Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 06:24 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,496 times

Advertisements

You are 15-20 years too late to find a house like that one in that price range on the lower north side.

Check floodsmart.gov for flood maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 06:31 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
That house is perfect, absolutely gorgeous, but it's just a bit high for me. I'd have to take out a small mortgage. Now if I could get it for $65K, then I could buy it outright.

But it's in Millvale, and I know parts flood (but I don't know which parts flood).
Seriously, you wouldn't take out a $15,000 mortgage?
You crazy Millennials (I am assuming you are one)!

Old 01-17-2014, 06:39 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
And if you're priced out of one nice neighborhood, another neighborhood will spruce up and take its place. Lots of lower-scale areas with good bones that are dying to be revitalized. Needless to say, you've probably got a long while before the nearest affordable nice place is beyond the city limits.
Quote:
You're right, and I would buy if the right house came along. However, do you know how difficult it is to find a house on the lower North Side, even in the unfashionable neighborhoods, that (1) is in my price range, and (2) has its original woodwork, doors, mantels, 10 ft ceilings, etc.? It seems almost impossible. Sure, many affordable homes come to the market, but most have had everything original about them dismantled, ripped out, and thrown away. This is the common scenario: The house may have been built in 1885, but everything about it, from the siding to its complete interior, screams 1970s.
Hip Priest, you do have cause for concern if your primary goal is to have a mostly intact 19th century home in a walkable area. Those really could all be gentrified within the next 10 years or so, especially if "more than $65K" is your benchmark for gentrification.

Now that being said; it's simply a personal preference you have. Most people would be fine in slightly newer housing which is in no short supply as HeavenWood pointed out.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:41 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
Seriously, you wouldn't take out a $15,000 mortgage?
You crazy Millennials (I am assuming you are one)!
If I remember right Hip Priest is debt free and wants to stay that way on principle. But for what it's worth, I think many Millennials are debt adverse because they witnessed the effects of the housing crash and are still recovering from the "Great Recession." Add in the fact that many are shouldered with heavy student loan debt before they even start their careers and even "just $15K" can be hard to stomach.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:57 PM

654 posts, read 945,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
If I remember right Hip Priest is debt free and wants to stay that way on principle. But for what it's worth, I think many Millennials are debt adverse because they witnessed the effects of the housing crash and are still recovering from the "Great Recession." Add in the fact that many are shouldered with heavy student loan debt before they even start their careers and even "just $15K" can be hard to stomach.
Yes, I'm completely debt free and that gives me a lot of piece of mind. But even if I wanted a mortgage, I don't know if I would qualify for a one, since I've never had a loan, not even a car loan, nor do I have any revolving credit; I have one credit card, but I pay it off each month.

Anyway, one would think that a buyer would be able to find intact, Victorian-era homes for under $65,000 in places like Troy Hill, Spring Hill, Fineview, or East Deutschtown. The housing stock in those communities is mainly Victorian, and I would venture to guess that many of the homes would retain their original details, since their owners probably didn't have the funds to upgrade and remodel. Prices should be low there, I would think, because after all, those neighborhoods aren't trendy; we're not talking about the War Streets or Allegheny West. But it's more challenging than you'd think.

The Woods Run Valley is interesting, but I'm reluctant to move there, because I personally don't think that neighborhood has much of a future. I fear gentrification, but on the other hand, I also fear neighborhoods slipping so much that they cease to be communities. My concern is that it will become another Spring Garden. Central Ave. and Grand Ave. (off of Woods Run) have some very cool homes, though. (Is that area considered Woods Run or Marshall-Shadeland?)

Last edited by The King of Um; 01-17-2014 at 07:16 PM..

Old 01-17-2014, 07:00 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm completely debt free and that gives me a lot of piece of mind. But even if I wanted a mortgage, I don't know if I would qualify for a one, since I've never had a loan, not even a car loan, nor do I have any revolving credit; I have one credit card, but I pay it off each month.

Anyway, one would think that a buyer would be able to find intact, Victorian-era homes for under $65,000 in places like Troy Hill, Spring Hill, Fineview, or East Deutschtown. The housing stock in those communities is mainly Victorian, and I would venture to guess that many of the homes would retain their original details, since their owners probably didn't have the funds to upgrade and remodel. Prices should be low there, I would think, because after all, those neighborhoods aren't exactly trendy; we're not talking about the War Streets or Allegheny West. But it's more challenging than you'd think.
Have you tried contacting property owners about empty (but intact looking) properties which aren't on the market? Often this is the best way to find cheap houses in neighborhoods without a lot of for-sale housing stock.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:07 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:

Anyway, one would think that a buyer would be able to find intact, Victorian-era homes for under $65,000 in places like Troy Hill, Spring Hill, Fineview, or East Deutschtown. The housing stock in those communities is mainly Victorian, and I would venture to guess that many of the homes would retain their original details, since their owners probably didn't have the funds to upgrade and remodel..

Why would you think that someone with the wherewithal to buy a home wouldn't look to periodically upgrade and remodel? These communities, historically, all had family men as owners who had full time employment and many had to update their domiciles as their families grew and changed- as well as changes in taste and technology. Little reason to keep 4 or more chimneys in operation if you switch from space heaters to central heating, or from coal to gas for heat or from gas to electricity for light.

The current situation of mostly old people and section 8 landlords without funds is the recent situation in these areas, not the way the neighborhoods were for the last 100 years.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:14 PM

654 posts, read 945,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Have you tried contacting property owners about empty (but intact looking) properties which aren't on the market? Often this is the best way to find cheap houses in neighborhoods without a lot of for-sale housing stock.
No, but I've been meaning to do this. I have my eye on a few homes in the East Deutschtown/Spring Hill area that are vacant, yet appear to be in decent condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh