Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 10:13 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I have lived nowhere but in cities since I left home to go to college many years ago, and not one of them was not "a city of neighborhoods."

I've lived in these neighborhoods:
Oakland (Pgh)
Shadyside
Foggy Bottom
Upper West Side
Greenwich Village
Ocean Park
Capitol Hill (Seattle)
Queen Anne Hill
Pike Place Market
NW Portland (OR)
Adams-Morgan
Dupont Circle
Squirrel Hill
East Liberty
I missed this the first time around. I definitely agree. I haven't lived in a lot of cities, just Pittsburgh and Denver, but they both have neighborhoods, as does my DH's home city, Omaha, and every other danged city I ever visited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
Why can't Pittsburgh just be Pittsburgh? Why does it need to be San Francisco, or Portland, or some other trendy place? The one thing I like about Pittsburgh is that it has a unique identity. It doesn't have to pretend to be something it's not. It's disctinctive on its own.
Agreed. That is in fact true of every city. But I do not see too many cities trying to be the "San Francisco of . . . " or the Seattle of . . . . or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicamerican View Post
I'm not proposing a gift shop.

I'm asking why there aren't small businesses (think pubs and art galleries and street vendors -- selling nice things) to give people who have ridden the incline something to do and buy once up there. You've brought a group of people to a particular point (which is a good thing), but there is no effort made to engage them or get them to spend money. That's one of the main points of tourism, and tourism is a good thing.

I think the experience as is feels cheap, partly because the top of Mt. Washington seems so dead and dated.
I like the park-like setting at the top. It should be obvious to anyone up there that you can walk around and find a restaurant or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 10:54 AM

295 posts, read 657,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
How does it take more effort to get to Pittsburgh from DC (4 hours) than San Francisco to Portland (10 hours)?
Back then, I mostly flew, cheap (at that time) 1 hr. 15 minute flights from San Francisco to Portland. I have done the ride though, and yes, it's long. I would not fly from DC to Pittsburgh, though, when you can get a bus ticket for less than $50, not to mention that the bus takes you right to downtown Pittsburgh.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:38 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,740,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
After moving back East from the West Coast I got a job offer in Columbus. I told the HR person I was going to explore the city and asked what unique things there are to see. He seemed confused and after awhile mentioned the state fair and how they had this great butter sculpture of a cow.
This is hilarious. especially about the cow.

You need to have a sit-down with zman and get your mind right, by the way. This type of talk is not allowed here. I am starting to suspect he was fired by the Pittsburgh visitor's bureau or something.

Last edited by _Buster; 02-19-2014 at 11:54 AM..

Old 02-19-2014, 11:46 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,685,373 times
Columbus is as bland of a "major" city as it comes. There is almost nothing that I envy about that town.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:51 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,200,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Columbus is as bland of a "major" city as it comes. There is almost nothing that I envy about that town.

Why the "quotes" around "major"? Columbus is certainly a major city by any metric I can imagine, its the largest town in Ohio, regardless of how boring you find it to be.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:59 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,134,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Why the "quotes" around "major"? Columbus is certainly a major city by any metric I can imagine, its the largest town in Ohio, regardless of how boring you find it to be.
I mean... it's at least debatable. With fewer than 2 million in population, it's like the 32nd largest metro area in the country, akin to Kansas City or Nashville. And Cleveland has almost a million more in the metro area / a far higher profile nationally (in terms of culture and GDP). It just depends on where you feel the "major" cut-off exists.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:31 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,684,892 times
I like Columbus a lot. I was there recently and the people were so nice. There was plenty to see and do and it definitely a major city. If there is anything I prefer in Columbus over Pittsburgh it's the traffic, the people, the availability of late night establishments, the cleanliness, and the lack of pot holes.

I can totally see the "bland" critique though. Lots of chains/sprawl/new development plans. Is it a better city than Pittsburgh? Not to me at age 29, but maybe I would prefer it if I "settled down".

Old 02-19-2014, 01:46 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,685,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Columbus is a third-tier metro area. More often than not, metro areas clocking in under the 2 million mark aren't considered to be a major market.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:10 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,684,892 times
The Pittsburgh metro is also 2500 square miles bigger though and it encompasses 3 states.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:37 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,073,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
The Pittsburgh metro is also 2500 square miles bigger though and it encompasses 3 states.
No, that would be the Pittsburgh CSA.

Pittsburgh metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh