Is it a bad place for young professionals? No. Is it a destination for young professionals? No. I would consider myself a young professional because of my age, my full time status, and in a career tailored to what I wanted to pursue. Not a service industry one, unless it was management. With all of that said, Pittsburgh isn't bad but it does lack a real sticking point for young professionals to stay here.
But living in different neighborhoods in one city is nothing like exploring other arts of the county (or the world). If you have no comparison you cannot know how things really are. If I had never left my hometown I probably would have thought it was a terrible place, and idealized the life I could have had somewhere else. Now that I have lived all over I know my hometown is pretty great, although I enjoy living here right now.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:38 PM

419 posts, read 548,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveKendall View Post
But living in different neighborhoods in one city is nothing like exploring other arts of the county (or the world). If you have no comparison you cannot know how things really are. If I had never left my hometown I probably would have thought it was a terrible place, and idealized the life I could have had somewhere else. Now that I have lived all over I know my hometown is pretty great, although I enjoy living here right now.
My response was to the poster claiming that people who don't like it here normally spend all of their time playing video games or don't leave their immediate surroundings (e.g. West Mifflin, Bellevue, N. Huntingdon). I was saying I lived in various neighborhoods in Pgh. I also grew up in rural and suburban areas of Allegheny County. I do travel several times a year and have visited many cities across the U.S. There are a list of places I'm researching to move to, but I'm held back due to my job. My job is the only attractant of me staying. When I graduated college in 2007, I was optimistic of Pittsburgh's so-called young professional scene. Nearly seven years later, I have found it is not real big. A lot of old is still dominating this city and region. These old leaders refuse to pass "the torch to a new generation." These old Baby Boomers are not embracing the youth of today. Oddly they had a young, charismatic President in their youth eager to pass it on to them. I refer to the Baby Boomers of the Pittsburgh region, not elsewhere. Don't mean to stereotype them all.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:13 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,452,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
My response was to the poster claiming that people who don't like it here normally spend all of their time playing video games or don't leave their immediate surroundings (e.g. West Mifflin, Bellevue, N. Huntingdon). I was saying I lived in various neighborhoods in Pgh. I also grew up in rural and suburban areas of Allegheny County. I do travel several times a year and have visited many cities across the U.S. There are a list of places I'm researching to move to, but I'm held back due to my job. My job is the only attractant of me staying. When I graduated college in 2007, I was optimistic of Pittsburgh's so-called young professional scene. Nearly seven years later, I have found it is not real big. A lot of old is still dominating this city and region. These old leaders refuse to pass "the torch to a new generation." These old Baby Boomers are not embracing the youth of today. Oddly they had a young, charismatic President in their youth eager to pass it on to them. I refer to the Baby Boomers of the Pittsburgh region, not elsewhere. Don't mean to stereotype them all.
I grew up in the Northern burbs and went to a large high school in Pittsburgh. In the 90's we never went downtown really. There wasn't really much to see or do outside station square and Oakland. It has changed a lot in the last 15 yrs and it's becoming a better place. However I think most of the new development downtown will be like Homestead and just turn back ghetto after time.

Most of the people I knew in high school that were smart and motivated are no longer in the area. I don't think that they are attracting the young professionals that they claim. Salaries are much lower in Pitt and the property taxes are too high. I miss the area and my family, but I could never have the career there that I have in CO. My wife is the oldest of 4, they all are in college and I don't think any will be able to stay. It's just the reality. I actually know quite a few people I went to HS with in Pitt that now live in CO. Jobs and lifestyle.

Your comment about the youth of today though, so many employers despise the youth of today. My company won't hire any recent grad. Every interview we get, they want top pay with 0 experience. It's kind of a joke. My wife's siblings all have that attitude as well. My cousins never worked in HS or college and they can't find any good work and they think they are too good for entry level jobs. Just the generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh