Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 02:28 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
A house is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.
Maybe, but if they are going to borrow money to buy it, the bank will have something to say about it. It would have to appraise and those examples certainly won't. Better be a cash buyer or have a very large downpayment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 02:49 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,091,748 times
I see 185 Almond Way (http://goo.gl/maps/aIhUP) went for $250,000 in December. Previous purchase, January 2013, $80K.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:07 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
A lot of green space over here in L'ville- a couple of major parks, a couple of large cemeteries, what else would you expect in an urban area.
Ok, there's Arsenal Park, the Cemetery, and... five trees on Butler St? A bunch of "back yards" made up of weeds peeking through slabs of concrete?

Two sweltering summers on 42nd St soured me to LV. Admittedly, I have a personal bias towards the old streetcar suburbs and 'tween the wars architecture over more densely constructed, Victorian era neighborhoods. I suppose I've too much rural ancestry to abide concrete jungles.

Sorry eschaton, I'll eventually get all the Lawrenceville bashing out of my system (and if it was still reasonably priced, I wouldn't feel such a need to).

Old 01-10-2014, 04:19 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
I see 185 Almond Way (http://goo.gl/maps/aIhUP) went for $250,000 in December. Previous purchase, January 2013, $80K.
In addition to renovating the entire house, he also added a dormer to make the third floor much much larger. Likely put 80-100k into it.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:39 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
Ok, there's Arsenal Park, the Cemetery, and... five trees on Butler St? A bunch of "back yards" made up of weeds peeking through slabs of concrete?

Two sweltering summers on 42nd St soured me to LV. Admittedly, I have a personal bias towards the old streetcar suburbs and 'tween the wars architecture over more densely constructed, Victorian era neighborhoods. I suppose I've too much rural ancestry to abide concrete jungles.

Sorry eschaton, I'll eventually get all the Lawrenceville bashing out of my system (and if it was still reasonably priced, I wouldn't feel such a need to).
If you live down by the river, it's pretty easy to walk and see greenspace. It's not like Lawrenceville is Bloomfield or anything.

Regardless, I think city neighborhoods should look like city neighborhoods, not suburbs. When I first moved to Pittsburgh, I boggled that a neighborhood like Squirrel Hill was inside the city.

One of the best things (hell, at this point, the best thing) about Lawrenceville is seeing how rapidly it's changing. You go down a street you haven't been on in three months, and see a dumpster in front of a formerly abandoned house now being restored. On watch the new building being constructed on Butler Street. You don't get this level of dynamism many other places in Pittsburgh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
In addition to renovating the entire house, he also added a dormer to make the third floor much much larger. Likely put 80-100k into it.
They also built a brand new extension off the back of the house, which significantly increased the square footage.

Went there on an open house to see it, and it was really well done considering the price. They actually put hardwood floors in everywhere (not just the first floor) for example. The only downside to the house was it was on an alley so narrow that on-street parking is absent. Otherwise we might have considered upgrading to it.

Last edited by eschaton; 01-10-2014 at 06:48 PM..

Old 01-10-2014, 06:46 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
after reading this thread and seeing the asking prices, i need a drink.

in 2016 i'll probably be gone - too old to want to do a rehab, but always too poor to afford even a semi-decent house in this city.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:37 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
If you live down by the river, it's pretty easy to walk and see greenspace. It's not like Lawrenceville is Bloomfield or anything.
Fair point. I did have a few inebriated nights that ended.... or possible started?... down by the river.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Regardless, I think city neighborhoods should look like city neighborhoods, not suburbs. When I first moved to Pittsburgh, I boggled that a neighborhood like Squirrel Hill was inside the city.
Obviously this is all just a matter of taste, but to me, neighborhoods like Squirrel Hill, Friendship, Brookline, etc. make Pittsburgh what it is, instead of just being South Philly with hills.

Personal opinions aside, Lawrenceville is undeniably one of the most vibrant neighborhoods in the city. It has the best collection of bars in town (Veggie burger at Remedy's and a show at Belvie's? Yes and yes.), and I did enjoy the surprisingly harmonious blend of yinzers, yuppies, indie rockers, middle-class blacks, and wannabe thugs (white and black) when I lived there.

I can see why NYC writers are attracted to it. And whatever keeps real estate creeps focused on the East End and ignoring Dormont/Beechview/Brookline is fine by me.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:12 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Read this article a few days ago. There is no doubt in my mind that Pittsburgh is a way better than it was even just a few years ago. But these articles just don't do it for me. Why? Because they writing the same damn thing over and over again.

"lol they talk funny!", "omg an incline!", "fries on food! #YOLO", "omg people would totally go to here if it was in Europe!", "wtf Lawrenceville is so cool!", "this place used to be a sh*thole and now it's an average American city! #SWAG"

It's the same thing we've read a dozen times. It's as if journalists went to Wikitravel and just wrote an article about it, it's sad. Here's a proposal to all these journalists out there, how about writing something that people may not actually know about Pittsburgh? Maybe I should start a new thread to give them some ideas.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:16 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
…"this place used to be a sh*thole and now it's an average American city! #SWAG"
It is better than an "average American city". I have been to a ton of them. Pittsburgh does well. Sure it has some issues, but at the moment, Pittsburgh is a bargain compared to most places with so much to do. Yes Aqua, there are lots to do here. Small city, but doing pretty well.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:31 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,393,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Read this article a few days ago. There is no doubt in my mind that Pittsburgh is a way better than it was even just a few years ago. But these articles just don't do it for me. Why? Because they writing the same damn thing over and over again.

"lol they talk funny!", "omg an incline!", "fries on food! #YOLO", "omg people would totally go to here if it was in Europe!", "wtf Lawrenceville is so cool!", "this place used to be a sh*thole and now it's an average American city! #SWAG"

It's the same thing we've read a dozen times. It's as if journalists went to Wikitravel and just wrote an article about it, it's sad. Here's a proposal to all these journalists out there, how about writing something that people may not actually know about Pittsburgh? Maybe I should start a new thread to give them some ideas.
I would like to see an article written from a young professional that lives and works in pittsbugh. It would also be nice to hear a variety of peoples experiences. The articles written are just feel good pats on the back. Where are the stories of young professionals starting a business and having a family hère?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh